Airbox Fix for 2008 GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2014, 4:13 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Airbox Fix for 2008 GT

Now that I have my intermittent instrument electrical issues resolved, I got to actually ride the bike these past weeks and lo and behold I was running along in the lovely 80+ temperatures enjoying the sheer joy of 150+ hp when I came to a stop light and started to shift down and noticed my idle was at 2000 rpm. Moving off after the light, upshifting was miserable as the engine raced, making the gearbox even clunkier than usual.

At this point I recalled that when last ridden long enough to actually get hot this 2008 GT, built in late 2007, has the old crappy airbox and idle control device, which heats up, warps and jams, preventing the idle from falling freely.

Last week I ordered the new improved airbox, haviing tried unsuccessfully to "fettle" the idle control device with some sandpaper to no avail.

Received the new airbox today, and found out that I needed to also order the new improved idle control device, as it has been upgraded too to fit the new airbox. Parts guy didn't mention it and I wrongly assumed it would come with the airbox. Don't believe everything you read on the internet......

Ordered the idle control device and it will be here in a few days. So, $350 for the air box and $150 for the idle control valve.....

I look forward to running the bike long enough for the Final Drive to detonate

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project

Last edited by lhendrick; Nov 7th, 2014 at 5:05 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2014, 6:02 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Here's a few shots of what the new airbox and idle control device look like. Both are modified, the airbox with a new hole and the idle control device completely re-engineered with some metal and a gasket. The whole assembly looks much more robust and as you all have heard by now, if your old early generation (2005, 6, and 7) airbox is causing a fast idle when it gets hot (!) this will fix it. I hope. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow when I install.

Pics:

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2014, 12:55 pm Thread Starter
Addict

New Airbox installed with new idle control device. Works like a charm. No more high idle when hot. Nice smooth idle helps with low speed behavior.

A win

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2014, 9:03 pm
Enthusiast

Any side-by-side pics of the air boxes? Why did yours need it with it being an 08? I thought the issue was fixed by then.

Nevermind, I see you say it was a late 07 build.. did the part numbers change?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2014, 10:13 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moymurfs
Any side-by-side pics of the air boxes? Why did yours need it with it being an 08? I thought the issue was fixed by then.

Nevermind, I see you say it was a late 07 build.. did the part numbers change?
Yes the part number has changed several times until they got it right.

If I had taken action earlier this would have been a warranty fix.....airbox, idle control valve and software upgrade per BMW bulletin.

I don't have pics of the old box, the only significant visible change is the hole where the new idle control device inserts. It is wider, deeper and stronger looking. The idle control device is a lot heftier, I see metal in there, and it has a nice thick rubber o ring gasket. The entire airbox feels more substantial, maybe thicker plastic material. It came with new air horn/velocity stacks installed in the box with new rubber adapter mounts for to the throttle bodies.

Bike is idling beautifully at all temps now. Wish I did this years ago, just never enjoyed the bike once hot around town. Now fun.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 5:27 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrick
Last week I ordered the new improved airbox, having tried unsuccessfully to "fettle" the idle control device with some sandpaper to no avail.
I was wondering if you could share where you ordered the new improved airbox from and what was the cost. Appreciate it. Thank You.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 8:19 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAGen
I was wondering if you could share where you ordered the new improved airbox from and what was the cost. Appreciate it. Thank You.

Sure thing. MaxBMW: http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...8&rnd=04282014

I did show the prices for the parts on my original post up on top of this thread.

Airbox..................$358
Idle control valve $143

You need part number 1 on each of these diagram.

I also recommend getting 4 new screw type hose clamps for the air horn to throttle body junctions because the ones that came with my bike were very difficult to secure once removed. The new ones are shown on the airbox diagram

Good luck.

Last edited by lhendrick; Jan 22nd, 2015 at 8:24 pm.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 1:39 pm
Noob

Wow, awesome reply, many many thanks. I have a 2006 K1200GT with twitchy throttle issues which bothers me a lot. I am going to order these parts and try to do it myself :-)
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2015, 7:00 pm
Noob

After spending $560 and waiting two weeks, I finally received my new airbox and the idle control device Here are some side by side pictures.

Comments, suggestions, things to watch while putting things back together are greatly appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040018.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	17305   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040019.JPG
Views:	361
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	17313  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2015, 7:23 pm
Noob

Another side by side with all parts ordered...
I transfered two rubber mountings, the SLS valve, and the air temperature sensor from the old box to the new one.
Installed the new idle control device on the new airbox.
Next to the new airbox are 4 new hose clamps, air filter and a small hose clamp:
Johnmh likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode