Powerlet Sockets and Battery Charging - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2014, 12:59 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Powerlet Sockets and Battery Charging

New to me '07 K12GT...

The previous owner added a second powerlet accessory socket on the left side of the machine. He believes but doesn't absolutely recall that he wired that direct to the battery to avoid the canbus. He further thinks he remembers that when he was in there he changed the original socket to a direct-to-battery connection as well.

Because his memory is less than stellar I am trying to figure out how things are wired. Can I safely check these sockets with a multimeter and draw any helpful conclusions? I am a bit electrical engineering challenged for sure so if there is a procedure could someone please spell it out in simple layman's terms including setting the multimeter up right before use? Volts and ohms check?

My understanding is that the Canbus puts the socket to sleep after a period of time, thus requiring a high dollar charger that I don't want to buy and issues with heated gear. I have a basic Battery Tender with powerlet adapter but apparently that won't work unless at least one of these is direct wired to the battery.

Thanks in advance for any help! :

BTW...is the original socket in the forward/front position on the side of these bikes? Was there a knock out spot next to it from the factory for an extra socket or did he have to do a custom job of installing another?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2014, 1:34 pm
Addict

BTW...is the original socket in the forward/front position on the side of these bikes?

YES

Was there a knock out spot next to it from the factory for an extra socket

Yes

or did he have to do a custom job of installing another?
No

A suggestion. Maybe you can remove the plastics (tank cover) and easily follow the wires that were added.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2014, 1:49 pm
IBR# 366

You can test those sockets with a multimeter.

Set the meter to read at least 12Vdc (most meters have a 20Vdc setting).

Leave the key off.

Put the red lead down the center of the socket and touch the center pin. Do not touch the side walls of the socket with the red lead.

Put the black lead at the edge of the socket and touch the outer wall.

Be careful not to touch the two leads together.

You should see around 12Vdc on the meter.

If you don't see any voltage, then remove the leads, turn the key on (shouldn't matter if the bike is running or not) and check again.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2014, 1:56 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

PERFECT! Thanks Ken.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode