The fuel recall..... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2014, 1:05 am Thread Starter
Addict

The fuel recall.....

You knwo the one where the connection may have a crack. They finally recalled them here in the US and now say they have the parts to fix. Well last winter I went in and did a few fixes and the Quick Disconnects was one of them.

So I called SanJose BMW and told them I already did the fix and wasn't sure it was worth them tearing my bike apart just to say tough tiiiiities. So I e-mailed them some pics I took of the fix. Their response. "it looks better than the factory fix".

So no recall work for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2014, 2:18 am

The recall does not replace the quick disconnects. In fact I supplied the dealer with the metal QD to make sure I would not have further problems. They would have put the plastic units back in with over 50K miles on them.

This recall is regarding the top plate of the fuel injection pump flange cracking. Mine cracked and leaked so I received a whole new fuel pump. Good thing the bike didn't catch fire. The fuel flowing out never hit the ground. It lands directly on the hot engine and 4 exhaust pipes.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2014, 8:53 am
Rookie

Fuel Recall

Got my recall notice, & made an appointment with the dealer for the 28th of this month, my question is - when the dealer does the inspection/repair would it be advisable to replace the QD's at that time with updated chrome plated brass QD's (Beemer Bone Yard) or does BMW have a replacement updated part that that is a better quality then the original plastic parts. Can I expect the dealer to install the QD's from another supplier without a hassel. Bike is a 07 K1200GT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2014, 11:13 am
IBR# 366

The weak plastic quick disconnects are the male side (on the hose), not the female side that screws into the fuel pump plate.

See this post in this thread for pics, and details on where to buy the metal QD.

I'd suggest buying the male metal QD and handing it to the dealer mechanic so they can put it on when they're in there, using the stock BMW clamps and crimping tool for a neat, factory-look job. I wouldn't mess with the female side at all, unless the dealer finds cracks and then just let them replace the entire fuel pump plate assembly.

Let them inspect the fuel pump plate and install the clamp or replace the plate as needed, and have them install the male QD, then just call it good and go for a nice, long ride . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2014, 4:43 am
Noob

Smile Recall

Can someone post an image of the recall. I got nothing. Thanks in advance.

Living one turn at a time.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2014, 6:51 am
Rookie

Smile Fuel Recall

The easiest way is to contact the service department of your dealership, you will need to supply them the VIN (vehicle identification number) of your bike, they will be able to check for any past or present recall information.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2014, 11:52 am

If you want to update your ownership information with BMW North America, give them a call. This way you will be notified of future campaigns. (the word recall does not translate from German to English )

Even though I am the second owner of my GT purchased through a BMW dealership with previous campaign problems, BMWNA did not have my information in their system.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2014, 11:07 am

That's exactly what I did, gave the male QD part to the dealer (from Beemer Boneyard) and they installed it when the replaced the fuel pump assembly. They wouldn't install the female QD since BMW's engineers don't recommend it. As the dealer mentions, it is the male barb that cracks, not the female QD....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
The weak plastic quick disconnects are the male side (on the hose), not the female side that screws into the fuel pump plate.

See this post in this thread for pics, and details on where to buy the metal QD.

I'd suggest buying the male metal QD and handing it to the dealer mechanic so they can put it on when they're in there, using the stock BMW clamps and crimping tool for a neat, factory-look job. I wouldn't mess with the female side at all, unless the dealer finds cracks and then just let them replace the entire fuel pump plate assembly.

Let them inspect the fuel pump plate and install the clamp or replace the plate as needed, and have them install the male QD, then just call it good and go for a nice, long ride . . .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode