Upclose and personal impressions - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 2006, 1:12 pm Thread Starter

Upclose and personal impressions

The GT was on display at the Chicago MC show yesterday (Adventure and R1200S also). It was the crystal grey metallic color but mostly defrocked - no ESA, no heated seats.

You feel overwhelmed by the large expanse of plastic fairing panels. They don't have much contour to them especially in the color on display. Your eyes just focus on these panels that look like car doors. The windscreen is quite short. The seat on display was in the low position and was in my opinion not very good at all. It is short (front to back) and you find your butt on the rear edge. I was at the show in the first 30min after it opened and the right side painted case cover was already heavily scuffed. (Some sort of protection will be a must on these lids)

The fit and finish looked first class. The bars were in the upmost position and the rider posture was very RT like. I suspect it would be closer to the old GT or RS when fully lowered. There is supposedly a new type of heated grip being used that has user settings but also adjusts the output based on ambient temp. The top case will be identical to the new RT but it was also not shown.

They didn't have a key available (that they admitted too) so we couldn't remove the seat or peer at the innards.

When moving back and forth between the RT and the GT I thought that the RT started feeling more like an LT. Very wide - more of a dashboard kind of feel. The GT feels narrow and sporty in comparison. The RT windscreen is at least 2" higher than the one on the GT.

The were taking info for test rides. Availability is May.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 2006, 2:55 pm
Enthusiast

I looked at it yesterday, also. My impression over all a better bike than my currant GT. Seating position better, but they did have the handle bars adjusted to the highest position.
I did feel that the seat itself was less comfortable than the stock seat on my GT.

Saddle bags are a huge plus. Can now open with a single push of a button, when unlocked. I think a lot of people have lost bags, due to the stupid 2 handle unlocking system of the old bags. Lid retaining strap now retracts, instead of getting hung up when closing the lid. The tail rack is flatter and bigger. Probably more useful.

Still turned off by the looks. Also, talked with corporate type for half hour about it. Signed up for a May ride.

They asked my wife what she thought of the color? She, told them "it looks like a refrigerator! "

Bike I liked the most: Aprilia Touno 1000R in the red and white checker paint job. Better seating position than the R1150R I had for a loaner last month. And only $13,000!

Bike I NEED: Ducati 999R Xerox race replica for only $33,000!

Wife liked the LT better than my GT. (That's, why I didn't let her try it. When I bought the GT). Can't see myself using it for every day use around town.

Being a nice guy. I offered to get rid of our GT and buy the LT. If, she let's me get the Ducati 999R replica for around town. Sounded reasonable to me!

Richie
04 K12GT
89K100RS (Gone, but not forgotten)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode