Notchy drive shaft and final drove wheel bearing issue - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2014, 10:45 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Notchy drive shaft and final drove wheel bearing issue

I'm brand new to the forum and just got a 2006 K1200 GT 2 weeks ago with only 15K miles. I took it to a dealer to tune it up and they found that the side that engages the transmission on the drive shaft is loose and has notching in joints. Also the final drive crown wheel bearing has play.

The service tech said that this could be the reason why when I decelerate (engine brake) above 4000rpm, my bike vibrates.

I'm surprised that there are already issues with the bike with only 15K miles on it. The repair cost is expensive and I've read on some forums that if I get the wheel bearings replaced, that BMW North America will reimburse me for the cost. Is this true? If so, how do I go about doing it?

- MrBreeze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2014, 11:34 am
Enthusiast

BMWNA is probably not going to show you any love for a 8 year old bike, regardless of the mileage. Any (monetary) interaction with them comes through a dealer who is on your side...and sometimes that doesn't even work. IF that's the only problem the bike has had in 15k miles then you are ahead of the curve. It's almost as if these bikes are opposite with conventional thinking.... If buying a used one, find one with at least 30k on it .....by then the bugs have been worked out and you will have a nice sled.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2014, 5:37 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for your reply moymurfs. I guess I'm outta luck on this one…Wish I knew about getting a used bike with more miles for BMWs before, but oh well, live and learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 4:16 am
Noob

I bought a 2009 K13GT with less than 6500 miles. Because the bike had obviously been sitting I preventativly broke the shaft down for close inspection. Main bearings were notchy and were replaced. I included the cost of doing this when I budgeted for the bike since who knows if any moisture had gotten into the shaft to cause corrosion because I did not know where it was stored etc. It cost over 1000 dollars but now I feel comfortable it will not fail. Not riding a bike frequently (especially in humid climate) will certainly cause some of these issues with anything metal not fully protected.
How many miles per year is more important than either age or mileage in my mind. 30,000 miles in first two years and then sitting for 3 could be bad news depending on how it was stored and where.

2009 K13GT (new to me in 2013)
2011 R1200GSA yellow beast
2005 KLE500 (Hong Kong)
2012 S1000RR (sold for K13GT)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2014, 8:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreeze
I'm brand new to the forum and just got a 2006 K1200 GT 2 weeks ago with only 15K miles. I took it to a dealer to tune it up and they found that the side that engages the transmission on the drive shaft is loose and has notching in joints. Also the final drive crown wheel bearing has play.

The service tech said that this could be the reason why when I decelerate (engine brake) above 4000rpm, my bike vibrates.

I'm surprised that there are already issues with the bike with only 15K miles on it. The repair cost is expensive and I've read on some forums that if I get the wheel bearings replaced, that BMW North America will reimburse me for the cost. Is this true? If so, how do I go about doing it?

- MrBreeze
If your bike is in mint condition - as mine was/is - don't be shy about opening a Goodwill case with BMWNA. While this may not have worked for most of the folks on this site, it worked for me! I had to have the FD replace at 4k, so 15k is not abnormal, by any means.

BMW will ask you to take it to the dealer to have it diagnosed, which is usually an hour in labor expense. This is purely subjective and depends on how well your new bike looks and was taken care of. Chances are that if it was taken care of and in good condition then there may some wiggle room with BMW. It only takes a phone call and ask to have a case opened. What have you got to lose?!

1-800-531-1117 BMW NA Customer Service

Don't be put out because of others' bad experiences...

Good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode