Post-service ride write-up (long) - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 7:07 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Post-service ride write-up

Well, I joined the forum two years ago to research a planned purchase of an '08 K1200GT, and have mostly lurked since. After 10K miles of riding, I felt it was time to give a little back with some comments on my bike mods and vendor choices.
So after two weeks and a foot and a half of rain in the SF Bay area, we finally saw blue skies today, and it was time to go out and try a few mods done during the deluge.

Michelin Power Road 4 GT tires - I got 8K miles out of my Power 3s, and loved them. I feel the same way about the PR4 GTs. I've been riding big Sport-Tourers for twenty years, and like these tires the best yet. The profile gives a sporty yet stable feeling turn-in, no wandering on the grooved slab, and plenty of grip on the wet stuff. I was worried about the harder GT compound being an issue, but its perfect. I ride hard in the mountains on a regular basis, and that can chew up some tires on heavy sport-tourers. I also do the occasional long, multi-day highway tour that can square off soft tires, these seem to be a great, grippy, long-life combo.

Beemer Boneyard - I love getting my model-specific oil-change and tune-up kits in one pre-planned box delivered to my front door. Everything I need, great service, great price, with the click of a button...

NightRider AF-Xied - I loved the backroad and highway characteristics of the K-GT, but hated the around town fueling issues. The low-rpm and lower-gear lean fuel mapping led to a very snatchy off-idle throttle condition, also very annoying in the twisties. I installed the air-fuel mixture modulator and couldn't be happier, as it's so much easier to ride now. I'm using level 7 (4% richer) and the snatchy throttle is gone. Super easy to install, just remove the seats and seat cowl, plug and play, presto - new bike. To me it seems like a smarter, cleaner, cheaper mod than the air-temp modulators or the Power Commander.

Windshield swap - just switched from my summer shield, a Cee Bailey Sport in light smoke, to my winter shield, a Parabellum tall. I love them both. The CB Sport is 20.5" tall x 20.25" wide (measured across the inside at the widest point), lots of air flow for warm riding and looks great too. The Parabellum, 25.75" tall x 21.25" wide, might not be enough if you're a really cold weather rider, but it's good for me down to the freezing level. I've ridden behind the big V-Stream, but it makes the bike feel like a Gold Wing, in my opinion you might as well be behind a car windshield.

Throttle stop delete - why? Why not ;-) It just took two screws and two spacers after the tank was removed. "I don't use full throttle very often, but when I do..." The occasional second-gear WOT rip is now a frickin' blast!

And the Bill Myers Saddle upgrade I posted about two years ago is still providing fantastic comfort, support, and postioning for both spirited mounatin riding and long slab slogging.

Last edited by troyt; Dec 23rd, 2014 at 12:10 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 2014, 12:25 am
Addict

I also have done the 'improvements' you have noted...sans the new tires. Although I wouldn't mind a 1600Gt I love my ol'1200GT.

Have you checked on these upgrades?
http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showth...rcoal+canister

Last edited by kbmwrs; Dec 29th, 2014 at 12:36 am.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2014, 1:07 am
Noob

I'm a noob with a K13GT. Awesome feedback Troy. Do they make an AF-Xied for the K1300GT? I don't see one on their site.

Last edited by dn325ci; Dec 31st, 2014 at 1:15 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2014, 2:27 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dn325ci
I'm a noob with a K13GT. Awesome feedback Troy. Do they make an AF-Xied for the K1300GT? I don't see one on their site.
Same as K1200GT

Look Here for some info on that: http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=49117

Also, for sale here:
http://www.beemerboneyard.com/bmwafxiedf800.html

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 2015, 4:44 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Further comments on the Af-Xied upgrade.
Suprising how fast we get used to something better, and then want more... The second ride with the afm modulator went the same as the first, a noticed improvement in off-idle fuel mapping. But it still isn't perfect, like on a 2014 R1200RT I recently rode. So on a third ride I increased the fuel mixture further, to 5 clicks (about 6% richer). Again the off-idle roll-on improved further. But now the mid-throttle roll-ons start to feel a little softer, makes sense as the factory mid-throttle fuel mapping was pretty much perfect, so now its a little too rich. The mileage dropped a little at the level 7, seemed to drop a little further at level 5. I didn't keep detailed records, but I'm estimating a drop from 47 to 45, then down to 43mpg. I'll try a 6 next, then back to 7, it takes two seconds to make adjustments so why not try different settings.

Bottom line - a worthwhile upgrade for the money. But it shows me the only way to get the fuel mapping right on these bikes is a full custom map on a programmable ECU, like a Power Commander, followed by a couple hours on a dyno with someone who knows their way around the programming. Re-flashes, temp-modulators, afm-modulators, they only cover up the true culprit - imperfect ECU fuel mapping,.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2015, 11:10 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyt
Further comments on the Af-Xied upgrade.
Suprising how fast we get used to something better, and then want more... The second ride with the afm modulator went the same as the first, a noticed improvement in off-idle fuel mapping. But it still isn't perfect, like on a 2014 R1200RT I recently rode. So on a third ride I increased the fuel mixture further, to 5 clicks (about 6% richer). Again the off-idle roll-on improved further. But now the mid-throttle roll-ons start to feel a little softer, makes sense as the factory mid-throttle fuel mapping was pretty much perfect, so now its a little too rich. The mileage dropped a little at the level 7, seemed to drop a little further at level 5. I didn't keep detailed records, but I'm estimating a drop from 47 to 45, then down to 43mpg. I'll try a 6 next, then back to 7, it takes two seconds to make adjustments so why not try different settings.

Bottom line - a worthwhile upgrade for the money. But it shows me the only way to get the fuel mapping right on these bikes is a full custom map on a programmable ECU, like a Power Commander, followed by a couple hours on a dyno with someone who knows their way around the programming. Re-flashes, temp-modulators, afm-modulators, they only cover up the true culprit - imperfect ECU fuel mapping,.
Would the so-called Booster Plug with it's air sensor be different/improve the mapping?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2015, 11:14 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

I had my numbering wrong in my follow-up, but the idea was correct. Higher numbers are richer (I switched from 7 to 9), and now back to 8 which seems just right for now.

The Booster plug, like the Af-Xied, does not change the mapping just where you need it (at low throttle settings) but richens up the map everywhere. These solutions are Band-aids, however effective Band-aids. A true re-mapping takes a re-programmable ECU (ie. Power Commander) and the time/knowledge to use it. I have not tried the Booster Plug (lots of others have).
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2015, 4:46 pm
Enthusiast

Yea I agree on the programmable Power Commander. I have one with one of their maps installed and it's excellent. On my list of "to dos" is to get the bike to my nearest program shop to put it on their dyno and let them fine tune it correctly. I have not found anyone with an available custom map(s) to try out.

'

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode