GT seat "loose" - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2015, 11:11 am Thread Starter

Garage
GT seat "loose"

The front and rear seats on my K don't seem a good fit nowadays. When in the highest position they're fine but when the riders seat is in the low position there seems to be too much "looseness" between the two.

The dealers have had the back end off last year to replace the ESA, is it possible to place the seat adjuster mount incorrectly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2015, 1:28 pm
Enthusiast

Not really. The mount is screwed into the frame. Make sure the rubber bushings are firmly in their "seats". Spray them with silicone and after you have them lined up punch the seat down. I have had them snap down firmly after doing that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2015, 7:44 pm
Veteran

Here are some thoughts:

* There are two very different kinds of seats for the K1200/1300GT.

The "early" type of seat was made for model years 2006 and the first half of 2007. These early seats were manufactured through December 2006 (which was sold as the first half of the "2007" K1200GT model year).

The "late" type of seat was made for the 2nd half of 2007 model production and was included with all of the K1300GTs. Manufacturing of the "late" seat type started in January 2007.

* Each seat type comes as a matched set (rider and passenger). The rider and passenger seat must be the same type or you cannot fit them together. You cannot mix an "early" type 2006 rider seat with a "late" type 2008 passenger seat or visa versa.

* The "early" seats have a single wide tongue that goes from the passenger seat into a slot in the rider seat.

* The "late" seats have two tongues on the outside of the passenger seat that insert into two slots on the outside of the rider seat.

* Here is an image of the two types of K1200/1300GT seats:
http://www.sargentcycle.com/core/med...b1954f92d04646

- - - - -

I have the "late" seat on my 2nd half 2007 K1200GT. It was built in April 2007. On my "late" type seat, the passenger seat has two tongues on the front outside edges that fit into slots on the rider's seat. I have discovered that it is possible to fit the passenger seat into the rider seat incorrectly. Everything locks down, but they don't feel right, and the seat feels "wiggly." When the seat is improperly installed that way, you can lift up on the front corners of the passenger seat and they come up more than they should.

Here is how I make sure my "late" seats are properly fit into place:

1. Insert the front rider seat under the tank. It should be obvious from tank paint fading or dirt or whatever that it is in the correct position.
2. Press down on the back of the rider seat so that the two round rubber/plastic pegs are fully inserted into their respective holes on the motorcycle. At this point, the rider seat should not wiggle provided that you do not lift it.
3. Insert the passenger seat tongues under the riders seat. When both tongues are properly inserted, you should not be able to lift either side of the front of the passenger seat when you press down on the rear of the rider seat (to keep it in place). If you can lift the front of the passenger seat after the tongues are inserted, then you probably inserted the tongues too high behind the rider seat. Try again.
4. Push down on the back of the passenger seat until the latch engages. The seats should be locked in place. You may check the front of the passenger seat again to make sure it does not lift or wiggle.

That was for my "second type" K1200GT seat (late 2007 and beyond).

If Steve's K1200GT has the "early" seats, then I wonder whether the tongue is fully engaged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2015, 6:02 pm Thread Starter

Garage
hi thanks for that, mine is also late 2007
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2015, 10:55 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by slparry
hi thanks for that, mine is also late 2007
You're welcome.

Was that the answer (misalignment of the passenger seat tongues when inserting the passenger seat behind the rider seat)? Is it a snug fit now? When the passenger seat is properly aligned, do you get minimal movement when you lift on the front corners of the passenger seat?

In case it matters, my late 2007 rider seat is also in the low position. It has the "standard" seat, not the somewhat rare "low" seat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode