Fuel Level indicator coverd for 12yrs unlimited Mileage - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2014, 9:49 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Fuel Level indicator coverd for 12yrs unlimited Mileage

Did everyone else get this letter from BMW about the fuel indicator? It doesn't note by VIN which bikes it is just that they will cover repair or re-imbursement.

is this the dreaded fuel strip?

It also states that BMW is committed to maintaining a level of motorcycle and service excellence that exceeds your expectations.

I'm guessing that there is a new boss over in Germany who is finally going to try and return BMW to the engineering we expect of Germany.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2014, 11:09 pm
Enthusiast

never heard of it...............

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2014, 1:03 am
Rookie

I received the letter yesterday also, I have 3 kbikes and no problem so far,nice to know it's covered. Between the jump guard,fuel pump and now the fuel strip that's better coverage than the last 4 years for obvious design/engineering issues than I seen in while, although my local dealer seems to dread it. It seems if I combo any other service with these it's at an inflated price and an inconvience..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2014, 11:15 am

The Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwrs
Did everyone else get this letter from BMW about the fuel indicator? It doesn't note by VIN which bikes it is just that they will cover repair or re-imbursement.

is this the dreaded fuel strip?

It also states that BMW is committed to maintaining a level of motorcycle and service excellence that exceeds your expectations.

I'm guessing that there is a new boss over in Germany who is finally going to try and return BMW to the engineering we expect of Germany.
Yup, that's the strip.Got the letter too. You're right, no VIN list or year range. Looks like they have declared all of them suspect. That is a very nice step forward by BMW. Thank you BMW!

On a related note, the strip on my '06 K1200GT went out last fall. Had the bike at the dealer this spring for the usual stuff (service, fuel pump recall) and asked them to replace the strip too. As luck would have it the strip recall was released to dealers while the bike was there, so I got it replaced for free.

06 K12GT DGM - Bavarian 'Bahn Burner
08 X6 Sapphire Black - The Batmobile
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2014, 2:47 pm
Rookie

I just got my letter in the mail this week. My letter references my VIN right on it.

However, I had my K12GT into the dealer last week for the fuel pump flange recall fix and they didn't mention anything about this fuel strip "campaign" or "recall" by BMW. My guess is that they will honor the fix if it fails.

Mine still works fine and I'm knocking on all the wood I can find right now, because it's a PIA to get my bike in the shop for anything related to a "recall" since I didn't buy my bike from my local dealer. They tend to favor those who actually spent their $$$ there over those that only want them to do work that doesn't net them any profit.

2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Metallic
Bought it with 2,055 miles on the clock - June 2013
Rode 1,100+ miles to get it home
Current miles: 10,350+
Xenon, Remus Hexacone slip-on
BMW small top box (that now likes to fly away on it's own) with pad for the lady

Other Toys
1987 Buick Grand National
2007 Trailblazer SS
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2014, 2:30 pm
Noob

My fuel strip seemed to be OK; the dealer replaced it anyway saying it was out of range. Now, after the fourth fill-up, it only displays empty. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

New to me '07 K1200GT
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2014, 3:34 pm
Enthusiast

I called MAX BMW Friday to start the process for reimbursement. They pulled up my invoice from last year and said they would start the process. BMW sends the $$$ to the fixing dealer (or purchasing dealer) they, then send us the money. From here on out, I guess if it craps out I'll just let the dealer do it...since the parts and labor are free.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2014, 3:36 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by C901
My fuel strip seemed to be OK; the dealer replaced it anyway saying it was out of range. Now, after the fourth fill-up, it only displays empty. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Did they dry the strip out and just recalibrate it or did the replace it ?

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2014, 12:53 pm
Noob

Fuel strip

I got my letter 3 weeks ago. I was told at my 30K service during the summer that my fuel gauge was not working. I told the service manager it was working when I rode in. He said: "well it's not working now" and replaced the fuel strip. It quit working 400 miles later. I am waiting until have time and a day to ride 125 miles to the dealer and back again to have it replaced.

It was interesting to note in the letter that BMW sent stated that one should not rely on the fuel gauge but use mileage for fuel consumption. Great solution from BMW. If they would tell me how to estimate fuel consumption when riding into a strong headwind out West, I could avoid running out of fuel!

Dick Wood
2008 Adventurin Silver K1200GT
Previous:
2002 Toscana Green K1200LTE
1995 HD FXDL
IBA # 7393

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2014, 12:32 am
Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewdoc
It was interesting to note in the letter that BMW sent stated that one should not rely on the fuel gauge but use mileage for fuel consumption. Great solution from BMW. If they would tell me how to estimate fuel consumption when riding into a strong headwind out West, I could avoid running out of fuel!
Being somewhat anal about resetting the odometer after every fill up I know I can expect to always fill up with less than 5 gallons of gas for 200 miles. Even if you only got 33.3 mpg it would only take 6 gals for the 200 miles.

Ran a stretch of 190 miles in less than 2 hours, the fill up required only 5.9 gallons, only slowed down because the fuel light had come on at the 170 mile mark, and the next town was about 15 miles away. Average speed 95+mph, 32.2 mpg (cruise only works to a bit over 100 on GT)

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode