Tying down bike, using Pit Bull trailer restraint comments. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2015, 12:02 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Thumbs down Tying down bike, using Pit Bull trailer restraint comments.

I find that the ratchet straps come loose with the front wheel in a chock. What have you used that was successful. Please give comments of the Pit Bull trailer restraint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2015, 8:47 am
Veteran

I would like to know the best attachment points (front and back) for tie-down straps on my 2007 K1200GT. I have heard that you should not attach tie-down straps to the handlebars, for example, because they can bend or break off. Any advice would be appreciated.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2015, 10:25 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
I would like to know the best attachment points (front and back) for tie-down straps on my 2007 K1200GT. I have heard that you should not attach tie-down straps to the handlebars, for example, because they can bend or break off. Any advice would be appreciated.
The K12/13GT presents a bit of a challenge to tie down. About the only places I have found are right above the passenger pegs on the rear, and through the bottom of the wheel carrier on the front (just above the first ball joint bridge.) These spots are lower than ideal but there aren't a lot of other choices. They seem to work in conjunction with a good captive front wheel chock, but not sure if they would be adequate all by themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2015, 2:08 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankr
I find that the ratchet straps come loose with the front wheel in a chock. What have you used that was successful. Please give comments of the Pit Bull trailer restraint.
Frank, I have never used the Pitbull restraint system on my K12GT but I use it all the time on my Aprilia RSV4-Factory race bike and it works perfectly. Provided Pitbull sells the right size pins and arms for the K12GT, then I would think it would work great but obviously the BMW has a very different rear axle set up than a typical sport bike. Call the guys at Pitbull. They are great guys.

Two keys to using the Pitbull stand... one... mount it to the frame of the trailer or use a very large metal backing plate under the trailer. Don't just bolt it to a wood floor. I drilled mine through the metal tube frame. Second, and this is just precautionary, I would not load the bike with 100lbs of gear in the panniers and then use the Pitbull. I am sure it can hold it but why burden any restraint system with extra weight when you can just put stuff on the floor or in the trunk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode