Small Top Box - Loosens While Riding - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2014, 9:07 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Small Top Box - Loosens While Riding

Sorry for asking this type of question, but I'm sure someone here has had this issue before. Yes, I tried the search function, but since it keeps me from using words that are "too common or short" like TOP and BOX, I am limited I suppose.

I have the smaller top box on my 07 K12GT. If I lock it in place, within about 20 miles (depending on how bumpy or rough the roads are), the locking arms in the back work their way loose and the back of the box becomes detatched from the base. It'll just bounce on there.....it hasn't ever fallen off the bike yet, but it certainly could.

I figured out that if I go under the box with it locked on the base, I can grab the two locking arms at the back (below the base) with my finger tips and pull them farther towards the back a bit, which appears to lock it more firmly in place. However, they still work their way back toward the front of the bike and eventually allow the box to bounce again.

I'm looking for the best way to resolve this issue. I love the box and the way it looks on the bike.....I just need it to stay there.

Any ideas that can be given are greatly appreciated in advance. Thanks!!!

2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Metallic
Bought it with 2,055 miles on the clock - June 2013
Rode 1,100+ miles to get it home
Current miles: 10,350+
Xenon, Remus Hexacone slip-on
BMW small top box (that now likes to fly away on it's own) with pad for the lady

Other Toys
1987 Buick Grand National
2007 Trailblazer SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2014, 10:50 pm
IBR# 366

I know the 49 Litre top case has rubber bumpers under there to keep a tight fit, and sometimes those bumpers can come loose or fall out, allowing the top case to wiggle about.

It looks like the smaller 28 Litre top case also has those, so I'd check there first.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by Meese; May 6th, 2014 at 11:21 pm.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2014, 9:10 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
I know the 49 Litre top case has rubber bumpers under there to keep a tight fit, and sometimes those bumpers can come loose or fall out, allowing the top case to wiggle about.

It looks like the smaller 28 Litre top case also has those, so I'd check there first.
Yep, the rubber bumpers are all there. Maybe I just need to add some thickness somehow to those rear ones so it is more difficult for them to move while it is locked.

I'll mess around with it some and see what I can do. I just thought maybe someone out there has experienced this condition and had a good repair for it.

Thanks Meese!

2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Metallic
BMW small top box (that now likes to fly away on it's own) with pad for the lady

Other Toys
2007 Trailblazer SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2014, 5:47 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Well, all I can say is that I must have some sort of ability to look into the future.

While on the 465 loop around Indy this morning on my way to work, I rode over a rough patch (overpass) and the top box ended up off the bike and in the emergency lane to the right. Thankfully, it did not end up in the traffic lane or there could have possibly been a major incident, given the traffic volume at the time.

It didn't open immediately upon impact with the asphalt, but it did after it contacted the guardrail and promptly sprayed all contents in a million directions.

YAY.

Funny thing, the box still shuts fine and still locks (loosely) on the base.

2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Metallic

Other Toys
2007 Trailblazer SS
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2014, 10:07 am
Veteran

This is going to sound very silly, so take it all with a grain of salt.

When I bought my K1200GT in 2007 with the 49 litre top box, the dealer rolled it out in the showroom with the top box already attached to the bike. Still, I wanted all of the materials, instructions, supplies, boxes, everything, etc. so they gave it to me. (we put the bulky items in the car for the trip home).

Riding home was an eventful story in itself. (See "First Ride" in BMWMOA, September 2009.)

After I got home, I began to go through all the materials. There was an instruction manual that came with the top box, and here are the parts listing for Topcase, large:

* Retrofit kit: Topcase, large; Installation instructions.

* Protective strips for the luggage carrier of the K 1200 GT; luggage carrier if applicable.

* Also required: Lock barrel with key - 1 set.

I noticed the "protective strips" and noticed that they were missing, so I went back to the dealer and asked for them. They told me that they never install them, that they throw them away. They couldn't even figure out WHY they apply to K1200GTs but not the corresponding K1200RTs with the exact same tail rack configuration. I told them that they must be in the manual for a reason, and I wanted my protective strips.

So I insisted. I didn't want my brand new K1200GT tail rack unprotected (from what? scratches in the black plastic?) but that manual said "Also required" so I asked the dealer to provide them.

I told them that they could get them from the next RT they sold, since the protective strips are not required for the RT. A few weeks later the dealer gave me a yellow paper with four odd shaped thin clear vinyl stickers on them. I don't even know if they were the "real" protective strips from a 49 litre top case. They didn't match up with the black plastic on the rack all that well, but I put them on anyway as best I could. Frankly, I couldn't tell the difference on or off, but I left them on because the manual said so.

They are still there. They feel like the clear vinyl stickers that you can buy to protect your cell phone screen. They are fairly thin, but there is a rubbery feel to them.

I have not had issues with the top case coming loose, and perhaps it is the protective strips adding a slight extra thickness on the black plastic along with the extra rubberiness that has made the difference. Most likely not, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

Buy a thick cellphone vinyl screen saver for a couple bucks, and cut it into four pieces that fold over the four shiny black plastic bumps on the top of your tail rack. Most likely it won't do anything, but it can't hurt either. Why would those infallible Teutonic engineers specify them if they did not think they were needed. :-)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2014, 7:10 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks Magna......it's anyone's guess but I'm not an engineer, so I don't have the brainpower to comment on your suggestions. I had tried a couple different things prior to the "event" but nothing seemed to work. I never tried anything on the black parts yet, but it makes sense to try.

I think I'm going to try to clean up the case...sand it down and then put a coating of PlastiDip black on it and see how it comes out. If it's presentable.....or worthy of being on this beautiful bike without making it look like I cobbled something together for the top box, I may try to reuse this thing. But if I do, I think I'll probably zip tie it to the base so it can't fly off while riding again. Crazy to think, but it won't go anywhere and I could just snip it back off with my clippers if I really needed to take the thing off on a trip.

Thanks for the response!

2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Metallic

Other Toys
2007 Trailblazer SS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode