Test rode one yesterday, ordered one today - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2006, 7:53 am Thread Starter

Test rode one yesterday, ordered one today

Tested both the R1200RT & K1200GT back to back yesterday. The new RT is much smoother than the 1150 but not the tool for me. It seems to be too upright and top heavy for my taste.

The new GT - WOW!!!! Goes like a rocket and corners like it's on rails. Great mirrors and fits me like a glove.

Delivery early part of May ready for my tour of Spain, Portugal and France in June.

can't wait!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2006, 7:43 pm
Noob

did about the same thing, rode a buddies GT and the next day I was looking and found one the next day, flew to central CA and rode it home. What a bike!!! I like it more every time I ride it and I've had a bunch of bikes but this is by far the best. Did put the lowering pegs on and am still getting used to them, not sure they'll stay on as getting to the shift and bkake levers is a little weird but I do like th extra legroom so my knees aren't bent so much.

gary b
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2006, 8:21 pm

peg lowering

Quote:
Originally Posted by azk1200gt
did about the same thing, rode a buddies GT and the next day I was looking and found one the next day, flew to central CA and rode it home. What a bike!!! I like it more every time I ride it and I've had a bunch of bikes but this is by far the best. Did put the lowering pegs on and am still getting used to them, not sure they'll stay on as getting to the shift and bkake levers is a little weird but I do like th extra legroom so my knees aren't bent so much.

Did you readjust the shiift lever down?? If you do so, it is just like without the lowering kit.
Also, I can't imagine why you would use the rear brake anbyway, with the linked brakes. I never have used it in 4K miles, all traffic conditions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2006, 9:04 pm

congrats
you'll never be sorry for this decision

wonderful
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2006, 11:57 pm
Noob

still used to hitting rear rearr brakes from all those years without the BMW system so maybe I'll get over that but the GT is so good I'm sure I'll work through that!!!!

gary b
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2006, 9:51 am

Congrats on the purchase BMKrider! Rode my '06 13K miles in just 6 months and loving it more and more each ride. An amazing bike for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLAPTRAPPER
Also, I can't imagine why you would use the rear brake anbyway, with the linked brakes. I never have used it in 4K miles, all traffic conditions.
I still like using the rear brake when doing tight U-Turns. Other than that, I never touch it either.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2006, 10:50 am

I also test rode the GT and RT back-to-back and was coming from an 1150RT. There was no doubt in my mind that I wanted the GT. In my case the dealer had the bike I wanted in a week!!! Getting ready for a long New Year's Eve ride
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2006, 7:54 pm
Looking for better limits...

Rear brake comes handy with stop-n-go driving through (hilly) San Francisco. U turns, too, and sometimes just to use it for practice, as I once in a blue moon ride something else that doesn't have the linked brakes. 'Course, leaving plenty of stopping room helps, too.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 6:54 am

Rear brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLAPTRAPPER
Did you readjust the shiift lever down?? If you do so, it is just like without the lowering kit.
I use the rear brake in parking lots when slow speed cornering and drag braking around curves. If you hit the front brake in slow speed curves, linked or not, you may kiss the pavement.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 7:10 pm

rear brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridwell52
I use the rear brake in parking lots when slow speed cornering and drag braking around curves. If you hit the front brake in slow speed curves, linked or not, you may kiss the pavement.

Well, I guess each of us has different techniques. I find the GT does not "stand up" under braking in a corner, at the same decelleration that "drag braking" would proeduce. In fact, I have found that one can brake quite stoutly with this bike, while cornering. Tire patch not withstanding.

Rusty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode