New K1200GT Appearance - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2006, 5:01 pm Thread Starter

Angry New K1200GT Appearance

First, I'd like to say that I've been an avid BMW rider for the last 15 years (currently riding a 03 K1200GT) and until the latest round of appearance changes, have always loved how BMW's models have evolved. My current K12 is the best BMW I've ever owned (elegant sporting lines, good two-up, superb handling).

With this as a stage setter, did BMW consider any customer input before designing the new K1200GT? Understand there are numerous improvements beneath the skin, but it's that skin (faring, bags) that I can't get by!!! Looks like a K1200LT and R1200RT mated or some sort of aftermarket faring...the bike has totally lost it great lines and sporting look. And it appears as if many other BMW riders agree, with comments to a survey on K-Bikes forum being overwhelmingly negative.

Bottom line...BMW, I love ya, but you've gone in the wrong direction with the new K1200GT...I won't even get into the R-Bikes. Lesson is that change isn't always for the better and I hope that BMW will get the message.

I hope you get the look of the next generation GT right and that my current GT lasts until then.

Any BMW riders out there that feel the same, let BMW know...they've opened a forum at:

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/board/list

GTr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2006, 5:44 pm

Retro

It looks alot like they went retro like so many of US car makers have done lately. The new GT resembles the first KRS with changes in newer style headlight and an actual windshield.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2006, 6:22 pm
Veteran

I like it. I think it looks fresh and modern. Many complained about the new K1200RS in 98 as compared to the K1100RS. More complained about the 02 redesign, and the GT. And their were many who complained about the look of the S. No matter what BMW designs some will complain... But in the end the bike will still be a home run for BMW. My dealer a pretty big one has his whole first allocation sold out. Maybe for those that don't like the look it will grow on you, maybe not. But what ever ones feelings on the looks there can be no denying that the new GT will be the star of it's market segment.. Wish it was a bit less $$ though :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2006, 6:46 pm
Veteran

Talking

If the new GT only had 70 hp, bet no one would be buying it for the looks. It's pure Bauhaus. The innards are what count.

For those who want to sit bolt-upright, this may be the perfect sport touring platform. I'd consider buying one if the handlebars could be lowered enough to get into a good crouch position. Does anyone make bar lowering kits?

Last edited by Larry; Feb 13th, 2006 at 6:55 pm.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2006, 7:27 pm
Veteran

lowering kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry
If the new GT only had 70 hp, bet no one would be buying it for the looks. It's pure Bauhaus. The innards are what count.

For those who want to sit bolt-upright, this may be the perfect sport touring platform. I'd consider buying one if the handlebars could be lowered enough to get into a good crouch position. Does anyone make bar lowering kits?
Yes, you can buy the S bike and take them off of it. Better yet, just get the S bike.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2006, 10:54 pm

I don't like the new GT near as much as my current RS/GT model (03). That said, at the bike show in Chicago this last weekend, I couldn't get to sit on the thing because there were too many people huddled around it. I noticed that the crowd around that bike was bigger than any of the other BMW models...at least while I was standing there. I also noticed that they were all older guys with their wives...not that that's a bad thing !! But they looked like RT/LT riders to me. Just how it struck me at the time. john

...enter something catchy here....
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2006, 11:01 am
Enthusiast

I hope BMW sells the heck out of the new GT. From the pictures I kinda like it but will reserve my opinion til I can get a test ride. The new BMW cars get ragged on in the BMWCCA mag all the time yet my local dealer sells every one they get. Old BMW buyers may not be doing the buying so it has to be people new to the brand. The point is as long as they sell regardless of who is doing the buying they can afford to stay in business and hopefully build something that does suit those that don't like the current stuff.

Pete
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2006, 9:58 pm

Buy the heck out of the new GT? You are kidding.

I bet the new GT will be fast and will handle great. It will have more storage than my "04 GT. The styling grows on you, change always takes time.

But the price will be the killer. $20,000+ for the bike will really limit the audience. Add to that a shrinking number of BMW dealers and you can figure out the rest.

Since we have lost any dealer within a hundred miles and since the price has gone up so much and since the resale value of BMW's is so poor I know I for one will not be in the market for the new GT.

I am at the point in my life where I can afford this bike. But, considering what I have seen over the past few years with the loss of dealers and such I just can't see this bike in my future. My '04 GT with low mileage is worth about half of what it cost new. I don't feel that anything that cost this much should have to be hauled several hours drive away for basic service or warranty work.

I have a '05 Suzuki DL650 Vstrom as my second bike. It cost less than the first year's depreciation on my K1200GT. Suzuki dealers are everywhere. I have maybe six or eight dealers within a 30-45 minute drive. The Suzuki is not a K1200 but then its not an orphan or a money pit either.

I would LOVE to have a new K-GT when it gets here. I know that this will be my dream bike. Problem is, BMW has made it very difficult for me to part with the consideral money it takes to make what has become a very poor investment.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2006, 11:40 pm
Enthusiast

hans471,you could buy a harley,there are thousands of used ones for sale for really big money.Maybe a really old one,they are even a better investment since there value is rising every year.

Enjoying The Ride. Eddie Layton
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2006, 3:26 pm

Cool Sick Selfish Person

Welllll, Here's what I hope for.

I hope the new GT sales are SOOooo slow and few that in the December of 2007 they have a $2,000.00 dealer incentive and BMW makes the first five payments, and offers 2% interest!! Now you watch how many they would sell then. I'll be all over that!

When I was maybe thinking about buying a GT in 2004, I did a little research here and at a few rallies, and what I kept hearing was, well the GT is nothing more than a RS in cheap disguise. Overpriced for what you get, and really not a very comfortable seating and hands position for touring. Also, I kept hearing how the GT was really too heavy to handle sport wise, and very poor handling at parking lot speeds. But Man It looked damn sexy! Except for the Gray/Green one (Sorry Guys) That's why there are still some for sale at dealers. Well, after hearing all that feedback I wanted to test ride it for myself, so I did.
Guess what? I Bought one! I loved all the things everyone took for granted, Great Style, Smooth like I've never felt in all my life. Fast! Oh, and all those negative things that everyone was talking about the GT, Well, BMW helped me except those limitations, with $2,500.00 off the price, 5 free payments, and a great Interest rate! I love my GT!

I would be willing to bet that most of you here that are not fond of the styling would buy the New GT after you test rode one. I test rode the New S. If you think the Older GT/RS is Fast, Your Gonna Crap if you ride one of these. But again, what really blew me away about the New S was how wonderful this bike handled! Man Oh Man! You are truly one with this motorcycle in just your first ride! Since the suspension is pretty darn close on the New GT to the New S and your only loosing a few horsepower, Gaining more storage, better seating position, I'm going to have to muster up all the will power I have and then some to stop from test riding the New GT! Why, I would probably buy one!

Now If those great BMW incentives would only kick in! Do you here this BMW NA?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode