Final Drive Failure 2009 K1300GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2014, 8:53 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Final Drive Failure 2009 K1300GT

I'm hoping to get some advice relative to a diagnosis of a final drive failure relating to the crown bearing failure and grooved axel.

I have had this 2009 K1300GT for about 2.5 years. I purchased it used with about 13,000 miles on it and have put about 10,000 miles since. I had the annual service performed at the dealer this spring which included final drive fluid change with no feedback from them regarding any concerns about the final drive.

The last few rides I had taken, I occasionally felt a brief odd vibration sort of like a patch of rough pavement. It wasn't repeatable and was very subtle so I didn't think it would be fruitful to have looked at.

This past weekend while at highway speed I again felt the vibration but a bit stronger. When I could stop and check on it, there was a lot of grease slung onto the disk brake and rim from the center hub. To avoid doing any further damage, I stopped riding it and took it in to the dealer to be checked out. Having done a bit of research, I was hoping it was just the main bearing and perhaps some seals ($500???).

The estimate from the dealer is for a complete final drive for a bit less than $2,000 plus an hour of labor to install.

So.....where do I go from here? I love the motorcycle and being 6'7" there aren't a lot of bikes that fit me.

I am thinking about calling BMW customer service to see if they will do something for a 5 year old bike that is in otherwise great condition that has only made it 2/3 of the way through the original 36,000 mile warrantee distance (but 2 years beyond the 3 year warrantee).

It seems prior years/designs of the final drive were notorious for failure but it seems to be better the the more recent bikes. Might it make sense to find a used final drive from a k1300gt or K1300s that was low milage and perhaps totaled due to front end damage? If used is viable, what price would be reasonable?

Eric S.
2009 K1300GT - Red
1986 Harley Davidson FXRT - Sold
1982 Yamaha Seca 650 Turbo - Sold
1982 Yamaha XT 200 - Traded in
1980 Yamaha IT 125 - Traded in
1975 Honda XR 75 - Traded in
Honda Z50 - Traded in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2014, 9:22 am
Addict

Rough news.

Here: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...drive&_sacat=0

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2014, 5:40 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

So I guess that is one vote for fix it using used parts.

I'm taking a shot at asking BMW to help me out with the repair cost despite being out of the warranty period. I spoke to them on the phone and they are going to get back to me in a few days. At least they didn't say no outright.....so there is hope.

So for the moment I am in a holding pattern.

Eric S.
2009 K1300GT - Red
Honda Z50 - Traded in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2014, 9:47 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS
So I guess that is one vote for fix it using used parts.

I'm taking a shot at asking BMW to help me out with the repair cost despite being out of the warranty period. I spoke to them on the phone and they are going to get back to me in a few days. At least they didn't say no outright.....so there is hope.

So for the moment I am in a holding pattern.
MaxBMW (CT store) was very good to me, as a repeat new bike customer, in presenting my case to BMW for replacement of an ABS module ($1,800 part plus labor) on my 2008 K1200GT that was out of warranty with low miles. We ended up splitting the cost. Better than nothing, and the alternative of getting it repaired by a third party didn't exist then.

As the BMW tech writer told me, if you use second hand you may always wonder if the part will fail.(Funny though, if you get new you KNOW it MAY fail

In this case I would put in the latest version second hand, low miles unit I could find and hope for the best and pocket the money I saved for later contingencies.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2014, 6:13 pm
IBR# 366

First, see what BMW may cover (if anything).

Second, look at picking up a used, low mileage drive and installing that.

I've had good luck with Rubber Side Up, and it looks like they have a FD that might work.

Be sure to verify which bike it came off of. The K12/13GT and the K12/13S have the same 2.82 gear ratio, while the K12/13R has a lower 2.91 gear ratio (although it should bolt up and fit just fine).

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 9:24 am Thread Starter
Rookie

I'm hoping that my patience and calm approach with BMW customer service will be rewarded with a positive outcome. I think I would be satisfied if BMW picks up 50% of the cost of the part. I would spend the $1,000 to have a FInal Drive with zero miles on it and some kind of warranty on the part itself.

The Drive that is currently On rubber side up/eBay has 37,000 miles on it. Hopefully it was maintained properly by the prior owner...but I just wouldn't know. Given the $1500 differential between new and used, I'd probably take the chance with the used.

Eric S.
2009 K1300GT - Red
Honda Z50 - Traded in
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2014, 4:56 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Well......BMW customer service called me today and is not willing to provide any assistance with my final drive repair citing that it is beyond the 3 year warranty period despite only having 24,000 miles vs. the 36000 mile distance warranty.

I am obviously disappointed but not entirely surprised. As a small business owner, I would feel more responsibility for material or workmanship issues with anything I created and sold to a customer. I generally don't do extended warranties preferring to keep the upfront money, in this case it looks like I get to cover it all myself.

The price of BMW parts seems to be a bit like the price of name brand prescription drugs...they set the price and you pretty much have to pay it. Checking the costs for the ABS or the ESA shock is also rather troubling....hope they don't go out too!!!

So I'm thinking real hard about going the used part route given the cost differential. I'm just worried that a used one may be near its end of life for a rather critical component. If it was a piece of the Tupperware or the seat or mirrors or something then I wouldn't hesitate to go with used parts in ok shape.

Eric S.
2009 K1300GT - Red
Honda Z50 - Traded in
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2014, 6:58 pm
Enthusiast

Call this guy first and run it by him. He's in Charlottesville VA.
http://www.largiader.com/shop/

He does excellent work and prices are good. If yours can be rebuilt he will get it right.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2014, 8:03 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks moymurfs. I called Anton and spoke to him today. He said that there is a chance at rebuilding it depending upon the extent of scoring damage to the axle. Doing the rebuild is still pretty expensive given the likely parts and labor involved. I think he said it would be in the neighborhood of $800-$1,200.

Anton was very friendly and seemed very knowledgeable. He also offered to help with a used final drive if I head that direction and could evaluate my damaged one if I wanted to rebuild it as a spare or to sell off. I will definitely keep him in mind for future needs or if I have any troubles when riding in the Charlottesville area.

I have a feeler out for a local final drive from someone selling off a k1300gt as a parts bike. He says the bike was well maintained but a clutch failure buggered the motor. It has 31,000 miles on it.

Eric S.
2009 K1300GT - Red
Honda Z50 - Traded in
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2014, 4:46 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

My search for a good used final drive over the last several days has not turned up a viable candidate. Beemer Boneyard didn't have one and wasn't comfortable going after an insurance auction bike that looked like a possibility. There seemed to be some in the UK that were recalled units for some failing paint/coatings.....not sure how BMW is letting them out to market.

So I'm sucking it up and getting the new part from BMW....at least I will have some form of parts warranty on it. The guy ordering the part said that the ordering system indicates there is just 1 available in the USA. So either these things are failing a lot and they can't keep them in stock or they are rock solid and there has been little need to replace them so they don't keep much in inventory. I'm hoping for the rock solid option.

Anyway...it will be a few days before the part arrives and I can get back to motorcycling bliss.

Thanks for the input and listening to my sorrows.

Eric S.
2009 K1300GT - Red
Honda Z50 - Traded in

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode