Gross Vehicle Weight - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2006, 11:02 pm Thread Starter

Gross Vehicle Weight

I notice that the new GT has an unladen weight with full tank of 622 pounds, which is almost the same as the RS. Surprisingly, the maximus permissible weigh is 997 pounds. Unless my subtraction skills are amiss that leaves only 370 pounds which can be placed on the new GT.

This is fine for one large rider with gear and luggage but doesn't seem to be adequate for two riders plus gear and luggage. AUnless of course the two riders are not large and are very slim. I know with gear I dress out at about 265 pounds and most of the people I know weigh more than 105 pounds. I'm sure my luggage doesn't weigh in over 105 pounds so the new GT would be fine for me since my wife doesn't get on the back.

It seems like the new GT is not going to be the best pick for two up touring for most average couples. Even though the engine and transmission will have no trouble with excess weight apparently BMW did not design the frame and suspension to handle more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 2006, 1:27 pm

GVWR- S vs. GT

What's really bizarre is that the K1200S can carry 446 lbs. of people and cargo. So I guess BMW added 76 lbs. of fairing and other stuff to the GT, reducing its useful load capabilities.

I guess the GT buyers and their passengers will be joining Jenny Craig!

Keep a high visual horizon,
Bob
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 2006, 9:20 pm
Enthusiast

Thumbs down This is a big deal....

I predict that this will have a major impact on the touring market. The folks coming off the current RT, GT, or LT will have to think this one through if they are 2-up riders.

It may seem incidental at first, but this could mean a typical size male and female team would have to leave their luggage and camping gear at home.

Not good!

However if you are a single male with your typical load of tent cigar and single malt, then it will not be a problem at all. Do you think this is the market BMW is targeting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2006, 4:57 pm

[QUOTE=DPSCOTT]I notice that the new GT has an unladen weight with full tank of 622 pounds, which is almost the same as the RS. Surprisingly, the maximus permissible weigh is 997 pounds. Unless my subtraction skills are amiss that leaves only 370 pounds which can be placed on the new GT.

I picked up a model brochure at the Chicago Motorcycle Show last evening and the
gross vehicle weight is listed at over 1100lbs. for the K1200GT. By the way the bike looks
and feels fantastic in person, and I am glad that I have one on order. All the reps agree that late April , early May is the arrival date.

Phil
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2006, 5:35 pm
Enthusiast

Yup, I have a brochure in front of me, it shows the GVWR as 1146. The wet weight as 622. That leaves 524lbs for rider, passenger and gear. No need to lose any weight!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2006, 7:27 pm Thread Starter

[QUOTE=phil_p]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPSCOTT
I notice that the new GT has an unladen weight with full tank of 622 pounds, which is almost the same as the RS. Surprisingly, the maximus permissible weigh is 997 pounds. Unless my subtraction skills are amiss that leaves only 370 pounds which can be placed on the new GT.

I picked up a model brochure at the Chicago Motorcycle Show last evening and the
gross vehicle weight is listed at over 1100lbs. for the K1200GT. By the way the bike looks
and feels fantastic in person, and I am glad that I have one on order. All the reps agree that late April , early May is the arrival date.

Phil
Sounds like BMW needs to get their brochures and web site in synch. I hope the brochure is correct because the 370 pounds noted on the web site does not seem like good advertisement for a 2 up tourer.

Notice the K1200S has the same maximun permissible weight, 992 pounds.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2006, 8:40 pm
no power in the 'verse can stop me

The current Goldwing only has in the neighborhood of 390 lb. carrying capacity.

And, the typical Goldwing owner seems to be a bit more ummm, mature ( yeah, that's the word) than a GT rider.

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode