Removing Front Fairing - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2015, 3:04 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Removing Front Fairing

Bought a 2008 GT last week and will have both fairings as well as the front fairing painted to remedy a drop each side by the PO. Side fairings are a piece of cake to remove, but wanted any pointers WRT removing the front one. Haven't looked at it yet.

Thanks in advance

Todd
08 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2015, 9:56 am
Enthusiast

You mean around the headlight?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2015, 10:21 am Thread Starter
Noob

Yes. The front bodywork around the headlight, turn signals

Thx
Todd
2008 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2015, 10:30 am
Addict

Pull the windshield, and the metal cross brace that rests underneath it.

Remove screws on the plastic triangular cover panel that was under the windshield and take off that panel

Take off the plastic cover around the instrument panel (two long brass screws on top, watch out for two plastic tabs on bottom, press them up with a screwdriver GENTLY to free the instrument cover panel.

Remove the screws that secure the 2 larger panels to the right and left of the instrument cluster (+2 screws each side into the front fairing). Careful of the plastic tabs that secure these panels at the top of the cowling into slots.

Remove the little cooling air grill piece under the headlight (2 screws from underneath).

On the front fairing itself, remove 6 screws: two on top, two on sides, two on bottom of front fairing. Slide the fairing off carefully to the front. The huge headlight assembly stays on.

Go slow, don't break $$$$ plastic stuff

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project

Last edited by lhendrick; Mar 11th, 2015 at 3:03 pm.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2015, 10:34 am
Enthusiast

As I recall there are at least 4 screws under the black windshield plate that need to go but they are easily seen from the front (once the plate is gone). I think the trickiest ones are kind of hidden and attach to the back of the black dash panel. If you have to pull hard then STOP and find the ones you missed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2015, 6:22 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks. That just the info I was hoping for here. On the sched for tomorrow.

Todd
08 K1200GT
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2015, 9:56 am

Hey guys - do the mirrors have to come off? I vaguely recall having to rotate the stalks (spring loaded with detent) to expose screws.

Tip - there are several different screw lengths used. Take a photo or make a sketch to indicate what came from where.

Good luck,
Jeff

06 K12GT DGM - Bavarian 'Bahn Burner
08 X6 Sapphire Black - The Batmobile
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2015, 10:52 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJeff
Hey guys - do the mirrors have to come off? I vaguely recall having to rotate the stalks (spring loaded with detent) to expose screws.

Tip - there are several different screw lengths used. Take a photo or make a sketch to indicate what came from where.

Good luck,
Jeff

Yes, they do, just like you described.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2015, 4:05 pm
Noob

k1200gt fairing

there is a picture series on bmwmoa sight by sarge. Yes mirrors come off
Jmc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode