k1300gt reliability issues - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2014, 10:07 am Thread Starter
Noob

k1300gt reliability issues

I'm thinking about buying a bike, after a long hiatus. Back in the halcyon days of my youth, riding a BMW was always an aspirational goal. I'm at a place where I can finally think about buying one--kids out of the house, finances mostly stabilized. Both my bros have been riding BMW R series bikes for decades now. In short, I've only been looking at BMWs.

I'm currently driving my car 35K/yr, mostly highway, of which I think I can siphon off around 10K for cycling (30 yrs ago I put 75K on a KZ550 over 10 yrs, so I have a clue as to what it takes to pack on this sort of miles). This is leading me towards BMWs sports-touring bikes.

So I'm looking at K1200GTs and K1300GTs.

However, I'm spooked:
o consumer reports gives BMWs the worst reliability by a long shot
o I read that there are significant reliability issues, such as FD, clutch and transmission
o when I look at EBay and Cycle-trader, the bikes for sale are mostly 20K-30K miles on them, I don't see many war-horses with 60K, 80K, 100K

I'm looking for a bike that is going to go 10K yr for the next 10 yrs, not something into which I'm going to be pouring $10K/yr for the next 10 yrs.

However, there could be sample bias going on--a plausible explanation for why there are so many bikes for sale w/25K miles on them is that people aren't putting 10K miles on a year, they're putting on 5K, and after 6 or 7 years people are looking for an upgrade. 20K-30Kmiles/yr riders are few and far between, but they're our there, just not selling their bikes.

A plausible explanation for why the forums are filled with people talking about reliability problems is that: that is what forums are for. The riders with 60K on their bikes that are working without any major mechanical problems just aren't making much noise.

So the question is: is a 2009/2010 K1300S going to go the distance, or is it going to be in the shop most of the time?

Sorry if this horse has been flogged before, if so just point me to the threads and I'll go and read'em!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2014, 10:26 am
Addict-oholic

reliability -GOOD

I had a 2006 1200GT, and then switched to the 2009 130GT because, it is ergonomically better and all the reliability issues on the 1200 were resolved.
I am sure there are some 1300's that have had FD issues, but very few and far between
when I first purchased this bike, I had the switches replaced under warranty and the software upgraded to cure some minor stalling issues when hot.
besides these beginning issues, I have nothing but pure bliss from this bike in 5 years. all, I do is put in a few oz. of Techron every other tankful of gas to keep the fuel system clean. Every other year, I have BMW dealer clean the fuel system thoroughly ( throttle bodies), so the acceleration remains as smooth as the day I took possession.
Like any thoroughbred, the bike needs some TLC.
on the web, you will always hear horror stories as this is the place to vent. most satisfied people do not post their pleasure.
For example, o won two Audi cars, different years and models. I have never posted anything on any Audi forum. I have no interest.
I do have an enthusiast interest in motorcycling, so I do participate on the forums for knowledge, belong to a club for participation in rides etc.
There is one guy on the forum here or in I-BMW that has rrode his 1300GT 100K miles.
Meese.

Enjoy buying this bike for all it's pleasures and reliability.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2014, 11:21 am
Enthusiast

Personally, for the GTs, I would look for one that HAS had the usual issues and they have been fixed but the bike still has relatively low mileage. There's no doubt these bikes had their growing pains. However, if you can find one where they have been addressed you are heading in the right direction..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2014, 5:46 pm
Rookie

I just sold a 2010 K1300GT with ~62k miles on it. It was dead nuts reliable. I read all the forums before buying and was scared as well. I took one ride on it and decided to buy it anyways. I sure did love that bike.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2014, 9:35 pm
Addict

Buy a 2010 all the bugs were resolved by late 09. My 09 has been great after replacing the switch gear and several software versions. Get the bike from dealer and purchase a warrantee.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2014, 11:41 pm
Addict

I've always said these are the best and worst bikes BMW ever made...but my '06Gt has 55k miles and is fine. Yes I have some throttle issues but I still ride it. All the other maladies on these bikes I have either attended to or improved.

Buy a GT and ride. I think you'll love it...and you'll leave your brother in your dust...even two up and loaded.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode