Driving light recommendation - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2014, 11:09 pm Thread Starter

Driving light recommendation

Hey everyone...

I have some Jimmy Mounts and now I just need some lights to mount.

I have looked at the PIAA 530 series and the 1100 LED.

Two questions: has anyone mounted the 530 series on their bike and how did you like them. Should I buy the Fog or Driving light version?

Should I just install the 1100? They say they have the Touring light pattern.

I drive from Dallas to Austin often and usually it's at night. I want to be able to see deer and wildlife while on the country roads and I want people to see me.

I do not want to wire into the high beams or turn them on and off with on coming traffic.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2014, 11:06 am
Enthusiast

Marky-Mark, can't talk to the Jimmy Mounts or PIAAs but the new leader in motorcycle lighting - according to popularity on the K1600 Form - is Clearwater Lights.

http://clearwaterlights.com/

Their lights are blindingly bright, consume low power, and come with a rheostat which I guarantee you'll use at night. I installed the Darlas on my front forks and saw an immediate difference in how our benighted Texas drivers notice me. These lights are so bright, I can't look at them full on.

There is one member on the K1600 forum (Texanwest) who is known for his long distance travels, especially at night. He has the Darlas mounted to his front forks AND the mighty, mighty 6,000 lumen Ericas mounted to his mirrors. Talk about lighting the night a la the old Candlestick Park. In all my years riding I've never seen lighting like this.

http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-...ed-lights.html

Yes, they are pricey but as usual in life you get what you pay for. If your mind isn't set on the Jimmy Mounts and PIAAs, give these a try. You won't be disappointed.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2014, 2:27 pm Thread Starter

I knew I would get a reply for you Dave even if you have moved on to bigger things...K1600GT!!!

One of the Moto Officials actually has USA Cycling pricing on those...but they are still pricey for sure.

www.lazerstarlights.com is getting some good reviews also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 8:20 pm
Rookie

Thumbs up aux lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1200GTDallas
Hey everyone...

I have some Jimmy Mounts and now I just need some lights to mount.

I have looked at the PIAA 530 series and the 1100 LED.

Two questions: has anyone mounted the 530 series on their bike and how did you like them. Should I buy the Fog or Driving light version?

Should I just install the 1100? They say they have the Touring light pattern.

I drive from Dallas to Austin often and usually it's at night. I want to be able to see deer and wildlife while on the country roads and I want people to see me.

I do not want to wire into the high beams or turn them on and off with on coming traffic.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Mark
Mark check out the Denali 2 led lights from twisted thottle, I installed a set( first gen) on my 08 K1200GT and recently installed the next gen Denali 2's which have a dual mode bright and Nuclear powered!!! on low beam the bright function will give you more light down low and higher obsevability in the day time!!! on High beam the REALLY REALLY REALLY bright LED'S will light up the whole world, I can see road signs lit up over a mile down the rode which is about as far as you can see in the curves of WV, they only draw about 12 Watts each!!!
Woody

Knees in the Breeze!

07' MotoGuzzi Norge 1200
08' Harley Softail Custom FXSTC
08' BMW K1200GT/4
09' Harley RoadGlide FLTRI
2012 BMW R1200GS
2001 BMW R1100SA Lite
1975 BMW R90-S (Turbo)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 2014, 12:16 am
Rookie

Capt,
Where did you mount your Denali 2's?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode