Help with rear break pad sensor, 07 GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2015, 8:39 am Thread Starter
Noob

Help with rear break pad sensor, 07 GT

Hello fellow riders,
I had my brake pad sensor light on the instrument panel. Rear brake pads were ready to change.

I took the bike to my mechanic and he installed alternative brake pads without sensor space.

Then he cut the sensor and tied up the cable. He said that would be enough for the light to go off.

But it did not.

Took the bike to the BMW Santiago and they tried to clear the light, by they could not.

As I installed alternative brake pads, and cut the cable, they said they could not do anything else.

The question is: Is the red light on because we cut the sensor?

What should I do?

I read all the threads about this issue, but found nothing about cutting the sensor.

Thanks for the help (I hate this ugly red light in front of me ).

Andrés.

From Chile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2015, 8:58 am
Enthusiast

The question is: Is the red light on because we cut the sensor?

YES.
cutting the wire does the exact same thing that triggers the light. Since it is cut now, hopefully you have enough to reconnect it thus, returning it into a solid loop somewhere after the connector.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2015, 10:31 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by moymurfs
[B]Since it is cut now, hopefully you have enough to reconnect it thus, returning it into a solid loop somewhere after the connector.

Thanks!

I have all the cable, since we cut it just off the sensor.

So, what do you mean when by "a solid loop"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2015, 10:38 am
Veteran

Hi Andres - You have nothing to worry about. The fix is easy.

Do the following:

1. Strip some insulation off the end of the sensor wire. You should see two wires. Carefully expose the metal wire from the inside of the two wires.

2. Twist the metal wires together so that they make a good permanent electrical contact.
--> Much better: Use a soldering iron to solder the two wires together!

3. Protect the wires with insulation. Electrical tape will work, but shrink tubing is a much better choice.

4. Tie the wires out of the way using a plastic cable tie (tie wrap).

5. Remember to perform frequent visual inspections of your brake pads for wear.

ADDITIONAL DETAILS:

At the end of the brake wear sensor wire is an exposed loop of copper wire next to the brake pad itself. The two separate wires in the sensor "wire" are connected together through that loop. As long as current flows through the loop of copper wire, the warning light stays off. As the brake pad wears down, it also wears down the copper wire. Eventually the copper loop is worn off and the two wires are separated. Because current does not flow between the two wires, the brake wear indicator light on your dash turns on.

When your mechanic cut off the sensor, he cut the two wires apart and current does not flow. If you connect those wires together, the current will flow again, and the brake wear indicator warning light will turn off.

I hope these photos help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake Pad with Slightly Worn Sensor.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	17714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Back Side of Brake Pad with Sensor Wire.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	17722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sensor with Wire Loop.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	17730  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2015, 10:46 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thank you very much XMagnaRider!!!!!

I was thinking the sensor worked all the way arround.

I get now. Third picture is very clear.

I'll get to it tonight.

Otra vez, muchas gracias.

Andrés.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2015, 4:20 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndresLang
Thank you very much XMagnaRider!!!!!

I was thinking the sensor worked all the way arround.

I get now. Third picture is very clear.

I'll get to it tonight.

Otra vez, muchas gracias.

Andrés.
¡A su orden, mi amigo!

Here are some additional notes regarding the wear sensors on 2006-2008 BMW K1200GT motorcycles:

* Brake pads come in pairs, one for each side of the rotor. The brake pad wear sensor is only on one brake pad of the pair. Thus, it is possible for the non-sensored brake pad to wear out and damage your rotor before the brake pad wear sensor wire is worn off and the warning indicator lights up. This is not too common, but it does happen.

* There are two rotors (four brake pads) on the front of the K1200GT. Only one has a brake pad wear sensor on it (out of four). As above, one of the brake pads on the non-sensor side can wear out faster and damage the rotor before the brake pad wear sensor wire is worn off and the warning indicator lights up. This problem is more common.

* There is no source that sells brake pad wear sensors as a separate part. If you want a brake pad wear sensor, you must buy the BMW brake pad that comes with the sensor.
(Now that 3D printers are more common, I wonder if someone can design one. Then again, considering the first two items, why would you want one?)

* Third-party brake pads for the K1200GT do not come with brake pad wear sensors. I do not know if there is a patent issue, or perhaps the market is too small to bother. The most popular third-party brake pads are from EBC and SBS.

* EBC brake pads have notches for a brake pad wear sensor. If your brake pad wear sensor is not completely worn through, then you can move it to an EBC brake pad. The problem is that plastic or resin part is very brittle and it is easy to break, so take your time and be careful.

* EBC rear brake pads are harder and do not respond in the same way as the softer BMW brake pads. This may affect ABS operation on the rear brake.

* SBS brake pads do not have notches for the brake wear sensors.

* SBS rear brake pads are made from a softer material than the EBC pads, more like what BMW uses in its own rear brake pads.

* I had EBC brake pads on my K1200GT (after carefully transferring the wear indicators). After reading the thread below, I switched to SBS brake pads and tied my sensors out of the way, relying on visual inspection now.

* BMW eliminated brake pad wear sensors on K1300GT and K1600GT models. They must have learned something from their K1200GT experience, eh?

Very Helpful Thread About K1200GT Brake Pads:

Here is a thread with a detailed discussion of EBC and SBS brake pads. There is lots of good information here. I know RFW and value his expert opinion very much. :

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=30899
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2015, 6:44 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the info.

Problem solved. Tied together and soldered the cables. Went for ride around the block and gone the light it is!!

I am so happy!!!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2015, 3:00 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
Hi Andres - You have nothing to worry about. The fix is easy.

Do the following:

1. Strip some insulation off the end of the sensor wire. You should see two wires. Carefully expose the metal wire from the inside of the two wires.

2. Twist the metal wires together so that they make a good permanent electrical contact.
--> Much better: Use a soldering iron to solder the two wires together!

3. Protect the wires with insulation. Electrical tape will work, but shrink tubing is a much better choice.

4. Tie the wires out of the way using a plastic cable tie (tie wrap).

5. Remember to perform frequent visual inspections of your brake pads for wear.

ADDITIONAL DETAILS:

At the end of the brake wear sensor wire is an exposed loop of copper wire next to the brake pad itself. The two separate wires in the sensor "wire" are connected together through that loop. As long as current flows through the loop of copper wire, the warning light stays off. As the brake pad wears down, it also wears down the copper wire. Eventually the copper loop is worn off and the two wires are separated. Because current does not flow between the two wires, the brake wear indicator light on your dash turns on.

When your mechanic cut off the sensor, he cut the two wires apart and current does not flow. If you connect those wires together, the current will flow again, and the brake wear indicator warning light will turn off.

I hope these photos help.
Do you cut the wires just before the copper wear pad ( pic 3 ) ?Or just before the male /female connector ?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2015, 12:01 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmc
Do you cut the wires just before the copper wear pad ( pic 3 ) ?Or just before the male /female connector ?
It's not a copper wear pad it's a sacrificial piece of plastic with a molded channel to hold the wire that forms a loop. You can pull the wire out of the channel and discard the plastic. If you caught it before the rotor wore through and touched the wire you can simply tape it sealed then zip-tie it out of the way. If you are anal or want to get fancy, you can follow the wire up under the bikes right side (left, if looking at it straight on) cowl and cut it close to the connector. Near the external temp sensor probe. Up there you can trim the insulation and solder the ends together, and then tape it. You can then discard all the lower section of wire.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2015, 7:38 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moymurfs
It's not a copper wear pad it's a sacrificial piece of plastic with a molded channel to hold the wire that forms a loop. You can pull the wire out of the channel and discard the plastic. If you caught it before the rotor wore through and touched the wire you can simply tape it sealed then zip-tie it out of the way. If you are anal or want to get fancy, you can follow the wire up under the bikes right side (left, if looking at it straight on) cowl and cut it close to the connector. Near the external temp sensor probe. Up there you can trim the insulation and solder the ends together, and then tape it. You can then discard all the lower section of wire.
Thanks.
Did this this morning ( front and rear ) and light still on ?
Any ideas ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode