Drive shaft erratic "clunking" noise - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2014, 9:12 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Drive shaft erratic "clunking" noise

I started feeling an odd sensation coming from the rear drive after shifting and re-engaging the throttle. If felt and sounded like the drive line was struggling, perhaps skipping a beat when power is reapplied.
I put the bike on the center stand, and let the bike run in 1st gear. There is clearly a clunking noise coming from under the rubber boot between the swing arm and the final drive.

I swung the drive out of the way this evening and water poured out of the swing arm area where the drive shaft engages the final drive. The drive shaft internal splines are clearly worn but nothing is broken. The final drive external splines are also worn a bit but nothing is broken. The final drive rotates freely without any sound.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2014, 9:56 pm
Enthusiast

Sounds like the U-Joint(s) on the drive shaft are shot. If you say the splines are worn also it sounds like its time for a new one ($1035) . As for the splines on the final drive... I don't think you can find just the small spline shaft. The BMW microfiche shows the final drives as an assembly (they always have regardless of model). If it were me and the FD splines weren't too bad I would just replace the drive shaft.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode