2007 K1200GT Transmission Failure - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2015, 6:21 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Exclamation 2007 K1200GT Transmission Failure

I am hoping to get a bit of advice. I have a 2007 K1200GT with 44,000 miles on it. I've had all the standard interval service and take excellent care of my finely tuned machine.

I've had all the standard issues with Clutch squeal, and throttle stick that many people have had but aside from the clutch squeal the bike engine, transmission and final drive have always run beautifully. I have never found any metal in any of the fluid changes.

Just took a 2000+ mile road trip after changing the oil and about 1500 miles into the trip I got a false neutral between 5th and 4th gears while down shifting through some twisties. the next morning I downshifted from 6th to 5th gear to pass a vehicle when the RPM's spiked and the gears slipped then suddenly gabbed with thud and a clank. Then slipped again, and grabbed. The next pass it occured again. Initially only occurring above 5000 RPM with a good amount of throttle. I had to start skipping 5th gear. Now if I do go into 5th gear it slips under any load at all. All of the other gears are solid so I assume its not a clutch issue.

I am afraid I'm going to have to replace the entire Transmission, and of course I'm out of warranty. I have owned 5 bikes over the years and put close to or over 100K miles on all of them and never once had a transmission go out. Any ideas, as to what it might be. I've scheduled an appointment with my dealer service department, but they can't see it till next week.

This is going to set me back a few bones. $$$$$

Of course the Fuel Strip went out on the same trip but at least BMW will cover that. Only good thing is perhaps I can fix the clutch squeal and redo the clutch at the same time.

If I do have to replace the tranny, can the Transmission for the K1300 replace it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2015, 12:11 am
Noob

Same thing just happened with me, I replaced the clutch plates with Barnett. Total off eBay was $159. the BMW clutch pack is about $800.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2015, 12:12 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhinton
Same thing just happened with me, I replaced the clutch plates with Barnett. Total off eBay was $159. the BMW clutch pack is about $800.
You were able to replace the clutch and fix the problem? Were you having slipping issues in all gears or just one?

I have a hard time believing its just the clutch since all the other gears are engaging properly. I'm concerned the dogs for 5th gear are pre-maturely worn, or were incorrectly machined causing a premature failure.

But I really hope you are right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2015, 7:29 am
Rookie

Unfortunately, I tend to agree with you. Dogs!!!!

Have a read of this:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showth...nsmission+dogs

Good luck buddy
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2015, 11:17 am Thread Starter
Noob

I agree Downunder. Its unfortunate but probably the right conclusion. Will find out for sure this week.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2015, 9:17 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboy
I agree Downunder. Its unfortunate but probably the right conclusion. Will find out for sure this week.
Skiboy, any further on your problem? My 07 S is doing the same thing. 3rd gear is unusable as any load causes it to come out of gear for a split second then engage again. I am going to pull the tranny to see if it is repairable. If not, I will put a K1300 S tranny in it and sell it. I love BMW motorcycles but wish they would build a dependable bike.

KG4KDN

2007 K1200S
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2015, 11:31 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Yes KG4KDN I can provide an update. The transmission completely locked in 1st gear while trying to get it to the shop. Had to trailer it in. The transmission was torn apart and there were metal shavings everywhere. The dogs had started to round in 5th gear and slip and and slipping and grinding had thrown off metal and eventually a small piece caught and bent the shifting fork locking it in first gear. Had to completely replace the transmission and clutch. I was told that in some cases there is a small component on the shifter they can adjust on the left side of the crank case once they get it open, but after checking that first, they had to pull the entire transmission.

I would suggest not riding it till you can get it opened up. or at least change the oil and check the magnetic plug for metal. If you have any metal shavings in the oil they can get into the engine and cause damage to the master crank, and even the cylinder heads and seals since the engine clutch and transmission share one oil system. If the master crank is damaged you'll have to replace the entire engine as well.

The cost for the new transmission, clutch basket, lamellar/and clutch plates and new bearings and seals was over $12,000 from BMW new. I found a wrecked bike with a nearly new transmission and clutch online and bought both for about $1,400 with the surrounding parts, and brand new aftermarket clutch plates from Barnes $300 (BMW makes you buy the whole lamellar package for 800.00 when all you really need to replace are the plates for $300.00) The race team replaces their plates with Barnes. The whole job was done for about $3500 with labor. I found my parts at rubbersideup.com who just happened to have a very low mileage 08 that was just laid down and they were in the process of parting it out. By the way the replacement clutch plates also got rid of the annoying clutch squeal I have had since the bike left the shop. BMW has repeatedly told me I'd have to buy the whole clutch assembly and Lamellar from the K1300 to get rid of the clutch squeal. Turns out I just needed new clutch plates. The BMW ones are poorly designed and have much smaller grips than the Barnes plates.

Hope yours isn't as bad, but I would expect the worst. Your one of several I have talked to with the same experience. I'll most likely sell mine in the spring now that its running. Not going to take the risk of another total transmission failure. Its the best bike I have ever owned when its running, but I have owned a lot of bikes I have put over 100K miles on and never had an engine or transmission failure on any of them. Its happened to too many people and BMW simply won't stand behind anything.

They guy at the shop admitted that they under engineered the final drive and the transmission to handle the power of the K1200GT engine. You can have a shop back east machine the dogs to an angle so they won't slip but most likely the final drive will blow up because it can't handle the torque. They made some changes to beef up the K1300 but not enough and were having some of the same problems. Rather than completely re-engineer the line BMW had enough problems they just scrapped the whole bike and went to the K1600GT/LT. Originally they had planed to launch the K1600LT and keep the K1300GT. I think the K1600GT is nice but it just doesn't ride like the K1200 and K1300GT, too bulky and not sporty enough. The K1600GT is just the LT with the top case off and slightly different footpegs. I'm trying to figure out what sport tourer I'm going to buy next. I love my BMW but really tired of them not standing behind their bikes. If I'm paying a premium for their ultimate engineering then they should stand behind it.
Dobervol likes this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2016, 4:14 pm
Enthusiast

Slight hi-jack

I too recently replaced my clutch at 55,000 mi (and 3 coils...). Hopefully no transmission issues, but I'm feeling like you - time to go to another brand, I just have lost confidence in BMW. I'm looking at the new KTM 1290 GT and the updated FJR. The K1600 is just too heavy. The KTM looks great on paper but I'm not sure about its real world ability with a passenger and trunk as I think it lacks space. The FJR is a know entity but a slight step back in power/weight vs the K12/13.

What are you looking at?

2006 GT
2002 RT sold
1985 Maxim X sold
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2018, 10:05 am
Noob

Just a bump after a couple years to thank the OP here. This is one of several threads on several forums which was invaluable to me in helping to diagnose my weird situation on a '06 K12S which had a fuel pump failure and 2d-gear-trans-dog-failure at almost the exact same time, and I was lost as to how the pump could fix the on/off power in all gears but 2d.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboy View Post
Yes KG4KDN I can provide an update. The transmission completely locked in 1st gear while trying to get it to the shop. Had to trailer it in. The transmission was torn apart and there were metal shavings everywhere. The dogs had started to round in 5th gear and slip and and slipping and grinding had thrown off metal and eventually a small piece caught and bent the shifting fork locking it in first gear. Had to completely replace the transmission and clutch. I was told that in some cases there is a small component on the shifter they can adjust on the left side of the crank case once they get it open, but after checking that first, they had to pull the entire transmission.

I would suggest not riding it till you can get it opened up. or at least change the oil and check the magnetic plug for metal. If you have any metal shavings in the oil they can get into the engine and cause damage to the master crank, and even the cylinder heads and seals since the engine clutch and transmission share one oil system. If the master crank is damaged you'll have to replace the entire engine as well.

The cost for the new transmission, clutch basket, lamellar/and clutch plates and new bearings and seals was over $12,000 from BMW new. I found a wrecked bike with a nearly new transmission and clutch online and bought both for about $1,400 with the surrounding parts, and brand new aftermarket clutch plates from Barnes $300 (BMW makes you buy the whole lamellar package for 800.00 when all you really need to replace are the plates for $300.00) The race team replaces their plates with Barnes. The whole job was done for about $3500 with labor. I found my parts at rubbersideup.com who just happened to have a very low mileage 08 that was just laid down and they were in the process of parting it out. By the way the replacement clutch plates also got rid of the annoying clutch squeal I have had since the bike left the shop. BMW has repeatedly told me I'd have to buy the whole clutch assembly and Lamellar from the K1300 to get rid of the clutch squeal. Turns out I just needed new clutch plates. The BMW ones are poorly designed and have much smaller grips than the Barnes plates.

Hope yours isn't as bad, but I would expect the worst. Your one of several I have talked to with the same experience. I'll most likely sell mine in the spring now that its running. Not going to take the risk of another total transmission failure. Its the best bike I have ever owned when its running, but I have owned a lot of bikes I have put over 100K miles on and never had an engine or transmission failure on any of them. Its happened to too many people and BMW simply won't stand behind anything.

They guy at the shop admitted that they under engineered the final drive and the transmission to handle the power of the K1200GT engine. You can have a shop back east machine the dogs to an angle so they won't slip but most likely the final drive will blow up because it can't handle the torque. They made some changes to beef up the K1300 but not enough and were having some of the same problems. Rather than completely re-engineer the line BMW had enough problems they just scrapped the whole bike and went to the K1600GT/LT. Originally they had planed to launch the K1600LT and keep the K1300GT. I think the K1600GT is nice but it just doesn't ride like the K1200 and K1300GT, too bulky and not sporty enough. The K1600GT is just the LT with the top case off and slightly different footpegs. I'm trying to figure out what sport tourer I'm going to buy next. I love my BMW but really tired of them not standing behind their bikes. If I'm paying a premium for their ultimate engineering then they should stand behind it.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2018, 10:29 am Thread Starter
Noob

I haven't looked at this post in a while. One last update. Bike ran great for another 10,000 miles then the engine blew in Feb of 2018. Too much metal from the transmission failure made it into the engine and wore some of the oil channels reducing oil pressure. Tried to fix it by replacing oil pump, etc. but nothing worked. I could get a used engine online for $2500 but I decided I was done with it and wanted something more reliable. I don't have enough info on the condition of the used engines and the bike's value is at around $5,000 after labor and effort it just didn't seem worth it to worry about another failure. I am currently getting ready to part out an otherwise perfect 2007 K1200GT Panniers and all. Photo of the bike currently.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k1200GT.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	23731  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode