Considering 07 K12. Asking your advice. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2014, 5:29 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Considering 07 K12. Asking your advice.

I'm looking to buy a K 1200GT and finding the pickings slim in my area. One has come up that appears in good shape, is oil tight, and the body & paint are about 80%. DPO reports all maintenance is current and BMW done. Sounds good so far but here's the rub: 92k miles. The price reflects that to a certain extent.

I wrench on bikes and cars and am reasonably comfortable doing so. This would be my first Bimmer tho.

What do you experts think? Is this bike an expensive tease and likely dead in 5-20k miles?

Thx in advance for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2014, 9:12 pm
Enthusiast

At 92k miles he has probably worked out the usual bugs So you have that working for you. I don't think these bikes are ticking time-bombs, they definitely have growing pains but the motors are pretty sound as long as the cam chain/guides are in good order.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 4:15 pm
Noob

Here is my two cents, since I have owned two 07 K1200's. One was a Sport model (half fairing) which I bought with about 9K miles on it and let go with about 24K miles. It was basically stock but did have Remus silencer and a K&N air filter. I thought the clutch was too loud but the dealer said it really wasn't. We agreed to wait and see if it would go out and it never did. The Sport had no significant problems to speak of other than the fuel strip issues you may have read about on this forum.

My second 07 K1200 is a GT which I bought with 18K miles on it. It now has about 27K miles. The GT was pristine, bone stock and priced right. The ergonomics and weight felt just about right for me so I went ahead and bought it. Since then I've taken the time to sink a lot of effort and money to get it sorted out.

All problems were engine related only, there has been no other problems to speak of. The main problem was working out the clutch issues you can find documented elsewhere in this forum. You should find out if the "clutch upgrade" was done on the one you are considering. Mine did have that upgrade, but it did not include a new clutch pack. After putting a new clutch pack in it, no more issues with the clutch. There were some niggling little problems like uneven idling, sporadic stalling and delayed lag time in acceleration. I finally had it "re-flashed" to the latest software version. Ironically I should have done this re-flash the first week I owned it. This very simple dealer treatment improved all the annoyances and improved power across the board. Right now GT is running great and I am glad to have sunk the effort into it.

All that being said, I heard the following statement from my dealer enough times over the course of my efforts to get my GT sorted out that I will repeat it for you. "Oh yeah, that was a problem in these 1200's but they did fix it with the 1300's." I have no way of knowing how true that statement is, but I note BMW is still making the K1300 series engines.

A.J. Jensen
2007 K1200 GT
2007 K1200R Sport (sold - should have kept her)

Last edited by ajzgoldwing; Sep 2nd, 2014 at 4:18 pm. Reason: Clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 8:42 pm
Addict

1. Do you have the full maintenance history, not the routine stuff, but whether the FD or ABS module, or air-box, or clutch assembly ever needed and received replacement?

2. You say the price asked reflects (somewhat), the high mileage. I hope it does, as you will not get a lot selling one with 92K miles.

3. If the price does reflect the mileage, then all I would do is set aside an emergency fund (like your own internally funded extended warranty), to help pay for any BMW-priced repairs, like a gazillion dollar final drive or ABS module or the clutch assembly.

4. KBB used value range is approx $6,000 to $9,000.

5. Good luck. If it were me I would buy a K13 as they seem to have worked out some of the baddies by then.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2014, 7:02 pm
Noob

K12gt

With a wee bit of apprehension, I purchased my (new to me) '07GT w/ 40k miles back in Sep '12. It was just the bike I was looking for. This was a lemon-law buy-back from the manufacturer. I traded my fault-prone '94 ST1100 for this.To date, valve train was adjusted, brakes flushed, and new tires f & r. + the recall items. I DO like the bike; consider myself still novice material. Probably 4-6k miles / year.

90k+ miles would definitely concern me if the price was unreasonable. as mentioned, try to get a hold of the service records to help your decision.

If I were searching now for a KGT, I would be focusing on a K1300GT, just because of evolution.

G

New to me '07 K1200GT

Last edited by C901; Sep 3rd, 2014 at 7:05 pm. Reason: add
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2014, 7:30 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrick
If it were me I would buy a K13 as they seem to have worked out some of the baddies by then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C901
If I were searching now for a KGT, I would be focusing on a K1300GT, just because of evolution.
I agree.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode