k1300gt purchase questions - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2015, 8:53 pm Thread Starter

k1300gt purchase questions

Hoping you guys can give me some feed back on a bike change.
My current BMW is an 04K12.RS/GT Great bike, nothing wrong with it, fun to ride, always serviced, 10K miles, blah, blah. Love the bike. However, I've had the bike now for about 8 years. Time for a change. I've owned a lot of bikes so I don't keep anything forever. This is my longest ownership, probably because its been so great.
Looking at either a 2010 K13GT or a 2009-2015 R1200RT.
K13 - don't want an 09, 11 doesn't seem to show up for sale ever, so a 10 it would be; been on one but haven't ridden extensively; I would like to stay on a K but am a bit worried about the K13; thinking the 10 would be ok if all bulletins have been addressed
R12RT - I prefer the styling of the 09-11 and would like to get one of those; However, Boss is pushing for a new 2015 which I don't like the looks of as much. With the new purchase discounts, lower interest, warranty, etc kind of hard not to go for the new 15 though. I test rode a new 2015 and it was good. Not as cool as my K but good.
Not sure which way to go. Any thoughts?
Markus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2015, 11:21 pm
IBR# 366

Ride them all, then you'll know . . .

I like the idea of the RT (lighter weight, lots of torque, shorter wheelbase) but I just don't like the Boxer Buzz. Too many smooth inline-4's for me over the years. I hear the new RT-W is much better, but haven't ridden one yet.

There's no real difference between an '09 or '10 K13GT (none were produced for the 2011 model year). As you said, just make sure all Recalls and Service Bulletins are done, then ride on.

I'd be more hesitant to pick up an '07-'08 K12GT due to several small (and some large) design issues, and I'd stay away form an '06GT with the touchy power brakes.

But the K13GT is still a fine bike that can give you many happy miles.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2015, 10:19 am Thread Starter

Yeah the Boxer buzz really annoyed me when I test rode the 2015 R12RT. Not sure how well I would get over that over time coming from a K
If it would stop raining every damn day I could go out for a couple more test rides.
Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2015, 11:50 pm
Rookie

K1300gt is one great single or two up. We have been doing 12000 miles a year.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2015, 5:47 pm
Addict-oholic

having had the K2002 RS ( GT) for years. I loved it, The moment I took a test ride on the 2006 K1200GT, I fell in love. Then I fell more madly in love with the 2009 K1300GT. This bike has more vastly improved ergonomics, easier handling and less weight. I have had it for 6 years and all that was done was a few recalls, and a remapping of the fuel system, as it did stall downshifting on hot days. All that is past and I really am still in love. I took the k1600Gt for a test drive. very smooth, but 100 lbs heavier.
Go for the 1300GT either 09 or 10 as they are really the same.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2015, 10:26 am Thread Starter

Here's an update for what its worth. Went out to a dealer yesterday to test ride a 2010 K13GT and a 2011 R12RT. I really wanted the K but was also very interested in the R. It was hard to find a dealer that had both so I could test ride back to back. It was also hard to just find a 2010 K13. Here's how it went:
K13 ride - Very similar to my K12 in terms of sound, handling and seating. Bike felt and rode very familiar. I got the impression it was a newer version of my K12 that I could really like. Handled well, rode well, had that great K rocket take off when twisting the throttle. Unfortunately I didn't trust the bike. Bike had 12K on it, none of the recalls had been done and only 1 service had been done at 5K. That didn't bother me too much but the trans was even clunkier than my K12 and other K's I've ridden. Probably clunkier than my old K11. I mean really clunky that even my wife noticed. Beyond that I couldn't get the ESA and ASC buttons to do anything at all. Unfortunately I had to pass on it.
2011 R12RT ride - Nice, nimble, fit great, easy to ride, good shape, nothing wrong with it at all. Wasn't thrilled with the R motor compared to the K but it was fine. Even though I liked it, I didn't feel the urge to buy it. Probably would have bought it if it had been more perfect. Figured I could find a really nice R12RT pretty much anytime. Wife really liked the RT and said she might want one for herself at some point.
Was going to leave without anything when the wife says 'that's a really nice bike there'. I hadn't even looked at it since it wasn't something I was interested in. For the hell of it (and per her suggestion) I took the 2012 K16GTL for a ride and then home.
A K16 was not even in my thoughts at all. I pretty much figured like a lot of people its too big, too cumbersome and not what I need or want. However, it was a really nice ride. Handles surprisingly well even at slow speed, very comfortable, lots of pickup. Getting the K16 allowed me to stay on a K and get the easier riding position that I wanted. Granted its way more of a easy riding position than I was looking for but that's ok. I can always pull the CBX out of the garage for a ride.
I really wanted to want the K13 but it just didn't work. I'll be putting my 03K12 up for sale in the next couple weeks. Hate to see it go but its time. Great bike, somebody will really like it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2015, 5:40 pm
Addict-oholic

Go find another 1300GT. Yes, the tranny is clunky, but when you get the technique down pat, it becomes smoother. Other wise, it is really ten times better than the L12. There only a few minor recalls, and it does not burn oil. I did not do my 2nd oil change until 16 or 17K. All my handlebar buttons work perfectly. All of the switches should have been replaced under a recall. If your dealer wants to sell you the bike, he should fix it properly.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode