throttle sticking open even with throttle rolled off - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2014, 2:05 am Thread Starter
Noob

throttle sticking open even with throttle rolled off

My battery died over the winter on the bike so fitted a new one been out on it this year and put cruise control on when to disable it by braking and it caried in surging I had to pull clutch in and revs were through the roof rolled throttle off hard against stop to get it to calm down.

Since then been in for fuel pump recall at bmw

Now away in zell am see from uk and its doing it again and also when stopped or slow riding nearly caused a few accidents on way down ive checked throttle cables are slack I have to force throttle off to try and get it to stop is there any faults or fixes anyone knows of for this bloody dangerous! Ive heard about an airbox fault than can cause throttle to stick but ive been away last year on it and done 4k miles with no probs now all of a sudden I have this issue its a k2007gt se with 57k miles on the clock now serviced 3k miles ago by myself air filter oils done any help welcomed as away on hols on it now 2up wuth full luggage and scared its gonna cause us an accident!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2014, 2:12 am Thread Starter
Noob

Another issue maybe?

Is when pussing it hard 2up with full lugage on autobahn's as soon as I go over 110mph water temp gets up to full bars no alarm though outside temp was 32deg Celsius is this just engine working hard with wind restiance? But when we are filtering in slow traffic its getting hot and red warning is coming on so having to stop and let it cool sounds like the fan is on but not sure if its a 2 stage fan or single speed? Coolant is ok checked level before we left uk had this issue on last trip in traffic with it getting waring for over temp
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2014, 3:47 am
Rookie

Two things here .
The throttle sticking open can be caused by the air box warping , this happened to a club member whoes k1300s was doing it.
It frightened him so much that he demanded a replacement bike and BMW obliged.

The overheating is either the rad is blocked ( crudded up/ corroded / damaged ) or the coolant has been changed on a service not using a vaccum system , and there is air in the tiny head channels .
Just my thoughts ?

Last edited by Bigmc; Jun 13th, 2014 at 7:33 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2014, 8:10 am
IBR# 366

Both very reasonable thoughts, based on previous experiences with these bikes.

See this thread for details on the air box warping.

And see this thread for details on the radiator issues.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode