upgraded member, K1200gt - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2014, 11:48 pm Thread Starter
Noob

upgraded member, K1200gt

Hello all, Jim here. Very grateful for the wealth of knowledge presented here. I own three Kbikes 2007 K1200gt, 1985 K100rs, 1987K75s. Member of MOA, Chicago Area BMW Riders, and Northern Illinois BMW owners. Love to gather on Sundays at the Full Moon Restaurant in North Chicago with the brothers for a breakfast ride, love to explore on weekends. Love Midwest weather, yes I am crazy. Just letting you all know up front. You can find me sailing in all types of Lake Michigan conditions.

Prompted today to rejoin this group by my off season purchase of the 2007 K12gt. Dark Blue. Bought it from MCC in Villa Park, used 15,505 miles. Fairly clean with slight case scuff on port side from mild tip over. All recalls were done, verified by Vin Check. Front tire (metzlers) seemed to be cupping with half tread, rear tire just starting a flatlander cruising tendency. Other than that very clean, seeming good running. It had the heated seat connectors removed as the PO probably took his aftermarket seat with him. Traction Control, side wind deflectors, surprising but frightening Computer involvement. Looking forward to picking it up this week. Thanks again in advance for this community. Welcome any warnings or advice. Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2014, 10:18 am
Enthusiast

Any failures already fixed by the po?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2014, 11:00 pm Thread Starter
Noob

fixes by PO

When I ran the Vin Check they (BMW) had done all recalls in May 2014
timing belt guide and some other recalls, that I can't recall. This bike probably has no warrantee for me, so I will keep an eye on things as I get to know the bike. It seems there are many dissatisfied POs It ran well. and everything functioned well.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2014, 7:58 pm
Enthusiast

Well yea, these bikes bikes did create (and are still) some ticked off owners as does every bike. Hopefully, you will have little issue with yours. If you do, knowing how to turn a wrench can save you hundreds if not thousands

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2014, 8:02 pm

41,000 miles on gray '07 KGT and no big problems. I like it for long distance rides. Planning to go to my first MOA at Billings for the nxt long ride, my wife rides a bronze Moto Guzzi Norge. Look us up if you're there.
Ask questions, likely one of us has seen it before. Welcome to the club. let us know how you like it.

2016 R1200 GSA, 2007 K1200 GT, 1981 CBX, 1975 Norton, 1968 Moto Guzzi
The Banks Tour - Fair to Outer
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2014, 11:14 pm
Noob

Congratulations! I also just bought one (an 09 K1300GT) which hasn't even been delivered yet. How do I run a VIN check like you did?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2014, 7:21 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Vin check.

My mechanic called the dealer They just looked up the vin. Easy. Good luck with the k1300. I can do something me things myself. My mechanic takes care of what i deem myself un qualified for. I hope to go to BIllings next year. Thanks all
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2015, 10:39 pm Thread Starter
Noob

ride on Jan 1 pre salty roads. and Lock picking

Here is an update after having ridden my new bike until they salted last week. I had gotten a chance before the weather turned here in Chicago to try this girl out.

A few observations, many have already been searched on various forum:

A little low speed final brake throbbing as though a front rotor or pad set is lightly warped. Not that concerned about it. I may get some aftermarket rotors next time I need brakes.

A varying rattle (sounds like the clutch basket) when in neutral and clutch is released. Pull in clutch and it silences. Found on this forum that it is fairly normal.

2010 front Metzlers slightly cupped, rear starting a center flat spot. Also not unreasonable for the how the PO was probably enjoying the bike.

So I will probably go with either the Avon Storm GTs or the Mich Pilot Rd 4s when I finish these off.

I found a 29 liter Top Case in Dallas on CL. It came with a BMW liner and it was in nice shape. Black with back pad. The only funny part was the cylinder was in it. The Dallas owner didn't have the key, I thought to ask him when I started looking into rekeying for my key. Wow so many stories about keys and cases. I found a great YouTube when I googled "bmw topcase cylinder removal" There was a video on a fellow who picked the cylinder right out of the case in 30 seconds right before your eyes.

Other stories said dealers will charge too much to swap out cylinder.

I made a pick from a bosch jigsaw blade that matched the one I saw in the video. I also watched other videos of rekeying cylinders that I found on You Tube, to get an idea of how I was to imagine the wafer tumblers and what I was trying to achieve.

It took 15 minutes to copy the pick, and another 3 minutes to remove the lock.
I ordered a set of wafers and new cylinder from Max. $30 The new cylinder did not have a security pin in it like the original top case did. This security pin stabs thru the cylinder and all the wafers to prevent then from flying out when you pull the cylinder and can only be accessed by popping off the quad-crimped stainless escutcheon (face piece). Also on each side of the key slot, behind the escutcheon, there are two small black plastic and spring loaded gasket bars (Key cleaners). These slide along the key face, keep snow out and oil in, If you aren't very careful removing the stainless escutcheon, these pieces will fly. Keep this in mind. You will unlikely find the springs again.

removed escutcheon, key cleaners and springs, while laying the cylinder on it's side I retained the wafer tumblers with one hand while I pulled out the security pin. then Promptly inserted my old key. That keeps the wafers from sliding out and shows wafer tumbler errors. I swapped out old wafers and springs with new wafers and springs so they were flush with cylinder body when key was inserted. voila! security pin back in, key cleaner back in with the twatty little springs, escutcheon back on. Push the seventh (the one retainer wafer that can be picked as easy as you can your nose) wafer in, to allow insertion... Bam rekeyed my lock. I will do this work for $40 plus parts LOL.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2015, 6:21 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Winter half over. 3 ft drifts abound refurb update

Hello all. I ordered Galfer front rotors and pads. There was a stuck pad on the brembo which cooked one of them. Not that bad.
After mulling around with tires I settled on Pirelli Angel GT and Same but "A" spec on the back. I also found a Nav IV in good shape on CL. I bought a Nav V cradle from a guy off of bmwmoa site. I tried to put my Lifetime Maps from my other brick bike's Garmin 660 and FAIL. Garmin spends more time figuring out ways to sell life time maps to each device than it does on map software development. Only second to plugging advertisers into your maps. Gotta love Garmin. So with any will be ready when the spring gullywashers clear road salt. UJ
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2015, 2:23 am

Great story about picking the lock. Haven't had to do that but nice to know its not too hard.

I'm about to change out pads that I got from Pirate's Laire. After having already shorted
the brake pad wear wires to get rid of the yellow triangle. BTW, the GS911 code reader works
well with the GT. Worth owning, especially when on the road.

I've used the PR3's and liked them.

I'm used to Garmin's ways. Wife flys and get to buy the aero versions for the plane. I saw
an interesting article on webBikeWorld: "Using a Tablet as a GPS," interesting. I've used a
Garmin GPSMap 76csx for many years, works ok. But might be time to cut my ties to
garmin for nav.

2016 R1200 GSA, 2007 K1200 GT, 1981 CBX, 1975 Norton, 1968 Moto Guzzi
The Banks Tour - Fair to Outer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode