2008 K1200GT windshield - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2014, 11:59 pm Thread Starter
Noob

2008 K1200GT windshield

Greetings all,
Making a solo trip from Ontario to British Columbia through the USA. Looking for a quiet windshield that fits the bikes style and design. I'm 6'1" tall, 220 lbs, 31 inch inseam. I ride 70-80 mph and experience wind noise on the top of my helmet with the helmet face shield open....worse when closed of course. I wear foam ear buds with speakers.

I will be swapping back to my BMW short for the local trips and summer weather

Does someone own the same bike with a tried and true quiet long haul touring windshield. have heard the quality horror stories already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2014, 2:58 am
IBR# 366

You have two good options, and several adequate options.

I like the AeroFlow stuff. Their screens are designed to produce smooth laminar flow, and they just flat work. Adding the AeroGards puts you in a smooth, quiet bubble that's all-day comfortable. They are a bit large, and a bit pricey when you add the side guards, but they do work very well, solo or two-up.

Another good option is the Cal-Sci screen. It's closer to the stock screen size and shape, but optimized for smooth airflow, so it works much better. It makes a great solo screen for those who want to stay a bit smaller and sportier.

There are a few other screens available for the GT, but in my experience (and yes, I've tried them all), the other options are better than stock, but not as good as Cal-Sci or AeroFlow.

From your description, I'd say the Cal-Sci is probably what you want. Contact them with your measurements and preferences, and they'll help you pick out the right size screen for your needs.

Just don't be surprised when it works so well that you don't feel like switching back to your old screen during the summer . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2014, 8:45 am

I purchased a Cee Bailey's tall screen and then added the Saeng edging to my screen. It is a definite improvement over the tall stock BMW screen. I couldn't use the Aeroflow because I have a Wunderlich GPS mount installed in my dashboard, but I do have a set of the Aeroguards that I use in the cold months.

My daughter and I did a 10 day 3000 mile tour between Albany, NY and Nashville, TN last July and it was a nice ride with the new to me Cee Bailey's screen & Saeng edging installation!

Enjoy!

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
Jeff Guntert - Schenectady, NY
2008 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2014, 9:56 am

+1 on CalSi....

You won't be dissapointed..

kbikeinbc
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2014, 10:23 am Thread Starter
Noob

2008 K1200GT windshield

Thanks all, for the replies. I will make a selection soon, and have a new screen installed and ready to go for the 6000 mile round trip in June. Now have to get my hands on a Go Pro set up for the memories. .
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2014, 11:56 am
Noob

Cee baily's I am 6'2" and it works very well!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2014, 2:36 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
Can I suggest a route if you have time to be leisurely.

I would head up to Tobermory take the ferry to Manitolin Island, then over to Sault Ste Maire and cross into Michigan. Head west on M28 (side trip up MI-123 to Tahquamenon Falls) until it junctions with US 2 at Wakefield, MI. than run US 2 west it does gets a bit boring west of North Dakota (couple of stretches to determine the maximum speed the cruise works), until about Browning Montana. Then the roads are fun. Lots of decisions at that point.

Stop in Duluth, MN at the Aerostich factory/shop.

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2014, 3:48 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Getting some route options too - Thanks

Leaving through Sarnia, past Chicago, DesMoines, up to Badlands, Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower, Grand Tetons, Idaho, La Grande Oregon Washington, Rockford State Park, Seattle, and on to BC.

Return trip thrrough the rockies, Kamloops, Lake Louise, Banff, Calgary then south of the border across the upper states to the Maitoulin Ferry. I live in Kincardine

Long trip with lots of sights. If anyone has some specific sights that I should take in along that route, please let me know. This will be my last long trip before my son and I begin to travel together
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2014, 5:02 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
as long as you will be going to the Grand Tetons, head north through Yellowstone NP.

South Side of the Columbia River Gorge from Hood River, Oregon to Portland Oregon(Columbia river gorge scenic highway) is awesome. Can be quite touristy.

South from Calgary to Waterton Lakes National Park Canada, and Glacier National Park USA are worth the side trip.

North Side of Lake Superior is a nice ride too.

Saskatchewan - is a bit picky about excess speed ($10,000 fine, seizure of vehicle and jail for 60KMs over limit) we slowed down

You could have enough choices to make it a 2 or 3 month trip

I hate the wait at customs coming into the back USA, 2 hours from the mid point of the bridge. Sometimes it's worth riding further south and taking one of the ferries across the river, they always find room for a bike and only 5 or 6 ahead of you at customs

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2014, 10:47 pm
Veteran

Sorry to be late responding, but I have the Aeroflow tall windscreen and I like it very much. The air bubble behind it is silent and still, while I am looking well over the top of the windscreen. I also bought the Aerogards, which deflect the airflow away from my hands and arms. I have ridden with the Aeroflow products up and down and across the country a few times.

I have not bothered to compare them with the CalSci windscreen, because I like the Aeroflow products so much.

Cons:
* In very hot and humid summer weather, you may find yourself wishing for a little more air flow.
* Due to the size, there is a small, but real drop in fuel economy - approximately 2 mpg or so.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode