2009 K13GT Hot-start problem and lack of support from BMW - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2014, 4:04 pm Thread Starter
Noob

2009 K13GT Hot-start problem and lack of support from BMW

Hi Everyone,

In 2012 I purchased an 09 K1300 GT with 4,750km on it...obviously hardly broken in for a BMW engine. I started having hot-start issues right away. I didn't know at the time that this was a common problem among the K12/13 bikes. I thought it was my battery issue, and I one day planned on replacing my battery. Even though after running some diagnostics on the battery, the battery and the charging system appeared fine...I was still thinking that a new battery will solve my issues.

This year I started doing a little more reading up on the hot-start problem on the K bikes, and realize that I am having one of these problems, and the solution is a heavier gauge wiring harness that BMW supplies....in something called a soft-recall. I guess if you have a good rapport with the dealership's service department, and you complain enough, they will reluctantly replace this under the warranty.

So I've emailed...back and forth, BMW Canada and explained my issue. They are crossing their arms and saying my bike is no longer under warranty etc... I've been amazed at how poor their customer support and service has been on such a major, across the board issue. I'm waiting to hear back from them as I replied to an email this morning.

I wanted to know if anyone in Ontario, specifically Toronto or the GTA has had to deal with BMW to repair this hot-start issue. I wanted to get some advice and direction on how to further proceed with this to get it resolved. Or maybe there is a simple fix that someone knows that I can do myself. I'm a handy enough guy to handle something mechanical if it's fairly straight forward....I just completed the 20,000km service on it myself without any hurdles.

Thank you guys in advance. Stay safe and enjoy!

Krystian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2014, 5:16 pm
Rookie

My 2009 13GT has the same problem, my local dealer was well aware of it. I have not yet left the bike with them but they seem more than willing to fix it. What might be the difference is mine is out of BMW warranty but I have a Western extended warranty and they do know that.

Have you dealt with your local dealer of just BMW Corporate?

Your local dealer should go to bat for you on this? Mine just went to bat with BMW last year on my wife's F800ST stalling, 1 year out of warranty and they were able have BMW cover the $900 fuel pump and labor on a stalling issue....so here's the plug, it's Cycle Specialties in Modesto, CA....great people!

To answer the DIY question, If at all possible you want them to take care of this even if you have the skill, from what I saw there appears to be a lot of unraveling of the factory harness needed under the tank area...

Hope that helps
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2014, 8:50 pm
Noob

Hot Start fix

The hot start problem is common with the K13GT bikes.
IF you replace the stock battery with an Odyssey PC680 battery, the problem disappears. In my opinion, it technically does not fix the problem, but since it will hot start nicely with this battery, I don't care.

Bob - 2010 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2014, 8:29 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanx BigKnot and johnberg.

I am envious I'm not in Cali for 2 reasons...the roads and scenery and the fact I don't have a willing dealership wanting to go to bat for me. I tried one and I have 1 left to try. Problem is, I don't take it in on a regular basis so I don't have a good rapport with any of them...but I am willing to try.

I have mostly dealt with BMW Canada on this, via email. It's kinda funny that the dealerships south of the border are more willing to help their customers than BMW dealerships here in the GTA.
This is sort of rubbing me the wrong way how they are handling it....I'll make a few more attempts to resolve this as civilly as possible and then social media might be my last resort...and at that point I'll just be voicing my opinions. As little as they're worth...but we all gotta give it an honest effort.

Thanks gents
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2014, 12:54 pm
Noob

Odyssey battery fixed mine, the bmw gell battery tested fine but would labor when hot starting. Swapped in the new odyssey and no more problems!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2014, 3:20 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks...I've begun pricing out Odyssey PC680MJ batteries. I'll probably just buy one and hopefully have the issue dealt with.
I've read on a different post that putting a 3/8" plywood underneath the battery solves the issue. Sounds weirdly simple, but what so I have to lose
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2014, 4:09 pm
IBR# 366

The hot start problem stems from an engine with very tight tolerances, a too-small starter cable wire gauge, and a barely-adequate gel battery.

You have several options:

1) Ride it as is, and get annoyed every so often.

2) Continue to push BMW for a solution, which they may or may not do under warranty.

3) Find the part number for the new battery cable and order and replace it yourself.

4) Investigate the newer LiPo batteries which are smaller and lighter in weight.

5) Just buy an Odyssey PC680 battery like the rest of us and never have this issue again.

On the PC680, the standard battery is fine; the Metal Jacket version isn't strictly required. I went with the MJ because the price was close and I wanted a bit of extra heat protection, and the battery sits right above the hot engine. Check around locally and online to get the best deal you can, including tax and shipping.

Then just go out for a nice, long ride . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2014, 11:00 pm
Addict

Just about any AGM battery is much better than the gel. And the 'fix' is just a heavier gauge cable... it would probably take about 1/100 the time to just install it yourself vs. fighting with BMW.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2014, 12:16 pm

I inspected the fix after having this issue. The dealership simply ran a second cable the whole way in parallel to the original positive run. No more problems.
But, I have to agree with others here, if the goal is less hassle, get an Odyssey. Or do what I was doing; walk away from the bike for a few minutes. It will start again when it cools.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2014, 1:53 pm
Noob

Hot start

I also have the hot start problem here in the uk same 2009 k1300gt contacted my local bmw dealer who said they know about it and will contact bmw for authorisation. Couple of days latter they contacted me to say all is well and they will do the work under warranty which includes upgraded loom and relay so booked in for the 30 of this month where they will check the fuel leak recall just to add the lady said the warranty for the hot start expires in December 14.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode