rear end - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2015, 8:53 pm Thread Starter
Noob

rear end

Just heard on TV news recall on BMW motorcycles rear end or final drives. Just caught the tale end of it. Not exactly sure what all details where. Anybody heard anything ? I have a K1200GT. That means Im not surprised. Thank you in advance for any info you might have. I already have had a total final drive replaced at 34000 miles. The only
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2015, 8:28 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helga
Just heard on TV news recall on BMW motorcycles rear end or final drives. Just caught the tale end of it. Not exactly sure what all details where. Anybody heard anything ? I have a K1200GT. That means Im not surprised. Thank you in advance for any info you might have. I already have had a total final drive replaced at 34000 miles. The only
This article is dated yesterday (27 March 2015). It describes a recall for the situation where rear wheel bolts are overtightened, causing the rear wheel flange to crack, leading to the bolts loosening, which can result in the rear wheel falling off.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...ycle/70536412/

If I recall correctly, the torque spec for the rear wheel bolts is 60 nm.

Edit: Here is a thread that just got started on BMWLT about the recalle:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/bike-tal...el-recall.html

... with this link to the official NHTSA announcement of the recall:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...tsa_ids=15V141

Last edited by XMagnaRider; Mar 28th, 2015 at 8:34 am.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2015, 2:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helga
It is only the flange that's being recalled, not the entire final drive. If you've already had your FD replaced with a Gen II, then u have the steel flange on it already and no recall needed. Had my FD replaced about a year ago so have some knowledge on this.

However, tis all a moot point now cause got tired of recalls and sold my bike yesterday, trading it for a 1290 Super Adventure, so it is so long BMW forums......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2015, 11:26 pm
Enthusiast

AHHH...."KTM TIME"...yes,,there were 3 of us that used to go on rides..2 of us on GSs and a KTM somethingerether. It kinda went like this "Meet at 7-11 at 8AM"...."ok, sounds good".....8AM...8:15...8:30...8:45 our cell would ring..."I think I can fix it..I'll be up there shortly"... So whatever time a clock would say you translate that into KTM Time...ie..add 2 hours

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2015, 7:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by moymurfs
AHHH...."KTM TIME"...yes,,there were 3 of us that used to go on rides..2 of us on GSs and a KTM somethingerether. It kinda went like this "Meet at 7-11 at 8AM"...."ok, sounds good".....8AM...8:15...8:30...8:45 our cell would ring..."I think I can fix it..I'll be up there shortly"... So whatever time a clock would say you translate that into KTM Time...ie..add 2 hours
Ah, one can always count on the irascible Murf for the occasional snide comment. In the 21st century, Murf, I believe there are statistics which have the BMW at the top of the most unreliable list. But then again, my eyeglasses Rx may have run out.

Whatever the case, the KTM kicks butt. Don't knock it till you've tried it...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2015, 10:18 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAmK12GT
Ah, one can always count on the irascible Murf for the occasional snide comment. In the 21st century, Murf, I believe there are statistics which have the BMW at the top of the most unreliable list. But then again, my eyeglasses Rx may have run out.

Whatever the case, the KTM kicks butt. Don't knock it till you've tried it...

All in good fun my friend. I have intentionally stayed away from the orange Kool-Aid for fear that it would take me over, put a big grin on my face, and leave me even more penniless than I already am...and of course, cause my divorce. The divorce would then cost me the very (orange) thing that led me down that path to begin with

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode