So I got drunk and bought another GT... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2014, 10:54 pm Thread Starter

So I got drunk and bought another GT...

Yep, that's my story and I'm sticking to it... Got a little tipsy recently, went on eBay, found a '10GT w/5600 miles on it and the next thing I knew I was on a plane to Bellingham, WA to pick it up... Rode it from Anacortes, WA to Vegas (1300 miles, 2 days) and all I can say so far is, WOW! What a difference! The improvements and refinement (between the 1200 and 1300) are all so very subtle but, when combined they really do reveal an incredibly improved package.

Now, I'm sure many of you will be tempted to drone on about the 1600 and how much better it is than the 1300 and while I agree, I will tell you that I rode a friend's 1600GT a while back and liked it, mostly. What I didn't like was the plumb upright seating position. After about 20 miles, I became so uncomfortable that I traded him back to my '07. I then began thinking about dropping $28k on a new motorcycle. Then, farkling the shit out of it (2k?) and, well it wasn't long after that I started drinking again but, I digress...

While I've read all the posts about the differences between the 12s and 13s, I never really believed it would be as satisfying as it is. The fueling is just a hair shy of perfect, steering is lighter, turn-in is sharper, low and mid-range torque is much improved and no more clutch judder. I could go on and on but, for me these are all icing on the cake because the reality is that I spent less than half of what I would have for a new 1600 and all my farkles fit (except for the mirror hole mounts, new Rams are on the way)!

Pardon my rant on a topic that is I'm sure quite stale by now but, I just can't help shouting from the mountaintop!

Anyway, if y'all know of someone hunting for a great running and looking '07 that's been well cared for, serviced by BMW all its life and is up to date on all recalls/maintenance, I've got one that's no longer being ridden. Just do me a favor and don't tell them how much better the 1300 is

Cheers!

'15 KTM 1190 Adventure R
'14 K1300S 30th Anniversary

Last edited by BigBite; May 5th, 2014 at 2:05 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2014, 3:58 am
IBR# 366

I've always said that the K1300 is the bike that BMW should've come out with in the first place. So many small but significant improvements that add up to a much better overall package.

I put 28,000 miles on my '09 K13GT in 4 months, including 49 states and much of Canada and it was flawless. If I hadn't randomly thrown it at the ground, I'd probably still be riding it.

Now the K16 is pretty damn awesome, and I'm enjoying it very much. So much torque . . .

But a well-sorted K1300 is still 100 lbs lighter, and just as quick, especially solo down the twisty stuff. And it's miles ahead of the K12GT . . .

Enjoy it.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2014, 12:13 pm
Addict-oholic

Smile 1300GT is more awesome than the 1200GT

And precisely, that is why I switched from the 06 1200 GT to the 09 1300GT ! it is the combo of all the little differences as mentioned above. I took the 1600 out for a spin. it is incredibly smooth and comfortable, BUT it is 100 lbs heavier and I am 77 yrs. old. This old body just does not want to push a heavier bike around when parking or in the garage. I did drop it once, and I was able to get it up unassisted. What a real PIA
Love the bike!!

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2014, 10:21 pm Thread Starter

Thanks fellas!

I've got the saddlebags in the paint shop now because the previous owner had them re-sprayed due to boot scuffs? Who knows... Anyway, they were close but not quite right and they looked a bit more orange than red, especially in the sunlight. Other than that, the bike (so far) seems to be perfect.

So, I'm selling the '07 and including the Street Pilot 2720, Adaptive radar and 49 liter top-case. I've got a BMW IV Nav to slap on the '10 and now I need a V1. I just can't figure out what mount to use for the radar... I'd like to mount it on the right handlebar.

Any ideas

'15 KTM 1190 Adventure R

Last edited by BigBite; May 7th, 2014 at 11:32 am.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2014, 10:40 pm
IBR# 366

There are a few different bolt-on gadget mounts for the K13GT available, but I found that the upper clamps for the clutch and brake lever assembly have the same bolt spacing as the clamps of the GS parts. So I bought a couple of GS handlebar assy clamps which include a threaded boss (for the GS mirrors), and just used that new threaded hole for my mounts.

Another option is to get a RAM ball U-bolt mount and either attach it on top of those same handlebar clamps (toss the U-bolt and just use longer M5 screws), or just replace the GT clamps with the RAM ball mount (it's plenty strong enough). Then you can use any of the other RAM parts to make the mount you need.

BTW, are you (or anyone else) interested in a factory tank bag for the K12/13GT?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by Meese; May 6th, 2014 at 10:49 pm.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2014, 11:36 am Thread Starter

Thanks Ken, good ideas. I've got a relatively new BMW tankbag and sold my old one to a buddy here in Vegas. I'm leaving town tomorrow but I'll check around with the crew in a couple of weekends.

If anyone's interested in the '07, it's priced right and available here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161297847398...84.m1555.l2649

'15 KTM 1190 Adventure R
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2014, 8:06 pm
IBR# 366

Nice seat.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2014, 4:42 am Thread Starter

Darn right it is, Ken

'15 KTM 1190 Adventure R
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2014, 11:09 pm
Addict

awesome .glad to hear it ..sounds like a clean bike...i do miss the gt!! smooth and snappy 4cyl. though the GS keeps me happy and pops easier wheelies any pics?

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2014, 7:09 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes-ss
awesome .glad to hear it ..sounds like a clean bike...i do miss the gt!! smooth and snappy 4cyl. though the GS keeps me happy and pops easier wheelies any pics?
Mike,

I'm having the saddlebags repainted but will post some pics when they're done :-)

Cheers!

'15 KTM 1190 Adventure R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode