Got my Bike Back.. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2015, 11:01 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Got my Bike Back..

Well, I finally surrendered the GT for the multiple recalls due to it. Wheel flange and mounting bolts-done. Fuel pump assembly, checked & replaced-done. Got $95 added (yes, I said added) to my credit card for the cam chain jump guard that I installed a while back .
Took the money ....and ran

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2015, 1:04 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moymurfs
Well, I finally surrendered the GT for the multiple recalls due to it. Wheel flange and mounting bolts-done. Fuel pump assembly, checked & replaced-done. Got $95 added (yes, I said added) to my credit card for the cam chain jump guard that I installed a while back .
Took the money ....and ran
I've been off this site for a year but after changing out the brake fluid I decided to come back and catch up with the K community and now I'm more than curious. Just how did you get $95.00 added to your credit card? I did the timing chain jump guard years ago and I just had the wheel flange done last weekend by the local dlr. No offer to add $95.00 to my card! Just curious.

Thanks.

John06KGT (Chesapeake)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2015, 10:30 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I told Nolan up at Adventure that I had already done it and he punched info into his computer. The day I picked the bike up he said something to the effect of: Hey, I owe you for the jump guard. So we put it on my card. $94.39 to be exact. The repair invoice has
Job: Reimburse owner for Installation of Cam Chain Jump Guard.
Job for: 2008 BMW K1200GT (VIN)

Decription

Sublet Labor

Sublet Labor Subtotal ($94.39)

There was no parts breakdown only mention of labor.

But.. as is poetic justice: I just, this week, received my reimbursement for a fuel strip I ordered from Max BMW online.....2 years ago . That's after multiple calls and inquiries. They (Max) obviously got tired of no response from BMW and stroked me a check from their dealership and I guess will wait for BMW to send them the reimbursement.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.

Last edited by moymurfs; Sep 13th, 2015 at 10:39 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2015, 11:04 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John06KGT
I've been off this site for a year but after changing out the brake fluid I decided to come back and catch up with the K community and now I'm more than curious. Just how did you get $95.00 added to your credit card? I did the timing chain jump guard years ago and I just had the wheel flange done last weekend by the local dlr. No offer to add $95.00 to my card! Just curious.

Thanks.

John06KGT (Chesapeake)
You think that's bad? I brought my K1200GT into my local for a variety of services a few months ago. The dealer logged the chain guard recall on the form, even though I had done it a year or two earlier on my own. No doubt they charged BMW for the "work" too.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2015, 10:24 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moymurfs
I told Nolan up at Adventure that I had already done it and he punched info into his computer. The day I picked the bike up he said something to the effect of: Hey, I owe you for the jump guard. So we put it on my card. $94.39 to be exact. The repair invoice has
Job: Reimburse owner for Installation of Cam Chain Jump Guard.
Job for: 2008 BMW K1200GT (VIN)

Decription

Sublet Labor

Sublet Labor Subtotal ($94.39)

There was no parts breakdown only mention of labor.

But.. as is poetic justice: I just, this week, received my reimbursement for a fuel strip I ordered from Max BMW online.....2 years ago . That's after multiple calls and inquiries. They (Max) obviously got tired of no response from BMW and stroked me a check from their dealership and I guess will wait for BMW to send them the reimbursement.

Thanks for the info. I have to go back to the dlr for some parts later this week and I'll mention to Nolan that I did the jump guard a couple of years ago and see what his says.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2015, 10:30 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
You think that's bad? I brought my K1200GT into my local for a variety of services a few months ago. The dealer logged the chain guard recall on the form, even though I had done it a year or two earlier on my own. No doubt they charged BMW for the "work" too.
That almost made me feel better but that's definitely not right and someone deserves a
Makes you wonder how often that happens.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2015, 7:08 am
Addict

I don't think I'm gonna be that lucky. Mine's in for those same recalls plus a clutch and a rear tire. I also asked about the fuel strip thing and they're gonna check into that too.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2015, 10:39 am
Addict

This must be the month when all of us diehards with early K12GT's take in their bikes for all the recalls. Just dropped my 2008, 17,000 mile bike at MaxBMW yesterday for new tires (Michelin Pilot Road 4GT's) and they pulled up my records and told me there were 3 outstanding campaigns on my bike: Wheel flange, Fuel pump and Cam Chain Jump Guard!

My fuel gauge, which was behaving badly on the trip from Fla to NY is working again, but I will rely more on the trip odometer than the gauge, because this pig is to heavy to push.

Previous PR3 tires were worn quite square and handling for the last 500 miles was horrible. They were great when new and lasted 8,000 miles no problem.

While there I wandered over to the new bikes on the floor to see what tickled me, and the temptation to have a bike with a warranty instead of a ticking time bomb is appealing, but not yet $20+K appealing.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2015, 1:27 pm
Addict

That's the same 3 they're doing to mine...plus the clutch, plus a rear tire. I'm looking at close to $2500 to get mine outta there. And that's with a 10% discount on the clutch! At 75K on the OE clutch, they said the plates were badly worn and the basket was shot.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2015, 8:02 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
That's the same 3 they're doing to mine...plus the clutch, plus a rear tire. I'm looking at close to $2500 to get mine outta there. And that's with a 10% discount on the clutch! At 75K on the OE clutch, they said the plates were badly worn and the basket was shot.
So, the three recall items are free, the rear tire is $200 plus installation and the clutch and basket are $2000. Yikes!

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project

Last edited by lhendrick; Sep 18th, 2015 at 3:04 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode