Tour Company Test of new K1200GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2006, 7:05 pm Thread Starter
Statmaster

Tour Company Test of new K1200GT

Unicorn Adventures posted a review of the K1200GT in their blog.

http://www.unicornadventures.org/ind...00gt-2006-test

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2006, 10:22 pm
Telepathetic

Interesting that he prefers the RT for the low end torque. I wonder if that is a reflection of the very tight switchbacks in Europe that may require a low entry speed followed by a blast of power at the apex. I rode the RT1200 in the Alps last summer with my sweetie on the back and I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly the RT could go up those mountains.
That being said I openly admit that I don't do a lot of analysis when it comes to riding. I just get on and go.
Jeffe, just a personal note, I hope you are the first in the US to get a GT. I fear if you don't get one soon, you may explode from anticipation. Of course I want to be second to get mine.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2006, 12:27 pm

Since they tested the French version, the comparison between the R1200RT and the K1200GT blurs somewhat. The GT gets it power cut 30% to meet French law, while the RT only needs to get it power cut around 3%. The RT would run much like the International version, while the poor GT is gutted! With the lower torque of a highly tuned engine, and the whole top of the power band chopped off, the wonder is the the GT will do much more than idle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2006, 1:13 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben
Since they tested the French version, the comparison between the R1200RT and the K1200GT blurs somewhat. The GT gets it power cut 30% to meet French law, while the RT only needs to get it power cut around 3%. The RT would run much like the International version, while the poor GT is gutted! With the lower torque of a highly tuned engine, and the whole top of the power band chopped off, the wonder is the the GT will do much more than idle
Yeah, really!! I wonder how the hell BMW managed to cut the power output from 152HP to less than 110, without major mods. You cannot cut power his much just by diddling with the fuel mapping and still have it driveable! Maybe they reset the ignition cutout from 10,500 RPM or so, to 4000 RPM

Bob.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2006, 3:26 pm

RT vs. GT

Guys,

to confirm what I said and what you noticed: the RT is definitely, from my POV better on tinny twisty roads. The GT is definitely a killer on long "Autobahn" (german highways) runs and for fast large roads with curves. But on twisty roads the full power will get you killed or close to (I had a CBR XX 1100 full power when I was living once in France -shhhhht don't tell anyone - well even had two, and you can be sure the full power was never used on twisty mountain roads, as I am not a Rossi or Corser or Doohan, just a normal bloke).

In regards to power I read that the gas handle turns more on the free version (I hit the stop of the handle while accelerating on the highway, no officer didn't go faster than ....shhht), and they also play with the program of the injection and all that stuff.

Now where my comment is also biased: I love the boxer and its grunt!

Funny enough I read a paper in a french magazine and the same happened: one of the pilots owns a RT and said he would not change for the GT.

One last point: I didn't get down from the GT thinking "now I sell the RT to get the GT", you know that typical "big boys and their toys" reaction when you fall in love

Now you have to ride it and make your own idea (it is anyway a good reason to get a free test ride

Have fun and ride safely!
Thomas
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2006, 4:49 pm

Thomas,

I fully understand, and agree, that given equal power, on tight mountain roads, I'd take the engine that had the broadest and most usable torque, and between these two, it is the RT. Given the shorter wheelbase, the RT gets to be even more of a winner on tight curves. The GT in that situation gets to be like taking cannon to a chess match!

My planned use for it is somewhat different. I plan on using it as my primary long distance sport TOURER, replacing my Gold Wing, as we have thousands of miles of pretty much wide, flat, straight roads here. When I get to the mountains, for a little summertime cool weather riding, it will replace my existing GT as a SPORT tourer.

Besides, I can't have a R1200RT, my wife would think I was copying her ideas

Man, I hope I like the new GT, I'm going to eat a LOT of crow if I don't [Pass the salt, please!] :p
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2006, 7:22 pm
Veteran

Talking

Ya just gotta love the French. Hell, might as well get a Burgmann! And Bob, not being an engineer, maybe they just cut the spark plug wire on one of the cylinders.

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2006, 7:27 pm
Veteran

At the risk of inciting a small riot, comparing the RT to the GT gets a big GMAFB! You gotta be kidding me. Assuming the GT is ANYTHING like the S the RT is not even a consideration! And I have owned the S and have ridden the RT. RT feels like a Toyota Corolla! And yeah, the bulk of the riders on any of these forums are going to get the most out of the RT in the twisties compared to a GT. C'mon folks, get real!

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2006, 8:49 pm Thread Starter
Statmaster

John,

Remember, the French K1200GT is so detuned that making the comparison to the RT is probably spot on. I don't know if they change the rev limiter, or some other method, but if the GT is set to under 110 BHP for France, it makes it pretty much apples to apples to the RT.

Now, in any other country on the planet, the GT leaves the RT in the dust.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2006, 9:10 pm
Veteran

Thumbs down

I guess I should read the user manual more often. I thought rev limiters were electrical/electronic in nature . . . somewhow affected spark/ignition but upon readng my GS manual, seems the rev limiter/governor is actually a fuel-cutoff. Wonder how the (chuckle) BMW drops the Hp for the French (chuckle, chuckle).

Anyhow Jeff, a 110 Hp GT is NO longer a GT IMO.

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode