A little ride - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2014, 12:04 am Thread Starter
Addict

A little ride

So of we went for a ride. Wife and I two up on the Gt with my brother on a GS, friend on a Kaw Concours, daughter on a Duc 750 Monster and son-in-law on his Monster (bigger I think)..

Sanfran Bay area to Yosemite, North rim of Grand Canyon then back through Death Valley.

Only 1800 miles. Good weather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2014, 7:41 am
Rookie

Sounds awesome!!!

That's what I call quality family time

Eric S.
2009 K1300GT - Red
1986 Harley Davidson FXRT - Sold
1982 Yamaha Seca 650 Turbo - Sold
1982 Yamaha XT 200 - Traded in
1980 Yamaha IT 125 - Traded in
1975 Honda XR 75 - Traded in
Honda Z50 - Traded in
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 5:48 pm
Noob

Hi Kbmwrs

I am located in Mountain View, CA, also own a 2006 K1200GT, also has the bucking issues.

I was wondering if you would be interested to meet to share some experience on GT throttle issues. I am considering installing a booster plug or may be a PCIII. Any thoughts, comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2015, 3:24 pm
Addict-oholic

Did you have your airbox replaced? This was the solution to most of my problems on the same bike. plus the ECU should be remapped.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2015, 1:11 pm
Noob

Hi Larry

Thank you for your reply, appreciate it.

When I bought my K12GT couple months ago, noticed the rough idle and bucking issues, but didn't make a big deal of it, I thought it can be fixed easily. I took it to a local BMW dealer, they checked the VIN Number, and the only outstanding recall item was the fuel pump issue. They replaced the pump assembly. I asked them to upgrade the bike computer software as well. After $55 they (said they) upgraded it. But I noticed no difference. Folks at the dealer test drove the bike, but they said this is normal, they cannot do anything about it

After some research on the internet, decided to replace the airbox/idle device myself. Ordered the items from BMW, after almost $600, and several hours of fun work, airbox is replaced, did a test drive with high hopes, and again no difference what so ever.
Frustrated, moved on to the next item on the list, which is the O2 sensor connected to the exhaust pipe, replaced that as well, again no difference
Now I am split between selling it, or try replacing more items. I am thinking either the ignition coils broken/misfiring (but I doubt it) or may be try a new ECU or installing PCIII USB see if that cures the problem. What I am looking for at the end is steady idle, no bucking and smooth ride around town (although I have a touring bike, I don't use it for touring just drive around town). I like my 06 K12GT, I prefer to keep it if I can fix the darm idle/bucking issue. Hopefully something not too involved like the coils.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
Did you have your airbox replaced? This was the solution to most of my problems on the same bike. plus the ECU should be remapped.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2015, 1:46 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAGen
Now I am split between selling it, or try replacing more items. I am thinking either the ignition coils broken/misfiring (but I doubt it) or may be try a new ECU or installing PCIII USB see if that cures the problem. What I am looking for at the end is steady idle, no bucking and smooth ride around town (although I have a touring bike, I don't use it for touring just drive around town). I like my 06 K12GT, I prefer to keep it if I can fix the darm idle/bucking issue. Hopefully something not too involved like the coils.
I also doubt pretty seriously it's the coils.
The air box primarily addresses a hanging high idle after the bike gets hot. The old box could distort and, in conjunction with, the idle control valve can stick. This is a separate issue from the (super lean) fuel mapping that causes the bucking syndrome that is really unnerving in the twisties . I installed a PC and the bucking went away but still would get a hanging idle every so often. I just finished dropping in the updated box/iac . The bike is still apart and it's 30 degrees outside so I'm not in a hurry to button it all back up. But I won't really know if it cured the idle issue until I run it for a few hours at a summer temperature. I'm optimistic about it so I'm not worried.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode