System Case Question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2015, 6:40 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

System Case Question

I recently bought a super clean, low mileage 2007 K1200GT. The brake pad warning light stays on (pads are good). Other than this only other thing I noticed is both system cases seem a little loose when mounted.

Both system cases move about 1/4 inch on the mounts. The cases are correctly engaged In the bracket and holders. Also, the latch on the back side of each case engages when the handle is pressed down. Are the system cases suppose to have some movement when mounted? If not, is there a fix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2015, 11:44 pm
Addict

Side to side or up and down? Side to side not good, up and down just a little-normal. As long as the catch flips up where it locks to the frame rail you're ok.

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2015, 9:24 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the reply.

There's no side to side movement; just a little movement up and down. The catch on both cases flips up where it locks to the frame rail. Sounds like I'm OK.

I worry about these things because I've had luggage fall off. This included a Krauser bag on a R100RS, a system case on a K12RS and a detachable leather bag on a Harley. The Krauser had crappy mounts. The other two were bonehead mistakes on my part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2015, 10:56 am
Addict

I hear ha. When u remove the panniers and replace , just pull on them a little to make sure they are latched. As long as the locking handle gives you that satisfying little snap at the end of travel and you test it you are good.

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2015, 11:53 am
Veteran

I check cases and latches every time I get on the bike to make sure they are securely attached. It is just a quick lift on the bottom rear of the side cases, and a lift on the top case if it is attached. I also check the latches on the side cases and top case.

I do it because:

* Sometimes I accidentally turn the key the wrong way and the handle pops up. Of course I latch it down again, but it is good to be certain that the cases are locked in place.

* Sometimes I forget to latch the top case. I have never lost anything because the lid stays down due to gravity. (I cannot remember a time when I left the latch not fully locked down on a side case, but it is good to check anyway.)

* I have heard stories from people who lost a case and then continued riding down the road a considerable distance before noticing. I find it hard to believe that any rider would fail to notice the weight, balance, and wind resistance changes, but it has happened to riders whom I greatly respect and are very skilled and aware. If it can happen to them, then surely it could happen to me.

* I have seen loose cases on friend's bikes. One friend's BMW 49 liter top case was missing pads underneath the case which made it scary loose. I am not sure why other cases loosen (e.g., side cases). I don't know why mine have stayed tight and while others have become loose.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2015, 1:09 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
I have heard stories from people who lost a case and then continued riding down the road a considerable distance before noticing. I find it hard to believe that any rider would fail to notice the weight, balance, and wind resistance changes, but it has happened to riders whom I greatly respect and are very skilled and aware. If it can happen to them, then surely it could happen to me.
Believe it or not, you often don't notice missing luggage. When a bag fall of my Harley, I didn't notice until I reached my destination. I back tracked 11 miles and (luckily) found the bag at roadside.

When a Krauser case fell off my R100RS, I wasn't aware until a driver in a car alerted me.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2015, 9:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffJ
Believe it or not, you often don't notice missing luggage. When a bag fall of my Harley, I didn't notice until I reached my destination. I back tracked 11 miles and (luckily) found the bag at roadside.

When a Krauser case fell off my R100RS, I wasn't aware until a driver in a car alerted me.

...quite likely what happened with the Harley is that so many parts just fall off regularly, missing the bags was not that noticeable.......

kbikeinbc.....
07 Kgt
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2015, 11:50 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbikeinbc
...quite likely what happened with the Harley is that so many parts just fall off regularly, missing the bags was not that noticeable.......

kbikeinbc.....
07 Kgt
I wish the brake pad warning light on my BMW would 'fall off'. My Harley has no such nonsense.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2015, 7:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffJ
I wish the brake pad warning light on my BMW would 'fall off'. My Harley has no such nonsense.

Yup....right down to iron on iron. Then your warned. Good system. Great engineering...... for 1956.

kbikeinbc

07Kgt
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2015, 4:48 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbikeinbc
Yup....right down to iron on iron. Then your warned. Good system. Great engineering...... for 1956.

BMW's brake pad wear sensors are prone to failure. That's why they were eliminated when the 2008 K1300GT was released.

Rather than rely on idiot lights, experienced riders make a visual inspection of brake pads for wear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode