Is the 2007 K1200GT Junk? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 9:23 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Is the 2007 K1200GT Junk?

I bought a 2007 K12GT with 36K miles a couple weeks ago. The bike looks showroom new without a single blemish. Beauty is only skin deep, however. On day 2 the front brake pad sensor failed. On day 5 the ABS pump failed.

The dealer who sold me the bike completed a 36K service before I took delivery. When I told them about the problems they were surprised.

I repaired the front brake pad sensor. The wire leading to the caliper was broken by a zip tie some gorilla over tightened at the factory. The dealer offered to install a new ABS pump for $1,500. I've read about stuck brushes in the ABS pump motor. I could do the repair myself, but I've decided to sell (dump) the bike and buy something else. I just don't trust the K12GT, fearing the next problem will leave me stranded at roadside.

I asked the dealer if they would accept the bike in trade for something else. They said no, not until the ABS is repaired. I don't blame them.

I've owned several BMWs over the years, the newest was a 2003. I never had a single problem. What happened to BMW quality?

Last edited by GeoffJ; Jun 22nd, 2015 at 10:10 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 1:43 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffJ
I bought a 2007 K12GT with 36K miles a couple weeks ago. The bike looks showroom new without a single blemish. Beauty is only skin deep, however. On day 2 the front brake pad sensor failed. On day 5 the ABS pump failed.

The dealer who sold me the bike completed a 36K service before I took delivery. When I told them about the problems they were surprised.

I repaired the front brake pad sensor. The wire leading to the caliper was broken by a zip tie some gorilla over tightened at the factory. The dealer offered to install a new ABS pump for $1,500. I've read about stuck brushes in the ABS pump motor. I could do the repair myself, but I've decided to sell (dump) the bike and buy something else. I just don't trust the K12GT, fearing the next problem will leave me stranded at roadside.

I asked the dealer if they would accept the bike in trade for something else. They said no, not until the ABS is repaired. I don't blame them.

I've owned several BMWs over the years, the newest was a 2003. I never had a single problem. What happened to BMW quality?

Those are both very common issues with the GT. The "Gorilla" at BMW is named Hans. He was in charge of tightening that zip-tie, the fuel quick connect boss on the pump flange and torqueing lug nuts and rear caliper bolts into the wheel flange. The ABS can be fixed quickly by Module Master. You still have the fuel strip failure on the horizon to deal with . If I were shopping I would have done a little more homework on the model and then asked what had been addressed on the bike. Some beemers came out with few/minor issues and have run for years. Others, usually with an influx of "technology" have their issues. The GT is one of these.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 8:41 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moymurfs
If I were shopping I would have done a little more homework on the model and then asked what had been addressed on the bike.
Before I bought the bike I asked the dealer if there were any issues with the ABS pump and final drive. There was no record of these items in BMW's dealer database. I bought what I thought was the best (1-owner) K12GT in my price range. The dealer had just completed a 36K service, all recalls were completed, new tires were mounted, and the paint looked showroom new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 11:46 am
Enthusiast

Well I don't doubt that for a minute. The dealer was honest...."No sir, THIS bike has never had any ABS issues."...(that we know of). The real life translation is: " Since it probably hasn't happened yet, there's probably a 75% chance that YOU will still have the ABS to deal with."
Heck, even BMW says there aren't any ABS pump issues. To be exact, the pumps work great, it's the crappy sticking electrical brushes that are the issue. Those issues aren't specific to the GT model either. But BMW has never added them to their "issue" list. I don't believe BMW ever admitted to issues with final drives.....but we all know those stories. The fix for the ABS is relatively simple. But BMW machined the motor to the pump housing and called it "unserviceable", hence, their fix is to replace the unit as a whole. I am surprised the dealer didn't suggest Module Master since there are reports that dealers sent the unit to them for the customer. Maybe it's only a few specific dealerships that really want to help the customer. You MIGHT get them (BMW) to admit to fuel strips, rear wheel flanges, cam chain jumping, switch gear (k1300 models) ONLY because they actually sent notices out.
If you are giving it back then it's a mute point, but I would want the dates the recalls were addressed.
IF you decide to stick it out, you will end up with a darn nice rocket..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.

Last edited by moymurfs; Jun 23rd, 2015 at 12:07 pm.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 12:42 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

I came to an agreement with the dealer today. They offered to install a new ABS pump for $1,200, including parts and labor. I agreed to move forward. I mentioned Module Masters to the service manager. He strongly cautioned me against using rebuilt or used parts. Is his words, "I've seen too many of them come back." Also, since the dealer waived the labor charge in my repair, I would be on my own if a rebuilt part failed.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 1:09 pm
IBR# 366

Sorry this has been such a bummer for you.

The good news is that BMW parts come with a 2-year warranty, so this ABS pump will be covered for a while.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 5:45 pm
Addict

Quote:
He strongly cautioned me against using rebuilt or used parts. Is his words, "I've seen too many of them come back."
Just FWIW, Module Master guarantees the part for 5 years (vs. 2 for BMW.) In fact a rebuilt Module Masters unit may well be a better part than OEM since they modify the motor brushes for improved reliability. Not saying you should change course, just that in this case your service manager may be uninformed.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 7:33 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller
Just FWIW, Module Master guarantees the part for 5 years (vs. 2 for BMW.) In fact a rebuilt Module Masters unit may well be a better part than OEM since they modify the motor brushes for improved reliability. Not saying you should change course, just that in this case your service manager may be uninformed.
I mentioned Module Masters to the service manager. His comment is stated in my post above.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 8:38 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
I mentioned Module Masters to the service manager. His comment is stated in my post above.
Now I'm scratching my head.... $350 vs $1200 5 years vs 2. I wonder just how a service manager would see too many coming back............IF they are warranted by MM... hence, MM would be doing the work and your Service Manager would never see them. I would steer you away from anything that took your money away from me also......

You spend your hard earned $$$$ any way you want. But your situation doesn't have to be as expensive/painful as the dealer wants.

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 8:39 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller
Ditto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode