09-10 K1300 GT Differences? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2015, 9:13 pm Thread Starter
Noob

09-10 K1300 GT Differences?

Thinking of trading my 07 K1200GT for an 09 or 10 K1300 GT. Finally have my bike where I have complete confidence in it but it now has 75000K on it. It has been a great ride and did not seem to suffer the issues others had with theirs.

I am aware of most of the differences between the K1200s and the K1300s.

Is there any difference between the 09 or 10 K1300 GT bikes?

Last edited by Bullpen; Jan 18th, 2015 at 6:39 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2015, 3:25 pm
Addict-oholic

Yes, many differences, as I owned a 2006Gt and took a test ride when the 2009's first arrived..

Besides the engine which is much smoother in the acceleration dept., there was no Bucking Bronco Syndrome, as the airbox is totally different.

The ergonomics are much better. The front end has a better rake or feel, much easier to turn at very slow speeds. It is 60 lbs lighter which is a lot for an older person like me ( 78) to horse around in the garage.

There are many more small differences, but those are the main ones for me.. The only issues have been, when I first got the bike, under warranty, was to remap the throttle mix of air and fuel, as there was some stalling issues. The handlebar switches left and right were replaced due to lousy manufacture. I also had the "hot start" issue resolved by putting in a new harness to the starter under warranty, even though my issues were negligible.

I added a stebel horn ( taken from my 2006), along with the pulsating brake light and motolights. Other than that, the bike has given me no trouble. Two years ago, I rode it down to GA, TN, & VA on a 1500 ride, and it performed like a champ on the "Dragon" and other crazy twisty roads.

I expect the bike to give me many more years of pleasure.

BTW, I did a test ride on the 1600GT. Great smooth bike but a bit too heavy in the garage to move around. Besides, my strength at my age is not as good as in past years, and I don't want to drop it at a stop light or similar!!!

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2015, 3:44 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
Besides the engine which is much smoother in the acceleration dept., there was no Bucking Bronco Syndrome, as the airbox is totally different.

The ergonomics are much better. The front end has a better rake or feel, much easier to turn at very slow speeds. It is 60 lbs lighter which is a lot for an older person like me ( 78) to horse around in the garage.

There are many more small differences, but those are the main ones for me.. The only issues have been, when I first got the bike, under warranty, was to remap the throttle mix of air and fuel, as there was some stalling issues. The handlebar switches left and right were replaced due to lousy manufacture. I also had the "hot start" issue resolved by putting in a new harness to the starter under warranty, even though my issues were negligible.

I added a stebel horn ( taken from my 2006), along with the pulsating brake light and motolights. Other than that, the bike has given me no trouble. Two years ago, I rode it down to GA, TN, & VA on a 1500 ride, and it performed like a champ on the "Dragon" and other crazy twisty roads.

I expect the bike to give me many more years of pleasure.

BTW, I did a test ride on the 1600GT. Great smooth bike but a bit too heavy in the garage to move around. Besides, my strength at my age is not as good as in past years, and I don't want to drop it at a stop light or similar!!![/SIZE]
If I read correctly, I think the OP was looking for difference between the two years the K1300GT was sold in US: the 2009 model year and the 2010 MY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2015, 6:35 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the reply and the issues you did face on the K1300. I was wondering about the differences if any between the 09 and 10 model yrs.

I did read about the handle bar switch issues from others. As the bikes I am considering are off warranty now I will be sure to ask about such issues before purchase.

I too am getting up in years. Think this may be my last bike purchase unless it is to something smaller. Since we ride two up still I like the GT.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2015, 9:12 pm
IBR# 366

There are no major differences between the '09 and '10 K1300GT bikes.

The switches are part of a BMW Service Bulletin, and are covered under factory warranty even if your original warranty time and/or mileage has run out, and even if you are not the original purchaser.

Any BMW dealer should know this, and be able to take care of it for you.

There are some great deals out there on K1200GT bikes, but if it was my purchase, I'd definitely stick with the K13GT . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode