Price Value - 2006 LT vs 2007 GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2006, 4:11 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Price Value - 2006 LT vs 2007 GT

I currently own 2003 LT and was considering a move to the new GT. The extra HP really appeals to me. The fact that the bike is 200 lbs lighter is nice, but in reality, once I get moving on my LT I don't notice the weight at all.

When I compare the new GT to the current LT, after adding all of the options on the GT the price is almost the same as the 2006 LT. However the GT doesnít have an 8 speaker stereo system, CD player, Xeon lights, heated rear back rest, radio controls for the passenger, separate heating controls for the passenger. 3rd break light, vanity light/mirror in the trunk, reverse or an electric center stand or the new standard BMW communication system (I feel like I still missed something)

I know the HP difference is significant 152, vs 116, but the torque difference isnít that much. The LT has 86 lb/ft @ 5250 rpm vs the GT at 96 lb/ft @ 7750 rpm

When I weigh all of the features that I would be giving up just to get the extra HP, Iím not sure it makes sense.

I know some of you may read this and think that I am on the wrong board and that I am writing this on a PC in the rec-room at a nursing home and should be renewing my membership with the AARP instead of worrying about electric center stands.. Well thatís not me, I am 43 years old. I'm a very aggressive driver I have been riding since I was 13. I have logged thousands of miles on ZX11 where I hit a maximum speed of 176MPH. I bought the LT thinking it would slow me down.. It didnít work. I have chased down Ducatis on mountain roads listening to my stereo at 100mph singing outload when I passed the poor bastard.

I donít dislike the GT, I plan on taking a test ride, but it better be really good for me to give up all the features of an LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2006, 5:04 pm

It sounds like you aren't ready to give up the LT yet. Most of the great features that make it outstanding for 2-up rides are part of the character of a sporting Gt style bike. Take the passenger off and you may consider you have too much bike stuff for a sporting ride.

Many LT owners trade for GS's. Advantages: lightweight, lots of luggage space, great bike. Disadvantages: better for solo travel

The GT? Horsepower, lots of it. Music? Get an MP3 player and molded ear plugs. You'll have much better sound than blasting the speakers over the wind noise/traffic noise/earplugs. Probably not a good 2-up mount for larger people.

I don't buy cars based on the stereo or back seat comfort. I'm primarily concerned about how they make me feel when I drive them.

I'm sitting on the fence about the GT as well. 90% of my riding on the LT is solo but my wife enjoys the occasional weekend ride and one long summer trip. I will have to wait for a test ride to determine if it will be either an acceptable 2-up mount or maybe find a way to add it to the stable and keep the comfy LT.

Right now it is too early to tell but I anxiously await the GT's arrival.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2006, 5:14 pm
Statmaster

Vince,

I am headed toward the GT over the LT. I love my LT, but since I ride one-up, the LT just doesn't make sense for me anymore. All the features of the LT that I use are on the new GT, except the radio. And that doesn't matter much because I can still integrate Satellite Radio, GPS, iPod, and FRS radio through an Autocom. It just won't be "as integrated" as it is on the LT. For what I am looking for, the GT seems to offer exactly the features that interest me.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2006, 9:56 pm

Maybe its just me, but I don't see the GT as a replacement for the LT at all. Totally different mission statement. Even the BMW site has the GT and the ST as Sport Touring and the RT and LT as Touring for whatever that's worth.

I see the new GT as what it is...a touring version of the S, something to compete with FJR.

And although I'm sure current GT drivers will disagree, in my mind (styling not considered) the new GT is a better overall functional conversion of a sport oriented design to touring than the old one.

The old, heavy LT is really hard to beat for LD 2 up. So for me, the RT is out and the GT is in while the LT stays for when the wife wants to go.

IBA 18417
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2006, 10:46 pm

I'm sure that you'll find that the LT is superior to the new GT for two up interstate travel, although not by as much as you might expect.

I rode the new GT today, and it is an awesome motorcycle, but it's pretty hard edged. Great sport tourer chasis package, with fabulous wind and weather protection, but powered by an engine that is almost too much of a good thing.

BMW now has several good candidates for a sport tourer, in fact they may be in danger of causing market confusion. I predict that the new GT is going to be a hot seller, but each of us is going to have to ride one to decide for ourselves.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2006, 9:35 am Thread Starter
Just saying hey

I guess your right. I'm really not ready to give up the LT. It has totally spoiled me. I understand that you can run an IPOD or satelite radio into your helmet, but after screwing around with heated clothes, intercom systems, cell phones, GPS etc. I have enough cables to trip over.

I never had a stereo on a bike before and I have really come to appreciate it.

I guess what I'm really doing, is evaluating the new GT to project what the next LT might be like and the pricing scares me. If you take the new GT and add all of the extra stuff that I mentioned above that is on the LT (I forgot to mention the electic windshield), I get a little nervous about what the cost of the next generation "S" based LT will be.

I would have to imagine that it will come in stripped at around $21k but after adding all the options it will be closer to $25k. At that price, I might just have to keep my current LT and buy a Ninja 1400 or Haybusa as a second bike. However that strategy will hard to sell to my wife...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2006, 4:53 pm

Gentlemen,, these are re-occurring question that happen every couple of years...

It wasn't long ago we all sat around worried about the next generation LT because the current ones are around $14,000. and the next ones will probably top $15,500. This is no big deal, it has been going on forever.. You can't really expect the price to go down do you?? ............regards Pete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode