Rear ABS sensitivity - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 7:59 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Rear ABS sensitivity

Does anyone feel their rear ABS kicks in too quickly? I don't use my rear brakes much, but when I do I've always felt the ABS kicks in too early. I'll rear trail brake into corners a little with most of the weight on the front and feel the rear brake pedal start it's ABS ocsillation, but just thought it was due to so little weight being on the rear.
But today I was playing with the ABS on some wet, slick roads, front and rear singularly and combined. The rear ABS is definitely kicking in too soon. Is there any way to adjust it without being an expert computer hacker?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 8:37 pm
Enthusiast

About the only thing you can do is flush and bleed the rear and check that the distance the ABS sensor is from the ring is in spec. I it persists it may be the sensor itself.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2015, 3:15 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyt
Does anyone feel their rear ABS kicks in too quickly? I don't use my rear brakes much, but when I do I've always felt the ABS kicks in too early. I'll rear trail brake into corners a little with most of the weight on the front and feel the rear brake pedal start it's ABS ocsillation, but just thought it was due to so little weight being on the rear.
But today I was playing with the ABS on some wet, slick roads, front and rear singularly and combined. The rear ABS is definitely kicking in too soon. Is there any way to adjust it without being an expert computer hacker?
oem rear pads are fibre rather than sintered (which the fronts are). Many aftermarket rear pads are sintered and can cause the fierceness you describe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2015, 2:19 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Good tip, thanks.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2015, 10:59 am
Veteran

There is a discussion about SBS vs. EBC third-party brake pads in this thread:

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=30899

I have used both. After reading that thread, I removed my EBC brake pads and replaced them with SBS brake pads. I prefer the SBS brake pads.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode