Starter problem - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2014, 12:37 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Starter problem

Hi,

need help/advice. Been recently to France and (thankfully) on the way back my starter gave up. Firstly when pressing the start button it seemed to slowly turn over once and then nothing. Bump starting the bike was fine so wasn't too worry about it and parked the bike on hill where possible. Initially I thought it could be the battery. Have the bike from March this year and done over 5000 miles on it without a single sign of a problem. Before leaving UK I took it to local BMW dealer to check if everything was OK and also outstanding fuel pump recall was done... In LeMans I found a BMW garage where the guys took it straight away in and after an hour I've been told its the starter. The only difference was that the starter button didn't do anything at all now. Came home, ordered new battery, booster plug and new starter and today I decided to replace the starter and battery. All done but silly me I didn't check if it was working and put all bike back together. Turning the key all checks pass fine and pushing the starting button nothing..
Before I take it apart again would there be something they could disconnect that I haven't noticed? Any ideas appreciated..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2014, 1:23 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRom11
Hi,

need help/advice. Been recently to France and (thankfully) on the way back my starter gave up. Firstly when pressing the start button it seemed to slowly turn over once and then nothing. Bump starting the bike was fine so wasn't too worry about it and parked the bike on hill where possible. Initially I thought it could be the battery. Have the bike from March this year and done over 5000 miles on it without a single sign of a problem. Before leaving UK I took it to local BMW dealer to check if everything was OK and also outstanding fuel pump recall was done... In LeMans I found a BMW garage where the guys took it straight away in and after an hour I've been told its the starter. The only difference was that the starter button didn't do anything at all now. Came home, ordered new battery, booster plug and new starter and today I decided to replace the starter and battery. All done but silly me I didn't check if it was working and put all bike back together. Turning the key all checks pass fine and pushing the starting button nothing..
Before I take it apart again would there be something they could disconnect that I haven't noticed? Any ideas appreciated..
I would check the starter button and wiring and then the switches on the side stand and clutch lever that act as interlocks on the starter circuit.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2014, 5:58 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks, I'll have a look at those. I was hoping that they unplugged something in the garage to protect the engine or something along those lines, maybe a fuse or relay.. but not sure where to look for those.. Because its doing the same as when they returned the bike to me and I was able to bump start the bike, so if any of those switches would be faulty I wouldn't be able to, thats my thinking anyway, might be wrong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 8:47 am Thread Starter
Noob

Hi,

still stuck with bike not starting. Can't find it anywhere but is there something like a fuse box or the canbus systems do have/need one? Also where could I find the starter relay? Thanks
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 9:53 am
Addict

It sounds like the first diagnosis of a faulty starter may have been wrong as starter motors are usually reliable.

I don't have your bike model, but the usual culprit is electrics and control. You said the starter turned over slowly which would usually suggest a poor ground wire to the battery. On the older K's they used TWO thick ground wires to connect to the battery terminal and many replacing batteries left off the second frame ground wire or if your bike uses one ground wire from battery negative then that may have a bad connection where it is bolted to the frame - or it was left off! The older K's also had an interlock circuit linked to a side stand switch, clutch switch and gear switch to stop the bike starting in gear with clutch out. If the heavy gauge frame ground wire has been left off, it can bring another set of problems. The heavy gauge ground wire is usually fastened to one of the starter bolts, or a bolt close by on the clutch housing.

You should start by checking the frame ground location point, battery terminals and clean them. Then put a voltmeter between the starter motor +ve terminal and its casing to check for voltage present when the starter button is pressed. If yes, then something is up with the starter motor. If no, then you have to move back to the starter relay, then back to the starter button switch, wiring and interlock circuit. If you do not understand auto electrics you will find fault finding hard.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2014, 2:45 am Thread Starter
Noob

Hi, just an update, managed to narrow it down to the starter relay, replaced it and the bike starts again thanks for help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode