BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

2006 K1200GT Test Ride

8K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  sinc 
#1 ·
Well I've just had a test ride on the new K1200GT and thought I'd let you all know how it went. Before I do, let me tell you that my current bike is an R1200RT, I'm 6ft and weigh 16stone 7lbs (231lbs)

Having read all the brochures and seen that the GT is 20kg heavier than th RT I was expecting a heavy bike but the first thing I did was to take it off the centre stand, in between two bikes, and push the bike backwards into the car park this revealed that the weight is very low and the bike was easier to manouvre than my RT.

When riding, I noticed straight away that the seeting is completely different to the RT, you are tilted forward more in the hips and sit a lot closer too the tank on a narrower seat. This is actually very good for quick riding because you feel far more "in" the bike and not perched on top of it. However a downside maybe that your legs are more cramped but I had the bike for over 1 1/2 hours and didn't suffer in the legroom department.

The engine is extremely smooth and very powerful giving rapid accellaration but the big surprise to me was how tractable and smooth it was at low revs. For example on the RT I take roundabouts in either second or third gear however on the GT you are able to take them in fourth or fifith with no lumpyness in the delivery and sheer smooth traction from as little as 1500rpm. This makes the bike extremely easy to ride and coupled with the low slung weight very manouverable at slow speeds. I did however feel a vibration through the seat when the bike was in overun and I felt

When I got on the motorway I realised that the protection from the screen was not as good as the RT but has no adverse buffeting. The grunt form the engine was great for overtakes in top gear.

I managed to ride down a great "A" road and this is where I REALLY ENJOYED THE BIKE. I think this was due to the planted and secure feel of the Hossack front end. The bike was superb in its power delivery and also in the way it took corners. To best describe it would be summed up by saying that you felt as though you were riding a true sportsbike. It turned in to corners with little effort and held its given line over bumps and ruts and all this was on the Normal setting of the ESA. A friend of mine was riding a GSXR 600 K5 and he couldn't believe how fast I was going on such a big bike, to me it felt totally relaxed and easy going.

The next part of my ride took me through town which was again very comfortable and the bike was great to ride at slow speeds. Some have metioned the on off nature of the throttle but putting it into a higher gear stopped the aggressiveness abd the engine could pull the higher gears no problem.

As you may tell I'm now in a big dilema because although the bike was easier to ride had more power and was just as comfortable I can't decide whether to change from the RT. The only thing I didn't like about the GT was the look of side panels. They are a little too slab sided and I think the RT has a much better side profile. I think I'll sleep on it and make a decision tomorrow.

Keep posting your thoughts to help me decide.

See less See more
#2 ·
Just do it.

I am in the same position and have now traded my R1200RT in on a new GT which I get next week.

I test rode the GT on Saturday and can endorse all of your comments. If you move the seat into the higher position then you can get the same leg angle as the RT but the low position didn't bother me that much.

I took a gamble odering the GT a while ago and am now really plaesed that I did. It is the smoothness of the power and the amount of torque that amazes me. There is more torque everywhere compared to the RT, which was pretty good anyway. I found myself in traffic at 15mph and in top gear. It still pulled smoothly with no snatching.

In my opinion it is what I hoped the RT would be a year ago which,despite great improvements over the 1150, still felt low on power when two up with luggage.

Can't wait now and have got a summer of European touring ahead. I'm especially looking forward to taking it to the IOM.

Tom

#3 ·
Thank yo very much for your well thought out ride report. Anything I say to help you with the decision would of course be very biased. I owned a 12S for over a year and only sold it for the GT, which I am eagerly awaiting. I have an LT, and while a fine touring bike, is somewhat ponderous at slow speeds and I would go out of my way many miles to avoid sand/gravel roads on my LT. I also have a GS and do not intend to malign the Boxer engine, but it's just lacking any thrill. The R12GS is a fun bike, take it [mostly] anywhere, and while it will get up and go, it certainly does lack the responsiveness of the new(er) S/R/GT engine.

I just can't help but think that if you opt for the RT you will at some point in time be sorry. If, however, you are a long-distance tourer with a passenger, then I think the RT might be a better decision.

Best of luck with your 'tough/but fun' decision.

Regards,
John

#4 ·
Great report, and thanks so much for making me even more impatient for mine to get here :D

You wrote in closing "Keep posting your thoughts to help me decide." You don't really expect those of us on the K-bike forums to advocate keeping your RT do you? :hypocrite

You only go around once in this life, go for it! :D :ricky :D

On second thought don't, maybe mine will get here quicker if you lucky Europeans don't snap up all the available GT's before they get here across that big pond! [Evil Grin] :D

#8 ·
The handgrips appear to be rubber mounted (there is a very slight flex) but there are angled supports from the control clusters attached to the bars further towards the bike that would absolutely limit any movement. Quite handy as I used this to fit my RAM mount for the GPS on.

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.