2009 K1300GT hesitation lower RPM's - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2014, 9:21 pm Thread Starter

2009 K1300GT hesitation lower RPM's

I know my handle says 1200, but I traded for a K1300GT with 6300 miles. :-)

Motor is stock...frequently when I twist the throttle hard...I get a significant hesitation followed by normal acceleration. It really almost coughs and sputters before it comes on the power. I notice it more on the lower end of the powerback...RPMs.

Is there something I should look at or is a BoosterPlug in my future for the 1300 like the 1200??

Is the TPS reset the same on the 1300 as 1200? Turn on Key...twist throttle 3 times...start bike?

I know this has been talked to death...just wondered if anything new related to the 1300 vs the 1200 I should know about.

Thanks!!!

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2014, 3:44 pm
Addict-oholic

I have the same bike. Shortly after purchasing it, I notice a hesitation at 3500 to 4500 rpm and sometimes stalling when dropping into 1st at a light or at slow speeds. The dealer cleaned the throttle bodies and put fuel cleaner in the system. They remapped the ECU system per the revised BMW specifications .They recommended and I use Techron fuel system cleaner every other tankful, and no hesitation at low speeds. Every two years, I have the dealer do a thorough cleaning.
Bike runs so much smoother.

Oh, I also had the "hot start" issue wiring installed by the dealer under warranty.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2014, 3:57 pm
Noob

K1200GT Stalling

The stalling is a known issue going back many years and reported in many different BMW models. This forum is one of several where it's discussed. The symptoms are too consistent for it to be low quality fuel or temperature, or whatever else reason the BMW dealers are giving to avoid admitting a design flaw, and it seems BMW is not inclined to address it. It may be that the stalling is very intermittent and random and is therefore difficult to diagnose. I have a 2008 K1200GT that I enjoy a great deal, except a fuel "strip" issue and the stalling. Because I like the bike so much, I've accepted the occassional stall and the bi-annual trip to the dealer to replace faulty fuel strips. (BMW a covers replacement of the fuel strip.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2014, 11:26 pm

Is the issue worse in rainy conditions, or cool and damp weather? I find a similar flat spot in my '10 K13GT when rolling on at highway speeds, such as for a pass. Much worse in wet weather, much improved if I replace the air filter at 6k intervals since the filter design on the K13 allows it to pack an unbelievable amount of road-killed bugs around the filter cone in a very short timeframe. The hesitation is at an irritation level, not a problem level, but like you, I suspect I'll be looking at a Booster Plug at a minimum or a remap of the system. In spite of this one small hiccup the bike is an awesome performer and a great ride.

Best,

GTRider
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2014, 3:59 pm
Noob

Hesitation

I have a 2008 K1200GT and was going nuts with the hesitation. I installed a Booster Plug a few weeks ago along with an Oberon Clutch Slave and it now runs like a completely different bike. I rode 180 miles yesterday on the Blue Ridge Parkway with a lot of traffic and the bike was smooth at low rpms and when shifting. I think the Booster Plug would be money well spent. I really love my GT now.

Erik
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 11:01 pm Thread Starter

Since I was too lazy to remove the tank...I installed the XiED unit which installs at the O2 sensor.

It sure cleaned up the bike especially at low rpm and pulling away from a stop.

Not sure how this unit works compared to the Booster Plug...but the XiED unit is adjustable.

It is like a different bike for sure...too bad I have a easily manipulated right wrist and as bad as my MPG was before the richer map...it is even worse now!!

I will say it goes to 90 mph much smoother and quicker now without hesitation. I liked it so much I installed a Remus CF slip on too!!

I really don't care there are cars who get better MPG then I do!!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2014, 9:13 am
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBerg
I have a 2008 K1200GT and was going nuts with the hesitation. I installed a Booster Plug a few weeks ago along with an Oberon Clutch Slave and it now runs like a completely different bike. I rode 180 miles yesterday on the Blue Ridge Parkway with a lot of traffic and the bike was smooth at low rpms and when shifting. I think the Booster Plug would be money well spent. I really love my GT now.

Erik
same experience on my 10 1300gt. booster plug works great

happy trails
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 6:29 pm
Rookie

I also went the AF-Xied route on my "08 K12GT, it made a huge improvement with the off-idle fueling issues. Easy and cheap fix.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 9:48 pm
Rookie

I own an 09 1300gt. It experienced the hesitation and occasional stalling. I researched several forums and other sources. I ended up with the Booster Plug. I did the install about 5000 miles ago. I have not had one stall, one close one, and the hesitation is all but gone. Only if my RPM'S are too low when grabbing a handful. Install was not difficult. More issues with taking all the plastic off and watching what screws went where. Fuel tank came off fine. Glad it was siphoned near empty. All in all, very happy with the results. MPG the same.

McWideglide
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2015, 3:03 pm
Noob

I still wouldn't trade my K1200GT for anything, but I do find it a little sad that we have to rely on after-market devices to get our $20,000 vehicles to run "normally".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode