Bleeding the brakes on a later 07 K12GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2014, 2:48 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Bleeding the brakes on a later 07 K12GT

I'm not having any luck in this forum when I try to use the search option, I'm in the process of doing a pretty extensive service on this 07 GT.
I want to change the coolant and I am replacing the ABS module. What I'm looking for is a pictorial on how to bleed the brakes properly.
I did find a thread on changing the coolant.
I also need to know where the "Hall of Wisdom" is hiding, I could never find it.
Sorry for wasting anybody's time and thanks in advance !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2014, 4:29 pm
Addict

For access to hall of Wisdom click Site FAQ on the Gray Bar above and then scroll down towards the bottom and you will see a link to Hall of Wisdom.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 7:21 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarelp
I'm not having any luck in this forum when I try to use the search option, I'm in the process of doing a pretty extensive service on this 07 GT.
I want to change the coolant and I am replacing the ABS module. What I'm looking for is a pictorial on how to bleed the brakes properly.
I did find a thread on changing the coolant.
I also need to know where the "Hall of Wisdom" is hiding, I could never find it.
Sorry for wasting anybody's time and thanks in advance !!
You more than likely have the non servo Teves unit in your bike.
Bleeding is therefore straight forward ( if you have the older servo unit then ignore this post has bleeding will be a pig )
Although a spare pair of hands is handy.
When you have reinstalled the abs unit and tightened the four brake hoses.
Place bike on centre stand.
Remove brake reservoir cover.
Using a self bleed kit ( one of those that has a non return valve on the end )go to the front brake calipers and doing one side at a time, connect the plastic tube to the brake bleed nipple and slacken off brake bleed nipple a quarter turn.
Slowly pull the hand brake in and out whilst slowly pouring new fluid into the brake reservoir.
When no more air bubbles are present in the tube ,and reservoir is at correct level tighten the brake bleed nipple whilst holding in the front brake lever, repeat for other side replace reservoir cap.
For the back the reservoir is located under the rear seat.
Same procedure, but this time that spare pair of hands will come in handy .
Pump the rear brake pedal slowly, when there are no more air bubbles in the tube hold brake pedal down and tighten bleed nipple.
Brake bleed completed.

Is your Abs module faulty ?

Last edited by Bigmc; Mar 3rd, 2014 at 7:39 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 8:51 am
Noob

brakes

I also have a 07 Gt and have bleed the brakes a few times . The previous responded basically walked you through the procedure, the only thing I would add is I always connect a small clear plastic line to the bleeded screw and put the end in a glass jar. I also make sure that the plastic line is higher than the bleeder screw and this makes sure no air gets back in the line . Takes about an hour. If you did work to the abs unit then there are veriuos screws in the line to bleed to at the master cylinder and so forth down the line to the caliper. Good luck
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2014, 7:00 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the info, I'm going to add some pictures with my next question.

This is what my ABS module look like.

My question is, what is this fitting for and does it have anything to do with bleeding the brakes? According to the parts fiche it is called a vent screw?? Do I need to be concerned about it? I do not have a maintenance manual or DVD to look it up so if anybody know what it is I would appreciate it very much.
Thank you.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2014, 11:31 am
Rookie

That's the Teves unit ( the newer type) you only need to disconnect those four hoses on the top.
There is also an electrical connector behind the abs unit that is held in place by large plastic tab you need to pull that up.
Is the unit kaput ?
Why I ask is that they can be easily fixed ,I did mine.
It's now two years since the repair and no further recurrences of the red light of death.

Last edited by Bigmc; Mar 5th, 2014 at 11:39 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode