Such a quandry - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 7:57 pm Thread Starter
Statmaster

Such a quandry

Okay, I'm officially bummed. Well, sort of. It looks like the GTs are still on schedule, but there is a downside to being first. According to a report I just got, the first set of GTs will NOT include the following "extras".

Tire Pressure Monitor - uses sensors to determine the current tire pressure and warn the rider with an indicator in the new dash. It's not a pressure display, but more a red light, yellow light, no light thing.

Brake Pad Wear Indicator - uses sensors to determine if the brake pads need replacing. No more waiting for that 12K service to see you are 2mm past the safe point.

Automatic Heated Grips - uses the on-board computer to determine the ambient temperature and adjust the heated grips automatically.

These items will not show up until after August 2006. It appears these features will also show up in the 2007 line of motorcycles. So the first wave of GTs won't have these features. Damn!

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 9:58 pm

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
Okay, I'm officially bummed. Well, sort of. It looks like the GTs are still on schedule, but there is a downside to being first. According to a report I just got, the first set of GTs will NOT include the following "extras".

Tire Pressure Monitor -
Brake Pad Wear Indicator -
Automatic Heated Grips -

These items will not show up until after August 2006. It appears these features will also show up in the 2007 line of motorcycles. So the first wave of GTs won't have these features. Damn!
RE #1: Do you really want or trust an idiot light for tire pressure? Take the $25 fix and buy the BMW digital tire gauge.

RE #2: Do you really want or need an idiot light for brake pad wear? Solved with a flashlight and a quick glance at the pads...

RE #3: I'm an adult and can run a switch or thermostat, thank you. Ambient-sensitive heated grips haven't been well spoken of on the GWings, biggest complaint I hear is that they don't get hot enough under normal use.

So, you're really not missing anything. Enjoy your new bike when it arrives, and laugh at the dumb SOBs who put off buying one just so they can have the latest doo-dads and gee-gaws. They're probably still running on Pentium 1 computers 'cuz they want to wait for the latest/greatest feature set.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:29 pm Thread Starter
Statmaster

You know, you're right. I'm not bummed anymore!

Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:37 pm

Quote:
Me neither, I've had my deposit in for months now, and I still can't decide on color. I hope they have one of the light colored ones at bike week, I think I'd prefer that if it's sort of silver, otherwise it'll be blue for me
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 1:42 am

Quote:
I have to confess that I remain a little bummed about it. I can't imagine the absence of these features will enhance the resale value on these new GTs. Likewise, lacking these gizmos won't affect the riding experience. It would just be nice to get the fully loaded motorcycle for which we're shelling out the big bucks.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 9:29 am
Veteran

Damn, I read GTRider's reply and he's right! Arghhhhhhh!!!!!

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 2:05 pm
Addict

Gadgets ....

I think I could skip a lot of gadgetry in exchange for a really good stock seat.....geez....I wonder if they will get it right this time....
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 3:15 pm Thread Starter
Statmaster

Is there such a think as a good stock seat? Since the OEMs have to make things to the lowest common denominator, I doubt this will be any better than before. I guess that's why guys like Rick Mayer are in business

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 3:29 pm
"DELIVERS"

What if....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRider
RE #1: Do you really want or trust an idiot light for tire pressure? Take the $25 fix and buy the BMW digital tire gauge.

RE #2: Do you really want or need an idiot light for brake pad wear? Solved with a flashlight and a quick glance at the pads...

RE #3: I'm an adult and can run a switch or thermostat, thank you. Ambient-sensitive heated grips haven't been well spoken of on the GWings, biggest complaint I hear is that they don't get hot enough under normal use.

So, you're really not missing anything. Enjoy your new bike when it arrives, and laugh at the dumb SOBs who put off buying one just so they can have the latest doo-dads and gee-gaws. They're probably still running on Pentium 1 computers 'cuz they want to wait for the latest/greatest feature set.
it was a new BMW (or any) car (substitute heated seats for grips)....would you take it, knowing that you paying for 3 features you're not getting?....I think not.

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:21 pm

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman
it was a new BMW (or any) car (substitute heated seats for grips)....would you take it, knowing that you paying for 3 features you're not getting?....I think not.
Oh yeah, I'd take it in a heartbeat. While the others are waiting and pining, ElJeffe will be out putting on miles and smiles. And when he sells this bike and moves on, it won't be a problem for the new buyer either as he'll be focusing on what a great machine he's getting at a depreciated price. And especially when of the three items mentioned only one has any real potential value--the UNPROVEN self-adjusting heated grips (note that the bike currently DOES come with heated grips, just the ho-hum good old standard ones). The other two items, as far as I'm concerned, are pretty much in the same category as the I-Drive--sounds great in the showroom but after trying to use it in the real world you want to put it where the Teutonic sun don't shine....

So yeah, I'd still take it. I guess it's like being at the high school dance where the solo girls lined up agains the gym wall aren't all "ten's" at first glance. Do ya wanna dance and have some fun, or do ya wanna go home alone???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode