06 GT clutch question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2015, 2:06 pm Thread Starter
Addict

06 GT clutch question

With 76K on the odo, I'm starting to notice that with the clutch pulled in (in 1st gear) and starting the bike, it tries to move forward. The shifting is still fine although finding neutral is getting a little trickier. And there are times when stopped with the clutch pulled in it feels like the bike wants to inch forward. Is this a sign the clutch is about to go, or can this adjusted out?

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2015, 9:58 pm
Rookie

I would say yes, do you have any history on the bike? If this is 76k and first clutch that's really good. There's no real adjustments, if I were you I'd try the Barnett plates only and bypass the dealer if possible
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2015, 10:25 am Thread Starter
Addict

Most that mileage is mine.

Is there a How To on replacing the plates? I couldn't find it in the search.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2015, 2:30 pm
Enthusiast

Wow, 76k on original clutch! I thought I was easy on mine but I just had to have dealer replace mine at 52,000. My buddy had his K12R replace at only 30k. Mine would not go in to neutral.

2006 GT
2002 RT sold
1985 Maxim X sold
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2015, 3:04 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeler
Wow, 76k on original clutch! I thought I was easy on mine but I just had to have dealer replace mine at 52,000. My buddy had his K12R replace at only 30k. Mine would not go in to neutral.
Yeah, I've been lucky. I've got a call in to the local shop to see what it's gonna cost. I found a video on how to do it, but I don't have the space or tools so it's off to the shop.

Do you remember how much your was to replace?

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2015, 1:31 pm
Enthusiast

$1070 parts and labor. Expensive, but cheaper than a new K16.

2006 GT
2002 RT sold
1985 Maxim X sold
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2015, 3:26 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeler
$1070 parts and labor. Expensive, but cheaper than a new K16.
I hope mine is that cheap. I called yesterday to talk to them about it. They said worst case would be around $2200 including labor. They also told me I had 2 or 3 warranty recalls on it that I never got a notice on. One was for some bracket on the rear that could crack and one was for the fuel pump. Soooo....maybe since they have to do all that some of my labor costs will go down. Yeah, right.

On a side note....I found a place that claims they can rebuild the OE ESA shocks, so I picked up a used one on eBay and shipped it off this morning for rebuild. I'll add that to all the other stuff I need done to the bike. The dealer's gonna love to see my wallet coming!

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2015, 4:21 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
[QUOTEI found a place that claims they can rebuild the OE ESA shocks, so I picked up a used one on eBay and shipped it off this morning for rebuild.QUOTE]

Let us all know the vendor if he is successful

I love this bike, but have been putting $50 a month into the "unusual repair" fund. Maybe it's not enough

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2015, 11:40 pm
Noob

new Clutch plates for me

So, just like you dwsdad, at 85K miles the coupling cap was replaced on my bike. 15K miles later with original clutch plates, after a long trip and oil change my clutch started slipping and lurching forward from neutral to 1st and then it became almost impossible to find neutral. I ordered the Barnett clutch pack and had it changed, immediately the rattling in neutral was diminished and the shifting was 80% better. --Almost every wedge K bike i have ridden has had a "clunky" shift.-- Anyway, 200 miles in on the new clutch pack and it just doesn't seem to have the responsiveness that is once had. Now when cruising in 4th and twisting the throttle it seems to take a second then really starts to go as before when you twisted the throttle you took off like a rocket. my question is, if the dealer replaced the coupling cap, why wouldn't they say something about the plates? When we took the plates out, one of them was worn all the way down and the other was almost worn into nothing. Could it be more than just the clutch plates?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2015, 7:20 am Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhinton
So, just like you dwsdad, at 85K miles the coupling cap was replaced on my bike. 15K miles later with original clutch plates, after a long trip and oil change my clutch started slipping and lurching forward from neutral to 1st and then it became almost impossible to find neutral. I ordered the Barnett clutch pack and had it changed, immediately the rattling in neutral was diminished and the shifting was 80% better. --Almost every wedge K bike i have ridden has had a "clunky" shift.-- Anyway, 200 miles in on the new clutch pack and it just doesn't seem to have the responsiveness that is once had. Now when cruising in 4th and twisting the throttle it seems to take a second then really starts to go as before when you twisted the throttle you took off like a rocket. my question is, if the dealer replaced the coupling cap, why wouldn't they say something about the plates? When we took the plates out, one of them was worn all the way down and the other was almost worn into nothing. Could it be more than just the clutch plates?
You would have thought the dealer would've done the plates at the same time. I guess maybe it depends on how competent the mechanic, uh, tech, is that's doing the work.

As much as I've heard about the Barnett clutch plates, I'm going to just let the dealer install whatever he thinks best (read that as BMW I'm sure). I just hope the basket isn't worn out.

Did you soak the plates in oil before installing?

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode