Luggage Rack on K1200gt Top Case? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2014, 5:51 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Luggage Rack on K1200gt Top Case?

Has anyone mounted a luggage rack on their 49lt top case or is this a no no?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2014, 6:05 pm
Addict

That huge 49L bag hanging way off the back and up high used to destabilize my K12GT in high side winds. Adding more height seems like a bad idea.

I'm sure someone here will have done it.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2014, 8:57 pm Thread Starter
Noob

The wind was blowing up to about 40mph gust the day we test rode K12GT & I was surprised it was not affected anymore than it was, but we were two up & we normally ride an R1100rt with top case w/rack & a bag with rain gear in it on the rack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2014, 10:35 pm
IBR# 366

It can be done, but you have to keep the load very light. Nothing more than rain gear, gloves, heated jackets, and the like. Even then, you risk cracking the top case lid due to bouncing on rougher roads. It's just not designed to take any direct load up there.

Rocketmoto offers a Luggage Rack Base Washer Kit that helps spread the load somewhat.

I used a Harley rack, which you can see in Post #11 of this thread.

Wunderlich also makes a Top Case Rack specifically for the BMW 49L trunk. But I'd still use the extra-wide washer kit.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2014, 7:19 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks
That is exactly the type of rack I was thinking about & my bag is about half the size of that one.
I take it the hand guards are just for wind protection. What's the story on that.
Thanks again
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2014, 12:34 pm
IBR# 366

That was a short overloaded leg of a much longer trip. The first several thousand miles was done solo, then I picked my wife up at an airport in Missouri, and needed to get her and her stuff down to the place we were staying in Arkansas. After that, we mailed a bunch of stuff home before our return trip.

And yes, the bike handled like crap for those few hundred miles . . .

The hand guards came from a GS. I ride year-round in all weather (18F to 123F) and wanted to remove the cold air blast from my hands. They worked pretty well, but the AeroFlow AeroGards do a much better job of wind management, taking most of the wind off your hands and your arms.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2014, 8:10 am Thread Starter
Noob

I understand.
Since you are using the Aero guards on your bike & ride all weather. Do you remove the lower half during the summer or just leave them in place.
Secondly are you also using the AeroFlow windshield & what is your opinion of both
I have an aeroflow on our R1100rt, but the Rt has absolutely no hand protection from the air, good thing in summer, bad thing in Winter & I have not found any wind guards for the RT.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2014, 12:01 pm
IBR# 366

I don't remove the AeroGards in the summer, but I have a friend who does on his bike. It's only one screw and velcro for the lower half, and two more screws for the upper.

I've ridden from a high of 112F in Vegas at noon, and then rode through Arizona and Utah, crossing Wyoming 600 miles later at 32F. That's an 80F temp swing in 12 hours, so I tend to set my bike up to cover all weather possibilities all the time.

Yes, I'm also using the AeroFlow screen, as I like large screens with maximum protection. You can always lower a large screen to get more airflow, but you can't make a small screen larger.

As for the RT, it's supposed to use the large mirror pods to add some hand protection, but that doesn't work as well as dedicated guards bolted directly to the handlebars. You might look at the hand guards off an R1100GS to see if they might bolt right up to your bike. Just be sure to check for clearance from the fairing on full-lock turns.

And yes, AeroFlow also makes a screen for the R1100RT, with wider coverage for better airflow management.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2014, 7:52 am Thread Starter
Noob

Yep,
I have the Aeroflow screen on my R1100rt thanks for the info.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2014, 4:35 pm

That top case is a lot tougher than it looks, In 2006 I took my son, 12 at the time for a 8000 mile ride to Florida via all kinds of places LOL. I had to strap (bungy net) a neilson riggs suitcase to the top of the top case, probably 15 or 25 pounds of stuff or more as well as all kinds of stuff hanging off the net. Not the best look for a GT but it worked for us. No issues no cracks.
I have carried 2 large truck batteries in thast top case with no issues.
Wish I still had my pics of that trip but computer failers suck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode