Final Drive Bearing ? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2015, 7:03 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Final Drive Bearing ?

My bike has been in for re call work ( wheel flange/ fuel pump flange..its had a new fuel pump ) but the dealer has told me that my final drive bearing is rough ( no play ) I only changed the drive oil last week and all seemed ok ?
Whats your take on this..Get it replaced ? Or leave it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2015, 9:23 am
Enthusiast

IF..there's no play, and you didn't pour out at least metal shavings/chunks when you changed it, and the fluid looked ok (used but not burnt), and it's not leaking,,,,,I wouldn't worry about it. The very fine "paste" you find on the magnetic plug is perfectly normal also.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2015, 10:13 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moymurfs
IF..there's no play, and you didn't pour out at least metal shavings/chunks when you changed it, and the fluid looked ok (used but not burnt), and it's not leaking,,,,,I wouldn't worry about it. The very fine "paste" you find on the magnetic plug is perfectly normal also.
Last final drive oil change was around 18 thousand miles ago.
Oil was dark to start with but not burnt, no metal shavings either and no leaks.
Thanks for the advice was starting to worry about a big bill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2015, 8:10 pm
Rookie

I had to replace my final drive this past fall on my 2009 k1300gt at 22,000 miles.

I think I had my final drive fluid change within 2,000 miles of the failure.

For perhaps 1,000 miles before the failure, I would feel very brief odd vibrations from time to time. Maybe 1/4 of a second once every 50 miles. The odd vibration felt like a bit of rough road.

When it failed, it slung grese onto the rim. This is much thicker than the gear oil that lubricates the drive gear.

The dealer diagnosed it as a crown bearing failure and suspected that it likely would have damaged the axle. I bit the bullet and had the final drive replaced for about $2,000. I did get the old parts back and hope to see about rebuilding it for later use or possible sale.

I don't know if I had it checked out sooner if they could have done a less expensive repair.

Are they suggesting final drive replacement or a less drastic repair?

Eric S.
2009 K1300GT - Red
1986 Harley Davidson FXRT - Sold
1982 Yamaha Seca 650 Turbo - Sold
1982 Yamaha XT 200 - Traded in
1980 Yamaha IT 125 - Traded in
1975 Honda XR 75 - Traded in
Honda Z50 - Traded in
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2015, 5:06 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS
I had to replace my final drive this past fall on my 2009 k1300gt at 22,000 miles.

I think I had my final drive fluid change within 2,000 miles of the failure.

For perhaps 1,000 miles before the failure, I would feel very brief odd vibrations from time to time. Maybe 1/4 of a second once every 50 miles. The odd vibration felt like a bit of rough road.

When it failed, it slung grese onto the rim. This is much thicker than the gear oil that lubricates the drive gear.

The dealer diagnosed it as a crown bearing failure and suspected that it likely would have damaged the axle. I bit the bullet and had the final drive replaced for about $2,000. I did get the old parts back and hope to see about rebuilding it for later use or possible sale.

I don't know if I had it checked out sooner if they could have done a less expensive repair.

Are they suggesting final drive replacement or a less drastic repair?
Hi Eric,
They are suggesting a bearing replacement which its self isn't cheap.
But changing or repairing final drives at such low mileages is a disgrace, I have had chains last longer than 20k.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2015, 2:19 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Well...I've decided to bite the bullet and get the work done.
Riding back from the dealers today made me realise how much I love this bike.
BUT....There is a nice low mileage Honda ST1300 in a local dealers ......Mmmmm ?
Decisions decisions...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2015, 3:39 pm
Noob

Funny you mentioned a Honda SST.My K1200S is too harsh on my back for an upcoming 2100 mile trip in Sept and i was looking at a 2006 SST.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2015, 11:51 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyrv
Funny you mentioned a Honda SST.My K1200S is too harsh on my back for an upcoming 2100 mile trip in Sept and i was looking at a 2006 SST.

You need a GT!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2015, 3:33 pm
Noob

hello, just wondering how u made out on final drive, did u go new or replace the bearing

thx bill
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2015, 3:06 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeaden
hello, just wondering how u made out on final drive, did u go new or replace the bearing

thx bill
Hi Bill,
I did neither..I decided I had , had enough of BMW and their unreliability and eye watering repair costs , sold it to a National cash for bikes company and now have a Honda super blackbird and with it peace of mind.

Last edited by Bigmc; Jun 13th, 2015 at 12:47 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode