My horn has stopped working. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2014, 9:54 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

My horn has stopped working.

Everything else on the switch works, cruise, blinkers, windshield. I checked to make sure that the wire was plugged into horn, it is.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2014, 7:21 am
cws

Not same gen as your bike, but I had similar problem last week on 2005 K12GT.... horn worked the previous time I used it, but not when I really needed it!
Checked fuses, pulled panels and checked all the wiring... then I noticed the horn switch wasn't quite sitting right... the end you press had jumped slightly out of its position, enough so a normal press couldn't activate the horn.
Pressed hard on the end of the switch and popped it back into place.... horn fixed... phew.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2014, 9:55 am

Pull the panel and check your wires - chances are the horn is dead… Would be a nice time to upgrade to a Stebel horn - just sayin'

Jeff G.

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
Jeff Guntert - Schenectady, NY
2008 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2014, 10:55 am
Enthusiast

Check the switch first like CWS said. Cranking the bars around and hitting a tankbag could dislodge it. If it's good there simply put a meter on the connector at the horn and check for juice.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2014, 6:46 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks guys, a firm push on the horn button put it "back in place". All is now well in my world.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2014, 8:17 pm
Rookie

My horn doesn't work so well either.

It makes noise.....but not very effective when I rarely use it. Seriously thinking about a stebble horn.

I don't use my horn out of frustration. When I let her rip, it is to communicate a safety issue.

Is the stebble the most effective horn to put on my K1300GT?

Eric S.
2009 K1300GT - Red
1986 Harley Davidson FXRT - Sold
1982 Yamaha Seca 650 Turbo - Sold
1982 Yamaha XT 200 - Traded in
1980 Yamaha IT 125 - Traded in
1975 Honda XR 75 - Traded in
Honda Z50 - Traded in
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2014, 9:54 pm
Addict-oholic

Stebel is on my bike, and when I do use it (rarely), everyone knows it.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2014, 12:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS
My horn doesn't work so well either.

It makes noise.....but not very effective when I rarely use it. Seriously thinking about a stebble horn.

I don't use my horn out of frustration. When I let her rip, it is to communicate a safety issue.

Is the stebble the most effective horn to put on my K1300GT?

It will make the cager shit themselves Very pleased with the upgrade - when you need to "communicate" it does the job!

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
Jeff Guntert - Schenectady, NY
2008 K1200GT
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2014, 1:14 am
IBR# 366

I ran the Stebel Nautilus on my GT for many miles. It's a tight fit (I put mine under the right side fairing, as I had HID ballasts under the left side), but it worked well.

The upside is that it's loud. Dämn loud. No, even louder than that.

The downsides are that it's big, so fitting it up under the fairing panels is tight. It takes a lot of power, and requires a 30 amp dedicated circuit and relay. And there is a slight delay as the air pump spools up. But then, look out!

Some riders have instead gone with one (or even two) "conventional" style horns, just using a much better quality, and much louder, model. These fit in much easier, and can usually be run off the stock wiring without any mods.

The Hella Supertone and the Fiamm Freeway Blaster are popular choices, although there are many others.

Here is a review of aftermarket horns by WebBikeWorld. Ignore their bitching about the Stebel failures. I've never and any issues with the Nautilus, and neither have the vast majority of riders. The rest of the article has pretty good info.

Just another option to consider.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by Meese; Jun 19th, 2014 at 11:31 am.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2014, 10:57 am
Veteran

For those of us with 2006-2008 K1200GT models, you can buy a horn guard from Wunderlich.

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot...e/8500247.html

Here is a photo of it installed:
http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm5...nshot_offset=2

I bought one many years ago, after blasting my horn in a friend's condo neighborhood at 5:00 AM while making a U-turn in his driveway. It does its job perfectly. It is simple. It does not interfere with using the horn.

The drawbacks are:

* It uses the left handlebar's accessory mirror mount hole. I had a Techmount GPS mount there, so I moved it to the right handlebar mirror mount hole.

* K1300GTs and above do not come with the necessary mirror mount hole. Do not bother ordering one, it won't work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode