throttle in the twisties - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2014, 8:42 am Thread Starter
Noob

throttle in the twisties

I live in the mountains of north Georgia so I ride twisties a lot on my 2009 K1300GT. It is very annoying that on my bike when twisting the throttle to accelerate it seems that the fuel injectors do not open until after the throttle is twisted well past the point where the slack is taken up out of the cables. I also ride a GTL with ride-by-wire throttle so I am used to throttle response being immediate. Is there any way to make an adjustment on the K13GT where the fuel injectors open sooner when twisting the throttle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2014, 10:28 am
Enthusiast

Are you sure the throttle is adjusted correctly? You sound like you are describing a mechanical issue vs. a fuel mapping issue.
I had the lag/surging issue on my 1200 (the West Va twisties could be pretty unnerving when the bike wanted to launch me over a cliff ) but a Power Commander module took care of that. My engine responds immediately to the throttle.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2014, 7:17 pm
Enthusiast

when started riding fuel injected motorcycles in NC mountains, I started using a throttlemiester to keep a level of drag against the twist grip all the time. I find it makes for smoother riding, bike no longer is jerky due to irregularities in pavement. OBTW I ride a K12RS. I see you are a Blairsville rider, do you happen to ride with Colonel Hancock?

Mike Kelly

Triple M Engineering

K12RS

Stanley, NC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 6:26 pm
Rookie

My K1200GT "was" the same way due to its excessively lean fuel mapping, I hated it. I installed a Night Rider AF-Xied and it cured the issue. Easy and cheap fix, love my bike in the twisties once again.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2015, 8:16 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK
when started riding fuel injected motorcycles in NC mountains, I started using a throttlemiester to keep a level of drag against the twist grip all the time. I find it makes for smoother riding, bike no longer is jerky due to irregularities in pavement. OBTW I ride a K12RS. I see you are a Blairsville rider, do you happen to ride with Colonel Hancock?
No I don't know him. Does he live in Blairsville?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2015, 8:30 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
The GT has a notorious throttle lag, when accelerating from running steady throttle in the 2800 to 3200 RPM range,
The best fix is the Power Commander with autotune.
Before a Power Commander many of us installed "Power Freaks" and a new O2 sensor,
easy enough to use a generic O2 sensor and solder it in using the oem sensor plug

www.powerfrkusa.com

see post #3 in this thread
http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showth...ht=power+freak

There are other modules
NightRider AF-Xied and Booster Plug that many have had success with.

What we really need is a "closed circuit" not for highway use ECU
or get ride of the EPA in USA, the EPA has reached the point of who cares if it puts you out of business comply, or as a consumer you now have to pay $35,000 for a $10,000 for car, because it must comply with the EPA

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster

Last edited by aj7840; Jan 5th, 2015 at 8:42 pm.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2015, 9:54 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstrickland55
No I don't know him. Does he live in Blairsville?
yes, lives just north of town. BMW oilhead rider, and off road, dual sport rider. Great guy to know, retired Air Force pilot

Mike Kelly

Triple M Engineering

K12RS

Stanley, NC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode