Intermittant power to instrument panel - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2014, 10:59 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Intermittant power to instrument panel-Edited!

My 2008 K1200GT starts fine, but sometimes the display panel with all its warning and indicator lights that is located between the Speedo and Tach stays dark, no indicators. The bike starts and runs fine, but after a few minutes the warning lights all light up and flash, along with the warning red and yellow triangle light. This goes on for a while and then it seems to settle down after 1/2 hour or so.

While a loose connection to the display panel might do it, I'm not sure why it would stop misbehaving after a few miles, so I am leaning to some kind of low voltage situation that goes away once the bike has run for a while.....??

Battery is one year old. Bike sits with battery tender on it, gets very little use.

I guess I will have to do a good battery test, and then dig into the connections to the display panel...

**Update 1: Pulled the multi plug on the back of the instrument panel, it was tight and undamaged, dry. Put some dielectric grease on the connector pins and reassembled. No effect, problem still there.

***Update2: I'm thinking that the battery is the culprit. I charged up the battery and went riding. No problems for a few minutes, then flashing warning lights. Rode on for 20 minutes or so, and the lights settled down and no flashing.

I won't rule out a bad connection somewhere, like where the negative cable grounds to the bike, but my $$$ is on the battery as the bike sat on a charger for over a year.

**Really enjoying the conversation

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project

Last edited by lhendrick; Mar 26th, 2014 at 11:34 am. Reason: Clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2014, 5:12 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
Waiting for your results.

I watch the forum a lot so I can have a guess as to what my GT may decide to do next.

Still waiting for the fuel pump recall notice, I should have videoed the fuel running down the side of the motor. Fixed with a plastic epoxy and Beemer boneyard clamp and fittings kit. Thought about letting it catch fire and collecting the insurance, but there isn't a bike out there I like better. A couple of maybe's but they are missing so many of the things you only could get on a the GT.

Like most of us it's a love, hate relationship with the GT

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2014, 9:04 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj7840
Waiting for your results.

I watch the forum a lot so I can have a guess as to what my GT may decide to do next.

Still waiting for the fuel pump recall notice, I should have videoed the fuel running down the side of the motor. Fixed with a plastic epoxy and Beemer boneyard clamp and fittings kit. Thought about letting it catch fire and collecting the insurance, but there isn't a bike out there I like better. A couple of maybe's but they are missing so many of the things you only could get on a the GT.

Like most of us it's a love, hate relationship with the GT
Yep. Even with this inconvenience, I was riding the bike in Florida for the past few days and it is still a blast to wind it up and GO! With side bags and the GIVI 52L top case it makes a great grocery getter too.

back on topic: I need to find a place to do a proper load test on the Odyssey battery I installed last year.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2014, 2:19 pm
Addict

Its NOT the fuel pump is it? The recall we are waiting on. Its for the fuel cell connection area, correct?

I'm just hoping that it isn't 'another' problem (fuel pump) with this GT.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2014, 7:11 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
Sorry my bad, not fuel pump. just the threaded boss cracking on the mounting plate

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2014, 9:05 am Thread Starter
Addict

Just to follow up, the original problem I posted about was that the dashboard lights all flashed on and off when starting and riding off.

While doing the flashing light thing, the turn signals and brake lights (and pretty much all accessories tied to the Canbus would not work.

I have a one year old Odyssey battery that has been on a charger for a year, as I did not ride the bike at all last year.

I checked out the battery and after charging with the fancy $$$ BMW logo battery charger the battery showed a charge of 12.7-12.8V

I hooked up a Battery Tender charger compatible with the Odyssey battery and left it on all night.

This morning the battery is reading 13.3V and the dashboard h shows NO problems with flashing lights, etc.

So, it seems the expensive, complicated Canbus compatible charger is not working so great and I will use the cheaper Battery Tender to keep my bike ready to ride.

*** Update *** The problem is still there, took it out for a test ride, and the instrument panel is flashing like a christmas tree....My GS911 tester is out of town so I cannot see if and error codes are being thrown, maybe I'll finally give it to dealer to take a look, or trade it on a new R1200GSA Water Buffalo.

Last edited by lhendrick; Apr 21st, 2014 at 10:26 am.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2014, 8:40 am Thread Starter
Addict

Latest Theory:

Well I'm sure you are all waiting on the edge of your seats to see if I can solve this...

Today I noticed that the instrument cluster light flashing does NOT happen when the red "brake lining" double-circle warning indicator is lit.

HISTORY
Some of you may recall the issue with some K12's where a fault in the wiring for the (front) brake lining wear indicator indicates that your brakes are worn out even when there is plenty of meat left on the brakes. The cure for this is replacement of the wiring to the wear indicators, or a kludge where you take the wear indicators out of the circuit with some creative wiring.

Here's a link to the issue: http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9682

I never addressed this issue on my bike, so every once in a while the red warning light illuminates on my dash, and I ignore it.

So, it turns out that there may be a link between this old indicator lighting up and my flashing instrument problem.

I am going to perform the procedure to cure the brake wear indicator lighting and see if that works.

Don't hold your breath.....

Last edited by lhendrick; Apr 28th, 2014 at 9:13 am.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2014, 1:40 pm Thread Starter
Addict

It worked, I solved the problem of the crazy flashing instrument panel!

This morning I performed the brake lining wear indicator light fix of cutting the wear sensor wire and closing the circuit just below the plug to the front brakes. I soldered the two wires together and covered it all with shrink tube. At the brake pad I removed the useless wear sensor insert.

The wire from the plug to the brake pad had at least 8 wire ties clamping it down, with lots of crazy routing angles. I found at least two places where the wire had been damaged by the plastic wire tie wraps. Somebody needs to take the wire tying tool away from Hans the Destroyer on the assembly line. I know of at least one other situation caused by this clown (ignition switch wiring).

I replaced the plug and the wire fix and fired it up, rode off and after a minute or three of flashing warning lights and lots of brake applications by me the various computer mission control units/canbus/black magic/FM all settled down and now I have a nice running bike again.

Finally. You can all start breathing again.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2014, 12:58 pm Thread Starter
Addict

No Go. Flashing Instrument Cluster returned.

Went on ebay and bought a used instrument cluster, which did not solve the problem, so its not the cluster.

I guess I'm back to waiting for my GS911 to get back to me so I can troubleshoot scientifically.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2014, 9:32 am Thread Starter
Addict

Solution to Intermittant Flashing Instrument Cluster

Those of you waiting for a resolution to this problem can relax, it's solved!

2008 K1200GT

The problem was that the entire instrument module would frequently, as in once every few seconds, start flashing ALL warning lights, and while flashing, pretty much everything connected to the canbus would cease to function, leaving me with no turn signals, brake lights, ESA control, fuel and temperature levels, etc.

On some days, the instrument module would be totally dark at startup, and I would have no indicators at all.

Engine functions and head and tail lights were not affected at all, the bike ran great.I don't know if ABS was active.

Needless to say this was an issue for me in riding, and was also going to make it hard, or expensive, to sell this bike some day.

I recently started looking around the internet for wiring diagrams for the 2008 GT, but these are not easily found.

Looking at the parts diagrams and ads for BMW wiring harnesses ($$$$) lead me to start thinking about the complex of electronics modules and wiring on these bikes.

It appears that almost everything related to the bikes electronics goes through the ZFE or Central Vehicle Electronics (In German: Zentrale-Fahrzeug-Elektronik) module.

The ZFE is accessed by removing the right side tupperware, up front right in front of the air snorkel, and is a book sized silver component.

The wiring of this module consists of several huge and a few small cables running to components all over the bike.

One web site I found discussed an intermittent instrument electronics failure like mine that was resolved when a technician traced out some frayed wires in the bundle going from the instrument cluster to the ZFE!

I pulled the tupperware, loosened up the two screws and the press on rubber vibration isolating grommet on the ZFE, turned on the ignition. My instruments were totally dark at this point.

I jiggled (tech term) the ZFR, moving the cable bunch about. The instruments lit up!

I disconnected and inspected all connectors to the ZFE, pulled on the wires, adjusted the cable ties to relieve pinching, etc.

At some point the instruments stopped flashing and stayed on, so I reinstalled the ZFE and took the bike for a ride.

So far, no problems.

So, the good news is I now think I know WHERE the issue is, and feel confident that I can eventually trace the specific wire or connector that is failing. If the problem recurs I can start to open up the wiring harness at this specific area and troubleshoot, and eventually repair or replace as required.

Thanks for your attention.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode