Valve Cover Screw - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2015, 10:54 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Valve Cover Screw

Greetings Gents,

I've got a dealer that is repairing a leaky valve gasket. The circumstances for the leek are odd because my bike has been in the care of the dealership for over 8 months. They called me last week and claimed the bike had a very large oil leak coming from the valve cover gasket. The repair they say will need 8 new valve cover screws part #11127674653.

The dealership claims that this screw ($15/screw) is a one time use only screw. All of the other dealerships that I have spoken to say this screw is reusable. I think they are trying to screw me.

Does anyone here have any evidence to back up the dealerships claim that this is a one time use only screw?

Thanks,
Clayton

Last edited by Hangtenclayton; Mar 9th, 2015 at 9:19 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2015, 12:26 pm
IBR# 366

That doesn't sound right to me . . .

The clutch cover screws are aluminum, and where those screws are called out in the BMW part fiche it clearly states: "Attention! Aluminum Screws May Only Be Used Once. For Additional Information, Refer To The Repair Manual!"

For the valve cover screws, there is no such warning. To me, that mean those screws are reusable, and in fact, I have reused those screws on every 18K valve check on my K12GT up to 138,000 miles . . .

Note that the valve cover gasket is replaceable, although I have been known to inspect those gaskets and reuse them if they looked good. I've never had a valve cover leak, but I do keep a new gasket on hand just in case it does need to be replaced during that service.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by Meese; Mar 10th, 2015 at 12:38 pm.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2015, 1:13 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

@Meese

Thank you for the reply. I can't help but feel something fishy is going on here. I instructed the dealership to reuse the screws unless there was any obvious damage to them. They stated the repair manual calls for replacement but I call bullshit per your attached image. Per their email to me it looks like my cam cover is warped.

" Note, we did discover that the cam cover is warped,
0.10 thousands on the corner that is leaking. "

Damn!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2015, 2:43 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

And the plot thickens...

They are now telling me that after the repair, there is excessive oil pressure. They have reached out to BMW and requested a brand new engine on warranty. Whoa, wait a minute here. We went from excessive oil pressure to brand new engine?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2015, 10:21 am
Enthusiast

Are they trying to get you a brand new engine covered under an existing warranty ? Or are the saying you need a new engine and IT would come with a warranty?
If they want to replace the motor and it won't cost you anything then that's a no-brainer .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2015, 1:22 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moymurfs
Are they trying to get you a brand new engine covered under an existing warranty ? Or are the saying you need a new engine and IT would come with a warranty?
If they want to replace the motor and it won't cost you anything then that's a no-brainer .
Haha ya they are requesting a new engine on the house. I really hope that it works out haha! I was going to sell the bike but with a new engine, might as well keep it.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2015, 11:26 am Thread Starter
Rookie

No news yet unfortunately.

I've been thinking a lot and once I get this engine thing sorted out, I will probably sell the bike. I'm starting a business right now and I want to be completely focused on it.

I dropped my bike off at the dealer in San Antonio back in late May of 2014 and haven't ridden it since. I've never heard of a dealer keeping a bike for almost a year. It has really been a test of my patience.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2015, 11:25 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangtenclayton
No news yet unfortunately.

I've been thinking a lot and once I get this engine thing sorted out, I will probably sell the bike. I'm starting a business right now and I want to be completely focused on it.

I dropped my bike off at the dealer in San Antonio back in late May of 2014 and haven't ridden it since. I've never heard of a dealer keeping a bike for almost a year. It has really been a test of my patience.
Well, Hangten, there are laws about how long a dealer can hold onto your bike without fixing it. There is some pressure on them to get it fixed in a reasonable time......You might have to talk to BMW NA about that.

I do find it amazing that a screw has escalated to an engine replacement. Before this is all done you may find you get a replacement bike!! For a screw!! What a screw up!

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2015, 11:38 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrick
Well, Hangten, there are laws about how long a dealer can hold onto your bike without fixing it. There is some pressure on them to get it fixed in a reasonable time......You might have to talk to BMW NA about that.

I do find it amazing that a screw has escalated to an engine replacement. Before this is all done you may find you get a replacement bike!! For a screw!! What a screw up!
Ya it definitely has been a screw up. I spoke to the dealer late last week and now their story has changed. They informed me that they didn't say engine replacement but rather an "engine repair." They are trying to get BWM to cover all the labor and parts as goodwill.

Calls to BMW of America have been fruitless. Their answer has been "sorry but we give our name to dealerships but we have not control over them. You have to work it out with them." Because of that reason, this will be my last BWM anything.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2015, 9:52 am
Noob

I would run, not walk away from this dealer.

Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous.
It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence or stupidity.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode