Inexpensive Parts - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2015, 5:16 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Inexpensive Parts

I am new BMW having just bought a 2007 K1200GT. When I need a part for my Yamaha I simply whent out to the junk yard and pulled the part I needed. Unfortunately it does not have many BMW on site. I am trying to accesserize my "new" bike but cannot afford the BMW prices. For us newbies it would help if we could accumulate o list of reliable but inexpensive web sites that carry parts. An example is a handlebar pull back for $219. I would be grateful for some reliable sites with more inexpensive sites.

Being new to this forum I hope this is the correct place to put this message. If it is I appoligize.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2015, 9:17 am
Rookie

Beemerboneyard.com Seems to have a good reputation. I haven't needed to use them myself...

Eric S.
2009 K1300GT - Red
1986 Harley Davidson FXRT - Sold
1982 Yamaha Seca 650 Turbo - Sold
1982 Yamaha XT 200 - Traded in
1980 Yamaha IT 125 - Traded in
1975 Honda XR 75 - Traded in
Honda Z50 - Traded in
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2015, 11:49 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplsreds
I am new BMW having just bought a 2007 K1200GT. When I need a part for my Yamaha I simply whent out to the junk yard and pulled the part I needed. Unfortunately it does not have many BMW on site. I am trying to accesserize my "new" bike but cannot afford the BMW prices. For us newbies it would help if we could accumulate o list of reliable but inexpensive web sites that carry parts. An example is a handlebar pull back for $219. I would be grateful for some reliable sites with more inexpensive sites.

Being new to this forum I hope this is the correct place to put this message. If it is I appoligize.
Congrats on the K1200GT. May you enjoy many delightful miles with it.

I think of Beemer Boneyard for replacement used BMW parts and consumables (e.g., oil, filters, change kits, etc.).

I have found new and used accessories on eBay at reasonable prices, but they do not appear that often. You have to keep checking. Another source for parts are the forums here (k-bikes.com) and at bmwlt.com and i-bmw.com. As our K1200GTs age, there is less activity, and fewer items for sale.

Many accessories for K1300GTs and R1200RTs and K1600GTs, etc. also fit your K1200GT. At the same time, you must know the differences. For example, your 2007 K1200GT has handlebar accessories holes (for mirror mounts, but many other things too!) that do not exist on K1300GTs.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2015, 2:41 pm
Noob

You might want to re-think your strategy here, the words BMW and cheap don't go together in the same sentence.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2015, 10:08 am
Addict

Regular searches on ebay for K1200GT parts yields great results for me. I have found parts for a fraction of the cost from BMW. Example: a complete wiring harness from BMW is $1300, I bought one for $100 on Ebay, in perfect condition.

On accessories or farkles as we say here, mediocre results on Ebay, good results here on the forum in Classifieds. Expect to pay 20-50% off new prices that way.

As far as going to the junk yard, the volumes of BMW bikes sold are so low compared to Japanese bikes that this rarely works. The people breaking up wrecked bikes all advertise on Ebay.

Keep your eyes open for final drives, ESA shocks and ABS modules, nice to have one on the shelf for the inevitable disaster repair.

Welcome to budget motorcycling BMW style

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2015, 9:06 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by raesewell
You might want to re-think your strategy here, the words BMW and cheap don't go together in the same sentence.
Notice I said inexpensive not cheap
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2015, 12:20 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplsreds
Notice I said inexpensive not cheap
yeeeeeeah, that word doesn't go with BMW either.

There aren't a whole bunch of GTs out there available for parts to begin with. There are personal "comfort" accessories that you will probably have to bite the bullet on if you want them. Bar backs, peg lowering brackets, custom seat etc are rider specific. Sometimes they help a bike sell. Sometimes a owner sells them off. Either way not too many make it to the flea market/classifieds. I know where you are coming from. I stay far away from a BMW service dept. Didn't any of your friends suggest a FJR?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2015, 12:15 pm
Noob

Cheap, inexpensive, semantics neither of them belong in the same sentence as BMW.
Sometimes you can be lucky on Ebay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode