Aftermarket mirrors/LED turn signals - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2015, 2:25 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Aftermarket mirrors/LED turn signals

Anyone here run the aftermarket mirror/LED turn signal units like you see on fleabay ? I would assume since you don't remove the stockers and their "draw" on the electrical system there probably just add-ons without too much electrical issue. Give me your input.....

Prayer is dignity of soul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2015, 8:28 am
Noob

I had those turn signals installed (by myself). No electrical issues. Just hooked them to the to the original turn signal wire.
They look great and more modern.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2015, 8:50 am
Noob

Some pictures...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9784.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	259.4 KB
ID:	17698   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9785.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	17706  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2015, 10:00 am
Veteran

What do you think of the mirrors themselves? Do they degrade or improve rearward view compared with the original mirrors, or are they functionally the same?

The mirrors on a loaner BMW F650GS (single cylinder) motorcycle have a similar "angular" shape to the mirrors shown by Andres. The ones on the F650GS are stylish and useable, but not as practical in terms of the rearward view they display. I wonder whether Andres' K1200GT aftermarket mirrors have similar limitations.

I like the BMW original mirrors that came on my K1200GT. Their position, quality, lack of vibration, and wide field of view are major plusses. One significant reason why I chose a K1200GT over the very similar R1200RT was the position of the mirrors on the K1200GT. I did not like the "down low" position of the RT's mirrors. Living in urban Southern California, I use my mirrors a lot.

By far the worst mirrors I ever saw were on a Ducati. It was effectively impossible to squeeze my elbows in tight enough to avoid having my arms block the rear view. I was told later by a Ducati salesperson that the mirrors are just for regulatory compliance for street legal bikes, but they are intended for racing. He commented dryly that if you are riding that Ducati on the street, everything is behind you and fading away quickly.

By the way, the factory mirrors on the K1200/1300GT are the same width as the side cases. I do not know whether it was designed that way or just fortunate happenstance, but knowing that they are the same width helps when splitting lanes in California. You can use the mirrors as a "heads-up" way to judge the gaps, and be confident that your side cases won't bump other vehicles.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2015, 11:43 am
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
What do you think of the mirrors themselves? Do they degrade or improve rearward view compared with the original mirrors, or are they functionally the same?
I wonder whether Andres' K1200GT aftermarket mirrors have similar limitations.
It took a while to get used to them, but I think the get the job done.
The are wider so you can see more.

The angular shape looks great, but the led turn signals are weak.

But for the 20 dollars o so they cost, I think they are ok.

I still have the original mirrors, so if I get bored I will change them back...

Greeting from Chile.

Andrés.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode